Official Interview: Denny Hatch

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Denny Hatch

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Denny Hatch author of Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs.

Official Review

Amazon Purchase

************************************************************************************
1. Tell us a little about what you do when you aren't writing or publishing a book.

I spent 60 years in book publishing and direct marketing. I am technically “retired” but wake up every morning itching to Do Something. So, I started writing and designing Denny Hatch’s Marketing Blog which goes out free to roughly (give or take) 1,000 readers. (http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com).

Another off-trail hobby: We live on the 30th floor of a high rise in Philadelphia overlooking the Delaware River. I have become fascinated with the largest moving objects on the planet—giant noble cargo ships that ply the oceans and the busy-bee little tugboats that hover beside them and keep them safe and out of trouble. I have taken several hundred photographs of the river traffic and they get posted on the Internet.

2. Let's discuss your book Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs. Why did you decide to write such a book?

We love to travel. Alas, COVID-19 forced us to cancel three trips and caused angst and worry. I was regularly tapping into my supply of anxiety pills. We are social folks who love to be with people and, alas, were hunkering down and isolating. In short, I was depressed. Whereupon in the middle of this, my friend Steve emailed what I firmly believe the funniest joke in the history of the world. (If anybody knows a funnier one, I’d sure like to hear it.) This one was told by Buddy Hackett on the Johnny Carson show. Hackett told three jokes: a chicken joke, and cow joke, after which it’s advisable to fasten your seat belt for the DUCK JOKE.

Every time I see it I laugh. And I discovered when I laugh, I am not depressed. I don’t think about COVID-19 or the ills of the world. Humor miraculously wipes out my angst, worry and fear. I decided if I could laugh, maybe I could put together a book of some kind that would cheer people up. I started digging into the last 75 years of my life and coming up with the punch lines of the funniest jokes I could remember. I ended up with 87.

3. How much time did it take you to write and research this book?

Roughly two years.

4. What is a patter song?

Patter songs are found in grand opera, Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, musical theatre, cabarets, supper clubs. They are the most fun music and lyrics in the English language. (IMO.) Here are three of my favorite examples):

a) Marc Ginsburg’s rendition of The Museum Song from the musical, Barnum.

b) The Gershwin Brothers The Babbitt and the Bromide from the film The Great Ziegfeld as interpreted by the two greatest dancers in Hollywood history, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

c) My absolute favorite of all 112 YouTube performance in Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs: Noel Coward’s I’ve Been to a Marvelous Party performed by Dame Dorothy Routledge.

5. You must tell us what your favorite joke is.

Buddy Hacked telling The DUCK JOKE (see question 2).

6. Who do you envision reading this book?

Folks who like to laugh… who like to be cheered up… theatrical and improv producers, singer and actors who are looking for material to present to audiences.

7. Is there a Bawdy Jokes 2? Or anything else in the works?

I’m going to concentrate on my blog for the moment. And make note of Patter songs I failed to include. Among them: Gallagher & Sheen - Atlantic City.

I like to end on fun questions.

8. The reviewer mentioned you were 85 years young. What do you want to be when you grow up?

I hope I never grow up.

9. What's your favorite pastime?

Photographing ships. See #1 above.

10. What one person, living or dead, would you want to have a meal with and why?

Danny Kaye. I met him in 1943 when I was 8 years old. He was the greatest Patter Song interpreter in history. He delivered fast and furious lyrics that you could hear distinctly the last row of the balcony. I would also hope to have Mrs. Danny Kaye along—brilliant lyricist and musician a.k.a. Sylvia Fine—who created much of Danny Kaye's material.

11. Technology. Good, bad, or in between?

I love the good ole days!

The author invites anyone who wants to contact him to email him at: [email protected].
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dent Odhiambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dent-odhiambo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Dent Odhiambo »

I love reading these interviews it gives a new perspective and understanding of the authors.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

An author this old is rare. It was nice to get to hear his thoughts. Amazing interview.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

So much experience here. The author has spent so much time in the Industry, it was so nice reading his point of view.
And yes, laughter heals the bones 🤗🤗.

Return to “Author Interviews”