Official Interview: Linda Maria Frank

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Linda Maria Frank

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Linda Maria Frank author of The Mystery of the Lost Avenger.

Official Review

Purchase on Amazon

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What was your first experience with writing?

Teachers do a lot of writing. I was involved in curriculum writing and this is an opportunity to be creative. I started to teach forensic science in high school in the late 1980’s and then in college. For my high school students, I created mini mysteries for them to solve using their forensic science knowledge and skills. I loved some of the stories, putting characters and settings that piqued my interest as well as the science. They became the skeleton for my Annie Tillery Mysteries.

2. Who has been most influential in your life as an author?

Authors who have inspired me are Stephen King, Diana Gabaldon and Charles Dickens. Dickens sounds like he doesn’t fit here, but he has created the most memorable characters and made them live in the memories of his readers. He also dealt with the social issues of the times, which unfortunately are the same social issues we deal with today.

3. How many books have you written? Do you have a favorite?

In the Annie Tillery Mystery Series: The Madonna Ghost; Girl with Pencil, Drawing; Secrets in the Fairy Chimneys; The Mystery of the Lost Avenger; Making a Mystery with Annie Tillery; Secrets in the Fairy Chimneys: Second Edition.

In the last two mentioned above, I enhanced the books by adding material at the ends of most chapters that explained aspects of writing and research and enhanced the stories.

The Buccaneers Series includes The Buccaneers of St. Frederick Island and the soon-to-be published The Buccaneers of St. Frederick Island: Sibby’s Secret.

Favorite? The books are all so different as far as setting and plot that it’s like asking me who is my favorite child. I love them all, each for their unique stories.

4. Let's discuss your book The Mystery of the Lost Avenger. It's part of the Annie Tillery mystery series. Who is Annie Tillery

I am often asked in interviews, “Is Annie you?” and I reply, “No, I am Annie.” What I mean by that is that I created a character who has the qualities of courage, risk-taking and smarts to take on the adventures that come her way. She also cares about her “family of characters.” She provides me with the adventures I would love to be on. The greatest fun in writing these books is I get to go with her.

5. Part of the book takes place during World War II. How much research did you do for the setting?

The inspiration for this book came one day when I was visiting The Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island, my home. During WWII many of the planes used to fight the Axis were manufactured at the Grumman Plant here on Long Island. I came across an actual Avenger aircraft and could climb into the cockpit. There was a plaque in front of it telling the story of the Rosie the Riveters who manufactured them. Another exhibit featured the Women’s Air Service Pilots or WASPS who tested the planes and flew them to the aircraft carrier bases where they would fight the war. I climbed into the cockpit and knew I had to write a story about these ladies. Long Island, because of its location, was a prime target for spies. I researched that topic and it all fit together in a nice package. On a personal note, my earliest memories are of WWII, and my mother, aunts and her friends telling me about the acts of bravery and sacrifice of those times. The story takes place in the present and in 1943. Annie finds out that her great grandmother Charlotte Wheeler, a WASP, was involved in a mysterious crash of an Avenger plane. The plot involves Annie’s solving that mystery and finding a new relationship with her mother as well as her family’s past in the form of a packet of love letters between Charlotte and her aviator boyfriend. Charlotte reaches out to Annie in ways that will make icicles drip down your spine. There is a taste of the espionage occurring on Long Island as well as the challenges facing women during WWII. There was a lot of research, especially in the archives of The Cradle of Aviation Museum.

6. What is the hardest part of the publishing process for you? What's the easiest? Most rewarding?

The hardest part of publishing is making the decision of how to publish. Once I made the decision to self-publish, the process was not that difficult. Publishing is actually much easier than marketing which most authors, whether they are selfies or traditionally published, must do themselves.

The most rewarding is seeing the book in print, having good reviews and getting comments like, when is the next one coming out, or I love Annie Tillery.

7. Is there a central theme you want readers to walk away with?

For my young readers, for whom I include mystery, history, and science, do not be afraid to try new things, explore and learn about the world around you and beyond. Be adventurous!

For authors, just write your story whenever the mood hits you and then worry about editing, proofing, publishing and the rest. If you have a good story, with your talent and diligence, it will be a book. Make the Internet your best friend and research your options.

8. Can you tell us just a little about the other books in the series?

THE MADONNA GHOST

Annie Tillery sets out with her NYPD Aunt Jill for a vacation on beautiful Fire Island. She meets Ty Egan, setting the stage for a sweet little romance. Together they set out to investigate an eerie ghost from a shipwreck on the island. As the tale of the ghost unfolds, Annie and Ty stumble upon a diabolical plot that impacts national security, threatening the life of Annie’s aunt. This story has it all: mystery, romance, beach adventures and a thrilling plot.

GIRL WITH PENCIL, DRAWING

Girl detective, Annie Tillery, wins art lessons at a glamorous N.Y. gallery. When the director of the gallery is found murdered, the prime suspect is Annie’s instructor, Francesca Gabrielli. While tracking the murderer, all the clues lead to a mysterious brownstone in Brooklyn, where they uncover a ring of art forgers and thieves, who will stop at nothing to protect their fabulous enterprise. Annie and Francesca face death by fire and water in the thrilling conclusion. It’s a case of Nancy Drew meets CSI.

SECRETS IN THE FAIRY CHIMNEYS

This is set in exotic Istanbul, and Cappadocia, land of enchanted caves. The plot involves ancient mysteries, archaeological secrets, and thieves who will commit murder rather than give up the treasures they steal. Annie acquires new friends. Cedric Zeeks is trying to find a link between his African ancestors and the inhabitants of a 9,000-year-old town in Cappadocia. Yelda and Ahmet Atsut, twins with a Ouija board and awesome sleuthing talents, help Annie and boyfriend, Ty Egan, solve the mysteries, both ancient ones and ones that threaten them as they work the 9000-year-old archaeological dig.

9. What are you working on now?

The Buccaneers of St. Frederick Island: Sibby’s Secret. It‘s a sequel to the first Buccaneers book mentioned above. The main characters are a group of 8th graders in a Catholic school living on an island with many possibilities for adventure. They call themselves the Buccaneers. The island has caves which become the focus of the mystery when Sibby Fintail, the local Bay Constable, is attacked while harvesting crystals from the caves. The Buccaneers rescue Sibby and use their crime detecting skills to find out why he was attacked. Stay Tuned. The first chapter is in my newsletter.

https://lindamariafrank.com/coming-soon ... ys-secret/

I like to end with fun questions.

10. What is your favorite leisure activity?

I like the outdoors. In winter, cross-country skiing. In summer, well, Long Island has hundreds of miles of white sandy beaches. I love my garden.

11. What's your favorite holiday and why?

Halloween. People are so creative with this holiday. They come up with all kinds of themes in their yards like graveyards and monster parties. The candy is dandy, and everyone has a good time. After hurricane Sandy hit us right around Halloween, it was a lift to the spirits to have the best time we could with no electricity or heat. Ah, the human spirit.

12. Tell us about your ideal writing environment.

I write the first draft on yellow pads. In my car in one of the beach parking lots, planes, trains and buses are also conducive to my writing. At home, the email calls to me, as well as household chores and the phone. Getting away from all that helps me to get into the zone.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Adekeye-Hassan A
Currently Reading: The Christmas Pig
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adekeye-Hassan A »

This is a great discussion with the author. I am looking forward to read the book.
Jude Medard K
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jude Medard K »

we can clearly see that the author is proud of what he writes and feels in his universe. I think it's an achievement that she embodies
V33ayo

Post by V33ayo »

The confidence of the author is alluring.
JodelleSy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodellesy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JodelleSy »

Will definitively read the books! Thank you for the tip about writing whenever the mood hits different.
Lebogang David
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Lebogang David »

:D well it's pretty obvious that the book it's gonna be great, I'm looking forward to read the book. Awesome 😊
Im_youngclever

Post by Im_youngclever »

This is nice
Oluwaebuka1234

Post by Oluwaebuka1234 »

Wow sounds amazing
I am looking forward to reading this book
Reesha-Gaye W
Currently Reading:

Post by Reesha-Gaye W »

I am intrigued and look forward to reading the book.
Siyamthanda K 1

Post by Siyamthanda K 1 »

This book seems to be Great. Looking forward to it.
Siyamthanda K 1

Post by Siyamthanda K 1 »

This book seems to be Great. Looking forward to it.
Kabo Onamile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kabo Onamile »

The author went an extra mile to construct such content, alluring ❤️
Akashabd62221

Post by Akashabd62221 »

I think the authors imaginary or may be real life incident is being written. Its interesting so i will read for sure
Oyekanmiade1

Post by Oyekanmiade1 »

The author has written a captivating content worth looking forward to read.
Daniel Darko 2

Post by Daniel Darko 2 »

I think the interview had with the author has left us the reviewers in suspends and can not wait to read it when it finally comes out .

Return to “Author Interviews”