Official Interview: Madeline Claire Franklin

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Interview: Madeline Claire Franklin

Post by ALynnPowers »

On Tuesday, October 27, I had the pleasure of casually chatting with one of my favorite indie authors, Madeline Claire Franklin, whom I discovered from a free book promotion on Amazon. Check out my OnlineBookClub review (and a more detailed story of my discovery) for the novel The Hierophant here: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... 53&t=31164

Amy: First of all, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview! I'm excited, but kind of nervous!

Madeline Claire Franklin: You're welcome, and thank YOU! I do not feel worthy of an interview, lol.

A: Haha. Well, we'll see about that!! So, let's start off with the basic info. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.

MCF: Well, I am really bad at knowing what to say when people ask me to tell them about myself, that’s for sure. :D Let’s see. I am a life-long resident of Buffalo, NY, so I have several good stories about epic unexpected snow storms and a strong desire to move to the equator every January. I play a million different instruments, none of them proficiently. I have three cats named after science fiction heroes (Luke, Leto, and Lando) and a dog named Rusty who I never call Rusty, but do call Boof, Boofington, Lord Boofington, The Beast of Boofington Hill, etc. I also have a BA in media study, and a minor in anthropology that was my original major, which I often regret switching from. Let's see, what else...my favorite movies are the original Star Wars, and my favorite books are the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

A: I often see Boof pop up on Twitter. I actually thought that was his name! Haha!

MCF: It might as well be! I have a habit of giving animals one name, and calling them something completely different. I had a cat named Cozmos who eventually became The Bean. That is ALL I ever refer to her as.

A: Hahaha, that's great!! So what was your inspiration for becoming a writer? Did it have anything to do with those interests?

MCF: Well, it’s three-fold. One: my passion for story. Not just appreciating the stories I read or watch, but the constant unfolding of fictional stories inside my head. I can’t help but fantasize about adventures and people and situations and concepts. In fact, it used to worry me that maybe I was crazy, until I started writing it all down.

Two: my love of words. Everything and everyone I observe is first observed, then translated immediately into prose in my head. I love words. I love how words feel, how they evoke, how they can be only the barest representation of what is meant, but that meaning is still understood. How you can say one thing and mean several different things, all at once. It’s total magic.

And three: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. I’ve loved writing and stories my whole life, but it wasn’t until I read that book that I felt like I really had permission to pursue writing professionally.

A: I have never heard of this book, but I might need to check it out. So when did you first start writing?

MCF: Technically, I wrote my first short story when I was in kindergarten, right after watching the movie version of The Last Unicorn. (I basically plagiarized the movie, but imitation is the best way to learn, right?) I was lucky to attend a school where they encouraged creative writing (at least until high school), so English was always my favorite subject. It wasn’t until 4th grade that I really started writing regularly, just for fun. In 5th grade, I wrote my first novel. It was over 160,000 words :shock: But I didn’t start writing with the intent to publish until I was 18 and believed my words might actually be “ready.”

A: That's pretty impressive for a 5th grader!

MCF: I was impressed with myself, that's for sure :D One of my "friends" made fun of me [for spending so much time writing] though, so I stopped talking about writing for years.

A: Ball park estimate: how many books total have you written, publishable or not?

MCF: I'd say about 8, and some of the unpublished I haven't quite given up on!

A: Then I guess I have something more to look forward to! Tell us about what you have already published.

MCF: Aside from some articles about "student life" in the teen section of the local newspaper (lol) the first thing I ever published was a short futuristic story called “Robot Pony.” It was a test-run for publishing my first novel, The Poppet and the Lune, a (some say “dark”) fairy tale that was originally written as a free web serial. My second book was The Hierophant, the first book in the Arcana Series, a young adult contemporary fantasy series. After that there were life things that distracted me from the Arcana Series for a bit, and I wrote and published Ghost City, a post-apocalyptic magical realism novel. Finally, this past summer I published The Tower, book two in the Arcana Series.

A: I am familiar with all of these! I have the whole collection in paperback and in ebook format! Are these self-published, or do you have a publisher/agent??

MCF: (DISCLAIMER: I have nothing against either traditional or self-publishing!) These are self-published works. I have strong feelings about knowing when and why to self-publish, so it was not a decision made lightly or with the assumption that I would be successful. But it is the path I felt I needed to go with these books. I am hoping to shift into a hybrid publishing career soon--I feel like that makes the most sense for me in this day and age.

A: Hybrid publishing? I've never heard that before. Is it like partially self published? With the help of some publisher?

MCF: Sort of! It can mean different things to different people, but to me it would mean having a literary agent, publishing what sells to publishing houses, and self publishing what doesn't, but I get all that valuable feedback from a bunch of professionals in the process!

A: Oh, I see... so you kind of get to let the public see whatever you want, not just what a publishing house wants. Makes sense.

MCF: A lot of times a book gets passed over for publishing because they don't think it will make a ton of money, not because it's "bad."

A: Yes! That’s true! I know someone (won’t name names here) who was rejected for that exact reason recently!

MCF: The Poppet and the Lune happened in a similar way. I had feedback from editors at publishing houses who said they loved it to death, but thought it was too strange to get picked up anywhere.

A: Well, I thought it was pretty awesome!

MCF: Thanks! :D

A: So if you had to choose a favorite of your books, which would you choose and why?

MCF: Straight up, let me just say I hate “favorite” questions! I can’t choose favorites. I have reasons for loving all of my books, like I would love all of my children if I had any. I love The Poppet and the Lune because it is so comforting to read, and made of some of the purest magic I’ve ever experienced while writing. I love Ghost City because I think it is, critically, my best work, and there are scenes that I still think of to this day that make me swell with pride. I love The Hierophant because I experienced some of my deepest healing writing that book, and I love The Tower because I went to some of the darkest places I could go, and pulled off some of the most magnificent plot twists I’ve ever done. Plus, both of those books are books that would have given teenage me a lot of comfort (and I hope they do the same for other people).

But I guess if I HAD to choose a favorite, it would be Ghost City. There is just something about Kiddo and Noah that speaks very deeply to me. I think they are the best characters I’ve ever created, and the scenes between them are so vivid, and often so gut-wrenching...I just think it’s the most powerful book I’ve ever written, and the closest to my "style" of writing: subtle, weird, almost impossible to imagine pulling off when I first sit down to write, and visceral, which is a big turn off for some people (my mom hasn't read The Tower because it's too dark, lol), but important for me as a reader and a writer. Also, I kinda like that most of the reviews say something along the lines of: “I’ve never read anything like this. Seriously. I have no idea how to describe this book...but I loved it!.” :D

A: Well, you've definitely pointed out the good things about the books. I think The Tower is probably my favorite for the exact reasons that you said. It is very dark (which I love) and the plot twists are amazing!

MCF: I'm so glad you think so! I was worried the twists were too predictable!

A: Not at all. I thought to myself, "I should have seen that coming!" But there is no way I would have seen it coming!

MCF: That makes my day!

A: Those who don't know what we are talking about are getting teased majorly right now!
Anyway, something I noticed when I got my paperbacks was how BEAUTIFUL the books are. Like, serious top-quality, and they stand out against other self-published books I own. The paper, the print quality, the binding, it's all so amazing. And then there are the gorgeous covers!! Of course! Who designed your covers?

MCF: D'awww, shucks. Well, I publish my print copies through CreateSpace, and they tend to do a pretty good job! As for the covers...I commissioned artwork for The Poppet and the Lune, but I designed the cover. I did hire someone to do the original (now the paperback) cover for The Hierophant, but as much as I love it, it just doesn’t work for online sales, so I designed an ebook cover myself. I mimicked the paperback design when I published The Tower, and again designed a separate ebook cover. Ghost City I designed myself, from start to finish. I guess my media study degree came in handy after all!

A: Wow, impressive! I'm actually quite shocked about the CreateSpace most of all. I guess you must have formatted and sized it just right! And as for designing your own covers, your media studies degree definitely came in handy. Now I know where to turn when I need some help. (Kidding!)

MCF: Lol. As a self-pubber, I'm lucky I have some decent photoshop skills. Hiring people to make covers can be expensive and disappointing.

A: You're right. I've seen some pre-made covers for sale, and I've not been impressed.
Okay, next question!!
Are any of your characters based on you or on people you know?

MCF: Not intentionally, but I think it’s impossible to completely remove yourself and your experiences from your characters, for the most part. It's after the writing happens that I realize how much I am in my own novels. After I wrote The Hierophant I realized that Ana’s experience with magic very closely resembled my experience with anxiety and depression, and her best friend Kyla was this idealized person, representing all the things I wanted in a friend during that time of my life. With Kiddo, well, she was a bundle of qualities that I admired at the time, even though some of those qualities are self-destructive--and until I realized those things were harmful to her, I didn’t realize those qualities were harmful to me, too. So, it’s not that the characters are *based* on me, but writing about them and their emotional journeys has helped me work through issues in my own life, as a by-product. I think all art has that potential for the artist.

A: Spoken like a true artist. As a reader, what kinds of books do you like to read?

MCF: I love reading uniquely fantastical books. I’m not a fan of high fantasy, I've never been into vampires or zombies or werewolves, but I love things that take the world we know and add an element of magic or the supernatural (Nova Ren Suma's IMAGINARY GIRLS does this beautifully). But I also like a good contemporary story, too, as long as the themes are strong and the words are tasty to read. (Yes, tasty.) My ideal book has fascinating (but imperfect) characters, memorable prose, a strong emotional journey, possibly a (satisfying) love story, and most importantly: I can’t predict the plot twists and outcomes. This is a real issue for me (ask my roommates). I’ve gotten too good at predicting books, movies, and tv, and that’s not a humblebrag.

A: Hmm... Sounds like it might be a challenge for some readers to recommend some books that might meet what you are looking for!

MCF: YES. I love book recs, I am trying to read much much more these days!

A: To play Nikolai's advocate (hahahaha, my joke), what kind of books do you NOT like to read?

MCF: Haha, I dislike books that don't make me care about the characters on the first page, or books where the author interferes and makes a character do something totally unrealistic for plot purposes.

A: I'm the same way with characters and unrealistic, forced actions (or words)!!!
Do you prefer reading hardcover, paperback, or ebooks?

MCF: I really enjoy paperback books, especially the kind that fit in my purse. Ebooks are great for travel, and because they are light and easy to hold over your head while reading in bed, but I do love the feel of pages under my fingers. Hardcovers are nice, but unwieldy.

My paperback copies of HDM [His Dark Materials] are so beat up and the spines are so creased. It's love when a paperback starts to fall apart.

A: So do you think that paper books will still be around for the next 10+ years?

MCF: I think so! People love them. I think print-on-demand technology is going to be utilized more, perhaps (that's what most self-pubbers do, to avoid the huge investment of a print run), but I don't think print books will ever disappear.

A: So many people are cheering along with you right now, I'm sure!
Okay, let's take a break from the "serious" questions for a moment so I can ask you some questions sent in my some of the members of OnlineBookClub! Surprise!

MCF: Yay! I love surprises! :D

A: All right, @Graverobber asks the question on everyone's mind: How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

MCF: There are so many questions I have about what kind of zombies, but assuming we're dealing with regular ol' shambling reanimated corpses: I have always wanted to live on a house boat. I would sail out to the middle of the nearest freshwater lake with a fishing pole (and a literal boat-load of weapons and provisions) and go from port to port.
This makes sense in my head, but I am not a zombie expert. I assume they would sink to the bottom of the lake?

A: Good point! If they were water zombies, it might not work. Hahahaha!

MCF: There are water zombies?!

A: There could be water zombies!?!
Now from @Topcho : If you could get any actor (including now desceased actors) to star in a movie made after your book - who would that be?

MCF: Hmmmmm good question!
Aimee Kelly! She’s from the UK and I’ve only ever seen her play a young werewolf, but she would be perfect for Kiddo [in Ghost City].

If I had a time machine, I think Laura Prepon from That 70's Show era would make a great Ana... [in the Arcana series]

A: Ahh... I can see that! The height is a good point!

MCF: I think Avan Jogia might make a good Pax, though he's a bit short for the role.

A: Whoa, he is pretty nice to look at!
There are camera tricks for that kind of thing, right?

MCF: I think so, we could make it work! Just need a time machine for Laura...

A: And last question from @PashaRu which is a two-part question: What is your earliest childhood memory? Follow up: Would you trade it for a lifetime supply of Hershey's kisses?

MCF: Hmm. My earliest memory is from when I was 2 years old, and we were moving from the city out to the suburbs. I was in a stroller by the moving truck, and my second older brother took my toy plastic keys and threw them all the way in the back of the truck, and I couldn't get them.

A: Bad brother!!

MCF: Lol, I know. All my psychological issues probably come from that, haha.
Can they be Hershey's Special Dark Kisses? Because yes, trade away!

A: Hahaha! All right! You take the dark ones and I will take the ones with almonds!
Now back to my own questions: Are you working on anything right now? Anything in the making? Hints in to what we might expect from you the future?

MCF: Oh, I have so many things in mind: a spiritual sequel to The Poppet and the Lune; an epic space opera series of at least 6 books, maybe more (and as the new STAR WARS movie is about to come out, I really wish I’d had the time to work on those a few years ago!); a book about monstrous girls (that’s the best I can do for a description, for now).
As for in-the-works projects, the projected number of books in the Arcana Series is at least 3, possibly 4 depending on where this outline takes me--although I keep toying with the idea of writing a spin-off serial after the end of the series. It depends on a lot of things, like what my career/schedules looks like by then! Right now I'm splitting my time between outlining the next Arcana book, and a stand-alone I started writing last spring. It’s a contemporary magical realism story about girls--wild girls, tame girls, magical girls--and it is speaking to my heart in the same way that Ghost City did: I’m not sure I’m ready to write it, which means I must.

A: Oooh! It already sounds like I have a full reading schedule up ahead of me. No pressure or anything, but.... GET TO WORK! ( :lol: )

MCF: lol!

A: So do you write full time or part time? My guess is part time... but... I could be wrong...

MCF: Part time for now...

A: And where do you see yourself five years from now?

MCF: In five years, I hope I have a lovely literary agent, and a book deal or two with a traditional publisher. If we're talking *dreams* I kind of love the trend of books being adapted for TV, and I personally think the Arcana series would make a great CW show...(someone once called it "SUPERNATURAL with a female lead" :P )
Also, I would like to move somewhere warmer/to a city that is not known around the world for horrible unexpected snow storms. I am so done with that.

A: :lol: That's funny because I am sick of warm weather and would love to move somewhere cold.
All right, so I guess we will wrap this up now. Is there anything else you want the readers to know about you???

MCF: Not that I can think of!

A: Well, thank you again so much for chatting with me, and sorry for keeping you so long! I hope you had as much fun as I did!

MCF: No problem, thank you so much! It was tons of fun!

END

----- ----- -----

Side note: This interview was edited for clarity, time lags, and annoying typos (mostly from my end!).

You can easily find Madeline on Facebook, Twitter (as @madelineclaire_), and Instagram (as @madelineclaire_7) where you can see lots of pictures of Boof.

----

The Books

The Hierophant by Madeline Claire Franklin ~ View on Bookshelves | View on Amazon

Being Medusa: And Other Things That Suck by A. Lynn Powers (interviewer) ~View on Bookshelves | View on Amazon
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Great interview, ALynn!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you both for the interesting interview!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Water zombies :shock:

Head for the hills!!!

Thank you. I really enjoyed reading that! :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Hahahah, I laughed so hard reading this! Lovely interview and lovely answers. Such great sense of humour and everything. I admit I haven't read anything written by this author before, but now you really got me interested and I will dig in further.
And thanks for choosing one of my questions!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks to both of you for the interview! I really enjoyed reading it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Another great interview. Thanks, ALynn :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a great interview. Gosh, MCF sounds super cool. I love the way she describes words and writing. It actually speaks to the long-dormant writer in me. And I grew up an hour's drive from Buffalo! Yeah, the winters there are brutal.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Buffalo is where all the cool people are from!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great interview!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Great interview!
Gracias! It's quite long, isn't it?? I didn't realize it was that long!! It did take almost two hours, I think. Whew!
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html

Post by Topcho »

Wow, two hours! We should really thank you for the hard work! But it is worth it - it is so more entertaining to read a real interview. One, that feels like an actual conversation, and not just a list of questions that was mailed to the author.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Tee hee. Yeah, I wanted it to be like a real interview. :D
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

I love learning personal details about authors, especially favorite authors! This is great, because when you put an author on a pedistal, and then learn that they are more like us normal folks that we ever expected, it makes their books more fun to read. Great interview!

SABernier
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

I enjoyed this interview! I have been curious about what an Author Interview entails, so now I know! :-)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari

Return to “Author Interviews”