Official Interview: Alex Fayman

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Alex Fayman

Post by kandscreeley »

Good afternoon, all!

Today, I have had the pleasure of interviewing Alex Fayman author of Superhighway (1 & 2 & soon 3.) Superhighway was book of the month in June 2017. If you'd like to view that discussion, click here. There are many volunteer reviews available on OnlineBookClub.org. You can find them all listed on the bookshelves here.

Now on to the interview:

1.Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I was born in the former Soviet Union in a Jewish family. In 1989, when I was 12, my family arrived to the United States as refugees in search of a brighter future. Unfortunately, life in the land of promise was not as easy as I imagined. We were poor and on welfare trying to make ends meet while my parents could learn the language and establish their careers. My first job was at 13. I had to wake up early on the weekends and sweep underground garages and wash staircases of 2 apartment buildings. For the effort, my family received a $200 break on rent. Yet, in the shadows of Hollywood, I was focused on education. Eventually I finished high school in LA, moved to Illinois, finished college with a degree in biology and graduate school with an MBA and a Phd in Finance. I was 30 at the time. The following 11 years I worked as a professor at a university. That’s when Superhighway was born. I wont go into my personal life, but lets just say it has provided plenty of material for the most emotional parts of my stories.

2. When you aren't writing, what do you like to do? What are your hobbies?

I have 3 children living in 2 different states. My favorite thing in the world is going to an airport and getting on a flight to see them and to show all the love I can in the limited time I spend with them. I also enjoy working out, playing tennis, spending time by the ocean in Miami and spending time with a loved one (when one exists in my life.)

3. What person has been the most influential in your life?

I don’t think that I could name a person. I am most influenced by the events in my life. Unfortunately, in this forum, I cannot go into everything I have lived through, but if you read Superhighway, you will definitely get a taste. The test for it is easy, if you're reading my books and you feel tears swelling, it is probably something that had to do with real events in my life.

Now on to your book.
4. Tell us about how Superhighway came to exist. Where did the idea come from?

I was always good coming up with ideas for academic papers. I published a few in the field of finance and economics. When I decided to come up with a premise for a book, I did not know what to expect. I did not have a specific genre in mind. I just tried to come up with the most original idea. On a walk by a river in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Superhighway idea came to me in less than 5 minutes. I had a protagonist flying through the Internet and manipulating databases in his head.

5. Is there any of yourself in Alex's character?

Readers tend to say that Superhighway is different than most books because it is a sci-fi novel stacked with emotional drama. Because the book is written in first person, you trust what the main character, Alex Fine, is feeling. Also, his impulsiveness, relationships with women, focus on education… Yes, I would say that there is a lot of Alex Fayman in Alex Fine.

6. If you could travel through the internet like Alex where would you go? What would you learn?

To be honest, I think I sort of answered that question in the book. The journey that Alex goes on and the things he learns would be the adventure I would find myself on. It is what I imagine I would have done if I was given the electroportation powers.

7. It looks like the book is self-published. Has that been successful? Would you advise other writers to self-publish or try to go through an editor?

I definitely had the book professionally copy edited and I would recommend that to any author. As far as self-publishing, it is more out of necessity than choice. It is difficult to find representation for an author, even if the response to the book is great. There is simply an ocean of books out there and it is difficult to get noticed. I’ve had success in terms of great reviews and a few thousand people reading the book but I envision Superhighway having mass market appeal and I certainly have not been able to achieve that.

8. When is Superhighway 3 due out? Any hints on what it contains?

After a 6 month long hiatus I started working on Superhighway 3 again. I reread what I had and started writing again. I really like where the book is headed. If things go well, I could have the third installment of Superhighway out sometime in the Spring 2018. As far as what it may contain, some more sci-fi action, emotional drama, also hopefully a few mild surprises and some very unexpected events.

9. Are there any other projects that you are working on right now besides the Superhighway trilogy?

As far as writing, I really can’t focus on more than one book at a time. When I write every day, it is like I am living in the world of the main character and I cannot imagine jumping from one world and into another. also think that my life is always an ongoing project. I am really focused on it right now.

10. What is your favorite book?

My favorite book is American Tragedy. I first read it in the Soviet Union when I was 10 years old. It absolutely captivated me. I read it again and again. Interestingly, in the novel, the protagonist is also a flawed adolescent.

How about some fun questions.
11. Coke or Pepsi?

Definitely Coke, more specifically Diet Coke

12. What superpower would you choose?

I think I would do OK with traveling through the Internet and manipulating bank data to make myself wealthy and powerful.

13. Dog or Cat?

Definitely dog, but in a previous relationship, I lived with a woman who had a cat and became quite fond of the creature.

14. What's your favorite TV show? Movie?

My favorite TV show would have to be Seinfeld and my favorite movie is My Cousin Vinny.

A couple of notes from the interviewer: I love stories like this where someone is able to pursue and achieve their dreams. We all have dreams hiding deep inside, but not all of us are bold enough to pursue them. Also, I myself am a Coke Zero person, so I definitely relate to the Diet Coke!

I'd like to thank Mr. Fayman for his time and wish him the best of luck on making Superhighway a main stream success!

Superhighway on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I liked the first Superhighway. I hope to travel the next two too to know how Alex Fine ends up.

Thanks for sharing Alex Fayman's deepest secrets. I think Coke was a character in the book, LOL.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Wow! People with talent are superb! I couldn't have come up with an idea for a book in just five minutes. But I prefer cats no dogs. Hehehe.

Thanks for the very well done review, kandscreeley.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also liked Superhighway. Thank you both for the interesting interview!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thank you guys! I enjoyed getting to know a little more about him!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

I know this is an old topic but I just got done reading Superhighway 1 & 2 and can't wait for the 3rd one to be released! Can't wait to see where the rest of Alex Fine's story goes!
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

6. If you could travel through the internet like Alex where would you go? What would you learn?

To be honest, I think I sort of answered that question in the book. The journey that Alex goes on and the things he learns would be the adventure I would find myself on. It is what I imagine I would have done if I was given the electroportation powers.

--I loved reading this question and I assumed while reading the book - I often found the authors presence in the pages.
ferdy feshril
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ferdy feshril »

Which country have you ever wished to travel to and why that country
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

Coke!!
I like the interviewer. Thanks
Erin Bardwell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erin Bardwell »

Really liked all the details included! I appreciated the small insights into their life!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

It gives and adds inspiration to my being, when I discover that most of the idolised persons in society have had a challenging background, but that did not affect or influence their aspirations in life. I am amazed by Alex's story and awaiting my opportunity when I shall review Super highway . I am curious about Alex Fine.

Return to “Author Interviews”