Official Interview: Charlie Sheldon

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Charlie Sheldon

Post by kandscreeley »

Good afternoon fellow bookworms! The time has come for another author interview. This time we are interviewing Charlie Sheldon of Strong Heart which was book of the month in October 2017. This book has two official reviews both of which are rated 5 out 5 as well as multiple volunteer reviews rated 5.

View Review #1

View Review #2

View book of the month discussion

Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty.

1. For those that are unfamiliar, can you tell us a little bit about you personally?

I grew up in western Massachsetts, went to school and college in New England, and did a lot of hiking and camping and skiing and fishing as a boy. I worked summers on a farm when I was a kid, and when in college cleared brush from beneath power lines summers and after graduating went to sea as a commercial fisherman for a few weeks before graduate school. I studied wildlife biology and resource planning at UMass 1969-1971, a Masters Program. I continued to fish for several years - groundfish, lobster, swordfish, squid, red crab - in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, and I also did some consulting work on gear technology and fisheries management (this was during the fight for the 200 mile limit). I got married and raised a family. In 1984 I changed carers from the fish business to working with ports, and for the next 28 years worked as a planner, project manager, and executive for seaports (New York-New Jersey, Seattle, and Bellingham). In 2012, age 65, retired from ports, I verified my sea time as a fisherman, got my seaman's papers, joined the Sailors Union of the Pacific, and shipped out as an Able Bodied Seaman aboard container ships and military vessels until 2016, when I came ashore for good to focus on three books I had written while sailing. When not working I was hiking, usually in the Olympic mountains near Seattle, and I continue to hike. My kids are grown and launched, I cook for my wife, and I keep pondering tales.

2. Our book of the month right now (Bluewater Walkabout) is about a journey on the ocean and in Africa. Since you trained in wildlife biology, I feel it's only fair that you have to answer the question that every one else is asking: What is your favorite animal?
The short face bear.

3. Let's talk about Strong Heart. Living so near the Olympic National Park, I'm sure that influenced the setting of the book. Where did the characters come from?
The characters appeared. I did a lot of research before starting this book (unlike previous books which I just started and kind of dragged into the light) and had an idea I wanted a range of ages and sexes in the tale, but I did nothing else. One day I just started writing and each character emerged, fully formed, before me.

4. How much research went into this book and how long did it take you to write it?
I pondered a tale about ancient legends, the Northwest Coast, and the wilderness ever since I first moved to Seattle in 1990. I even did a little research, mostly about local tribes and cultures because I was working with Puget Sound Tribes on fishing issues and became fascinated with their history. I started serious research for Strong Heart in 2010 and this continued for 3 years when I had the time, studying human origins, glacial geology, climate, seagoing archeology, the history of the settlement of the Northwest, human DNA history, ice age mammals, primitive weapons....I filled several notebooks. It took me less than three months to write the first draft, the fall of 2013, and then it took another nearly 3 years to adjust, prune, cut away, and refine until I felt it was right.

5. Did you have a specific audience in mind when you wrote it?
Anyone who likes adventure tales, the Pacific Northwest, and strong female characters.

6. What is the most important thing you want your readers to get out of the book?
If someone who reads the book keeps thinking about the characters and the issues raised in the tale, is provoked to think, and enjoys the story, I have been successful.

7. I see from Amazon that you have a few other books out. Can you tell us a little bit about those?
Fat Chance, my first finished and published novel, is a caper set in New York about the 80s, which was published by Pocketbooks and then republished by Felony and Mayhem Press. Chasing Davy Jones, Iuniverse, is about the fishing industry in the 1970s when the 200 mile bill was passed and everyone thought dollar bills would be leaping from the ocean and a young skipper with great ambition and in a huge hurry runs into some bad characters and makes some bad decisions. Guardian, also Iuniverse, is about a young man finding his strength and power in a new sport as his family comes apart around him.

[To view the author's works on Amazon, see the author's page on Amazon: here]

8. Do you have any more books that you are currently working on?
Yes - Adrift, the next book in what I am calling the Strong Heart series, will be published by IronTwine next summer or fall, and this tale continues with some of the same characters and issues first seen in Strong Heart. There is a third book in the Series, Found (though that title may change) which I have written and am adjusting, as well. There is a fourth tale I can't wait to start, also in the same series. Plus, I'd like to do a couple of non fictions books as well.

9. Are you a reader yourself? If so, what do you like to read?
I am a reader, I like fiction and non fiction both. I find myself returning to the great old classics again and again - Melville, Conrad, Dos Passos....

10. Who in your life has influenced you the most?
Interesting question. Earlier in my life I would have mentioned others, but as the years have passed and life has intervened, family, kids, making ends meet, tragedies and difficulties, a few little triumphs, I find myself now saying, without hesitation, my father.

And a few fun questions:

11. What's the best gift you have ever been given?
Quilts made for me by my wife.

12. Describe your worst Holiday experience.
Once my wife and I took the little passenger boat 20 miles up Lake Chelan to Steheiken in the Cascades to a weekend rental there over Christmas. Steheiken can only be reached by boat, there are no roads, and the lake usually does not fully freeze. It was cold, there were 2 feet of snow on the ground, and few people around. We had to carry our bags a mile to the cabin. Still, the stove was warm and it was nice. But. We had to be out of the cabin by 11 am. So we packed up and left the cabin, humped our gear that mile back to the ferry dock, and waited. The boat was 4 hours late and we, and about eight other people, stood on that cold dock, because there was nowhere we could go to get warm, and shivered and beat our feet before it finally arrived about dusk. That key information - the huge gap between leaving the cabin and the boat's arrival - was missing from all the information we had read about "holiday in Stekeiken". We haven't been back.

[Interviewer note: That does sound really horrible. My hands would be turning blue by then. I don't know how they did it!]

13. What's your favorite movie? TV Show?
Favorite movie - The Professionals, an old western. TV Show? I don't watch TV.

Strong Heart on Amazon

Strong Heart on OBC Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The holiday experience does sound awful. I hope the other holidays were better.

Thank you both for the interesting interview! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Gali! I agree... I sure hope Mr. Sheldon has had some enjoyable Holidays after that!
—Neil Gaiman
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

Great interview! I had the feeling that he was not yet done with "Strong Heart". Now he has confirmed it.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

He sounds like a really busy author! There are so many books and projects that are in the works. I'm currently reading one of his books and it's pretty good. I can't wait to read some of his other works!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Nice interview! I'm enjoying Strong Heart at the moment. Really enjoying all the effort and work put in to researching the setting etc for the story.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

He definetly did his research. That's for sure.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

6. What is the most important thing you want your readers to get out of the book?
If someone who reads the book keeps thinking about the characters and the issues raised in the tale, is provoked to think, and enjoys the story, I have been successful.
Strong Heart is awesome. It was not an easy read, especially in the middle part where Sarah is relating her abduction and canoeing experiences, but the rest of the story more than compensates. I have always been fascinated with Indians, at least since I started singing "Ten Little Indians."
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ten Little Indians? Sheesh... I forgot about that! :)
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

This is a good interview Kandscreely. It is daunting to think about all the time and research that goes into a book like this!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Definitely Kat! Anything with any true history is going to require quite a bit of research!
—Neil Gaiman
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Waiting on the sequel to Strong Heart. I enjoyed the book. And looking forward to many more. Congratulations Sir.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I am so happy to learn there are more Strong Heart books coming. When I finished it the first thing I thought was that I needed more. :D
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm interested to find an author who doesn't watch television.
Very cool interview.
DONNEO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by DONNEO »

Strong heart is well composed and interesting, I don't mind going through it over and over, I love it. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Author Interviews”