Official Interview: Ayn Cates Sullivan, Ph.D.

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Ayn Cates Sullivan, Ph.D.

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Ayn Cates Sullivan, Ph.D. author of Nimue an upcoming book of the month.

Official Review 1

Official Review 2

Purchase Kindle edition (Free on Kindle Unlimited)

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When and why did you start writing?

I taught myself to write when I was four years old, and then to type. I simply loved stories and was always making something up. I told my parents when I was eight years old that I was on earth to be a mystic and author. Luckily my mother is a painter, and my father was a novelist and philosopher, so my ambition seemed normal to them. I had my first poem published by the Artemis Journal when I was sixteen and I have been writing and publishing poems, fiction, and non-fiction ever since. I felt called to bardic tradition and was offered an Overseas Award, which I gladly accepted, and obtained my doctorate at Kings College London in 1993. My focus has been on telling myths and legends for the modern age in order to keep ancient wisdom alive. There are stories that deserve tending because they help us attune with fields of knowing that can guide us through perilous times.

You can find out more about my journey on my website: http://www.ayncatessullivan.com or my popular podcast: https://superpowerexperts.com/wisdom-of-the-ages/

2. What's your writing pet peeve?

Typos. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I read a manuscript I always seem to miss one.

3. Let's discuss your book Nimue. Can you give us a brief synopsis for those that don't know?

I've always loved the idea that there are benevolent beings hidden in the living landscape awaiting the time of their return. Perhaps they are awakening now. Much has been written about Merlin and King Arthur, who I think of as archetypes that return for each age. I also have a deep fascination with the nine Ladies of the Lake. These Arthurian deities appear as secret keys to the ancient Celtic mysteries. Nimue is one of these enigmatic Arthurian figures. Throughout literature she appears as alluring and magical, and sometimes demonic. I have spent quite a bit of time over the years rescuing demonized female characters and restoring them. Part of my curiosity about them has to do with the choices they made that turned them into misfits and rebels. Nimue first appears as the alluring lover of Merlin, but over time she was portrayed as an evil sorceress who entraps Merlin. I contemplated the archetypal pattern behind her many appearances over the decades to discover the holistic and truly magical Nimue. My novel begins in the 21st century with Nina who is told by a healer that she was Nimue in a previous life and that she must go back in time to find Merlin who she sealed in a tree. If she cannot find the wise wizard the world will come to an end. With the assistance of Morgen, another mystifying Lady of the Lake, Nina tumbles back in time and we discover Nimue the young priestess of Avalon. While writing this novel, an insight came to me: almost everyone wants to be seen as good, and yet we all have shadow aspects that define us. Nimue is written for those of us who are brave enough to face our complexities, embracing our shadow and our light, and in doing so discovering something of our wholeness.

4. Why take on the Arthurian legends and Merlin?

These tales can never be told too often. Arthur fights for goodness and Merlin protects magic. The Ladies of the Lake remind us of the secrets that lie beneath the waters of our subconscious, treasures that can be revealed in unexpected ways. Guinevere is the embodiment of the land, a goddess of Sovereignty, and often a misunderstood deity. Merlin, Arthur, and the Ladies of the Lake dwell in the landscape of Albion, mystical Britain, a parallel world that mystics awaken to. In 1993 I earned my doctorate in Anglo-Irish Literature from Kings College London after spending decades wandering the landscape of Britain, Ireland, and France. It was during these years that I fell in love with the tales of the living landscape. Standing in sacred places, we can feel Arthur and Merlin, archetypal deities that help us understand our own nature. They call us to what is noble, magical, and true. They come alive through us. Arthur, Merlin, and Guinevere are not people, but titles given to people in each age. The reason it is important to tell their stories is so they can come alive for each generation.

5. Even though this is a novel, there's plenty of art within the book. Did you draw it? Why was it important to you to include it?

The artwork was created by the talented artist Belle Crow duCray. We have just completed a deck of cards called Imaginosophy that can be used in conjunction with any of the Legends of the Grail stories. Belle and I have a very creative connection. I do a creative visualization when working with each deity to attune to the ancient archetypal wisdom fields. While I'm writing Belle often draws what I am seeing and has completed it even before I am done. It has been a very magical process. We decided to include the artwork in the novel because it invites people to use their imagination. Each one of us has an inner artist and the potential to be a Grail Champion.

6. Which scene was your favorite to write? Which was your least favorite?

I am a romantic at heart and enjoyed writing the scene of Nimue's love affair with Merlin in the Crystal Cave. I disliked the beheading scene at Camelot, and yet felt it was important to include since we understand more about Nimue's complexity.

7. This is part of the Legends of the Grail series. Can you tell us a bit about the other books?

I have collected many folk and faery tales over the years while walking in sacred landscapes of Ireland, Britain, and France. In each story I offer a summary of the myths and legends as they have been recorded, then allow the deities to retell their stories for this age. I write about male and female characters but have been more focused on the feminine deities. I focus on wisdom keepers. Years ago, I was so excited to discover empowered women in the Celtic traditions, and I wanted to bring their stories back to life. Some of the tales date back ten thousand years, such as the story of the Cailleach, the old woman of the world. I fell in love with each of these deities and feel more complete having collected the series. It's as though my ancestors revealed themselves one at a time until a new magical family emerged.

8. Though they can be read in any order, what order would you read them in?

It depends on your interest. If you love Irish stories, then start with Legends of the Grail: Stories of Celtic Goddesses. If your interest is more Arthurian or you like Welsh deities, then start with Heroines of Avalon & Other Tales, which includes the story of the first person to achieve the Holy Grail, who just happened to be a woman. Nimue: Freeing Merlin is a novel that takes the reader back in time to the romance of Merlin and Nimue. Many people love listening to the books on Audible.

9. What's next for you?

I am preparing to launch the next novel in the series which is based on Merlin's sister, and also a card game that goes with the series called Imaginosophy. What I love about the cards is that they invite the seeker to open to the field of wisdom that leads us on the quest for the grail, or toward our wholeness. There are many inquiries or "Quest-i-ons" that invite us to re-imagine the world and our role in it: http://www.imaginosophy.com

I like to end with fun questions.

10. Which season is your favorite and why?

I like all the seasons. During my Celtic wanderings, I became aware of the ancient Wheel of the Year, which celebrate the turning of each season. There are eight spokes in the wheel. In the Celtic world, the New Year is Samhain, celebrated Oct 31-Nov 2, and it is a time to remember the ancestors. Yule is the time of darkness and a time to dream. Snowdrops begin to blossom on Imbolc or St Brigit's Day (Feb 1) inviting in new life. Spring Equinox (Alban Eilir) is the balance point between darkness and light. In May the Beltane fires invite us to celebrate love and romance. On the Summer Solstice we are invited to celebrate the fullness of life. On August 1, Lughnasa is the time of harvest and gratitude for all that we have in our lives. Autumn Equinox is the time of balance between light and darkness, and then we return to Samhain, and to the dreams of the ancestors. The seasons ultimately remind us that while the world may change, the soul's journey is eternal.

11. For the rest of your life, you can only either cook or bake. Which do you choose and why?

Oh, I'd probably find a nice cauldron and, like the enchantress Ceridwen (whose name means poetry), find the herbs to brew up a pot of magical wisdom to inspire the world.

12. Who's your favorite famous person?

Shakespeare.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Katlane Custodio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katlane Custodio »

It so nice to hear that some tales that are not often to be told were being included in this century. The author really makes sure that the protagonist will have it journey to show how she can make mistake and correct it. It is also good to emphasize that even a beautiful person has its own darkness.
lukyamuzicharlesmart
Currently Reading: Cry, The Beloved Country
Bookshelf Size: 73

Post by lukyamuzicharlesmart »

Ayn Cates Sullivan's passion for writing and storytelling from a young age is truly inspiring. Her dedication to the bardic tradition and keeping ancient wisdom alive through modern retellings of myths and legends is a valuable contribution to literature and the preservation of cultural heritage. Her work serves as a reminder of the importance of storytelling and the power of ancient wisdom to guide us through difficult times.
ABDUL HAQ 4

Post by ABDUL HAQ 4 »

it so nice
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 15:05 1. When and why did you start writing?

I taught myself to write when I was four years old, and then to type. I simply loved stories and was always making something up. I told my parents when I was eight years old that I was on earth to be a mystic and author. Luckily my mother is a painter, and my father was a novelist and philosopher, so my ambition seemed normal to them. I had my first poem published by the Artemis Journal when I was sixteen and I have been writing and publishing poems, fiction, and non-fiction ever since. I felt called to bardic tradition and was offered an Overseas Award, which I gladly accepted, and obtained my doctorate at Kings College London in 1993. My focus has been on telling myths and legends for the modern age in order to keep ancient wisdom alive. There are stories that deserve tending because they help us attune with fields of knowing that can guide us through perilous times.
I can relate to and love this so much. I did not teach myself to write, but I did start writing stories when I was about the same age. My grandmother gave me a typing machine that I loved and I was always writing something. I grew up and started doubting everything I wrote, but maybe one day I could have something published, just like you. You cannot imagine how inspired you just made me feel.
Ali Hasemi

Post by Ali Hasemi »

is A good story about becoming a writer.
tarek el anwar

Post by tarek el anwar »

I find myself when I write .. writing comes out of me what the tongue cannot say, describe or express ... For me, writing is the life that I love to live inside and not get out of, in which time passes very quickly
Sorina Casapu
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Sorina Casapu »

I do Nice🔥
noora alkhulaifi

Post by noora alkhulaifi »

Love it
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

I loved this interview. You can clearly feel Ayn Cates Sullivan's love for writing and keeping myths as contemporary as possible in order to make them likable to children of the modern age. I was shocked when I read that the author taught herself how to write and type at only four years old. This is something so rare and unique, it really shows how deeply Ayn Cates Sullivan loves the written word. I personally love legends and myths, and reading stories told in a more modern key is something I always search for in a novel. This interview was truly touching.
Lydia Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-stephen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lydia Stephen »

I can't remember teaching myself how to write or even how I started writing but I remember when I started falling in love with books I was 13 then. I so much loved reading
David Aboagye 1

Post by David Aboagye 1 »

There are stories that deserve tending because they help us attune with fields of knowing that can guide us through perilous times, that’s very true. God bless you for sharing. I love it

Return to “Author Interviews”