Official Interview: Marie-Paule Mahoney

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Marie-Paule Mahoney author of Whale of Wonder.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. When did you know you wanted to write a book?

It was a process that took many years to develop. For over 23 years, I taught French for grades 1 to 12 in a Waldorf School, in Rockland County, New York. This worldwide network of schools is special in that textbooks are not used for grades 1 to 8, which requires teachers to create their own material. So, I wrote short stories in French to entice the children to develop a liking for the language. Having lived there for the first 30 years of my life, I hoped my stories would help my students get a better understanding of life in France and the French people. When I retired from teaching, I began to take a greater interest in nature and wildlife, and I started to write children’s fiction stories—the first was with my husband, a veterinarian, who had written two non-fiction books about his work mainly with non-human primates. I feel that teaching French and writing stories have the same goal: opening windows on the world.

2. Who was the biggest influence on your writing journey?

I find myself returning to the French classics—Albert Camus and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry—where the writing combines an enjoyment of natural beauty with a depth of thinking. I have been moved by Mary Oliver’s poems that brilliantly expose the bonds between all living things. However, my greatest influence has been uncovering the magic of Shel Silverstein, an unforgettable writer and gifted illustrator.

3. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I like to read online articles from major newspapers in different countries to get an idea of what’s happening in their nations. As a contrast, I also like to detach myself from reality and let my mind wander to a visionary fantasy of the beautiful scenery of a natural world that has not been touched by humans.

4. Let's talk about your book Whale of Wonder. Why a children's book?

Although I have taught French courses for adults, my real love for teaching came from my elementary school students. They are part of a generation that sees that the world is bigger than just them, and they are prepared to work to change what they don’t like about it. Their inquisitiveness and enthusiasm about everything (right or wrong) kept me on my toes physically and mentally. In every lesson, they would ask me what Notch keeps asking his mother, Tahlequah, in the book: “Why?”

5. The book follows two whales. Why whales?

Back in 2018, I read a story in the media about an orca, J35 Tahlequah who gave birth to a female calf off the coast of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. The baby died shortly after birth due to emaciation. The mother carried her on her neck, swimming with the members of her pod for 17 days and covering 1,000 miles before releasing the body into the sea. “Why would she do that?” I wondered. The story touched my soul, sparked my imagination, and inspired me to learn more about whales and orcas. It led me to write a fiction picture book based on facts to expose issues of captivity, pollution and survival that the orcas face in the Salish Sea.

6. The book was beautifully illustrated by Ginger Triplett. Tell us about working with an illustrator.

I am grateful to Ginger, a talented artist, who also put her soul into creating the stunning illustrations for the book. I worked directly with the Outskirts Press Illustration Facilitator who, through email only, directed the communication and process between Ginger and me. Each illustration was based on a few sentences taken from the story that I would write in quotes. Additionally, I gave her more details to guide her and sometimes added a photo. For example, I chose the illustration on page 27 of the book to be the main part of the front cover. In the background of the front cover is a photo of Mount Rainier taken from Puget Sound. Here are my notes to Ginger for that illustration:

Quote from the book: “Then together, they propelled themselves into a broad breach in the rolling waves. At a distance a few more orcas joined them. They arched their bodies as if they were dangling in the air.”

Additional details: Above the water –- Spectacular display of orcas breaching. The sea is rough. Close view of Tahlequah and her son breaching. At a distance, other orcas are also breaching. This illustration should try to convey the thought that Tahlequah has regained her joy for life.

7. What are you working on now?

I recently finished writing a story about a goldfish. It is a fiction picture book written with humor that lets a young child’s imagination wonder how love makes you jump over all barriers. I have also been following the next chapter of Tahlequah’s life, pondering where it will take her, and perhaps, me. At the end of the Foreword of Whale of Wonder, I mentioned that she had become pregnant again. A week after the book was published, she gave birth to a male calf who seems to be in good health. During their first year of life, approximately 40% of all calves die. The ten-month-old calf of today has been spotted a few times rolling around on his mother’s back, apparently his favorite game, and playing with the younger orcas of the pod.

I like to end on some fun questions.

8. Since this is a children's book, what was your favorite subject in school?

I was not a good student in school back in France, but I enjoyed learning about the country’s rich and colorful history that spans over 2,000 years from the Celts, to the actual Fifth Republic of today.

9. What's your favorite food?

When I came to the US, I discovered cheesecake, a temptation that is still hard to resist!

10. Mountains or oceans?

I like the sight of snowcapped mountains, but I love the beauty of a coral reef under turquoise water.

11. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

I would like to live in Sark, one of the Channel Islands between the United Kingdom and France. Car-free, without street lights, teeming with wildlife, the island offers breathtaking scenery and a different pace of life.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

Thanks for conducting this interview! It's always fascinating to see how each author reveals their journey into literature and writing, and it's always hopeful to see that good authors can come from anywhere, and that creativity isn't restricted by profession. His work sounds very interesting, and I love his love for teaching, for his students, and for his work, which is reflected in his writing.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I read your book and it just wretched my heart an soul. I love that you just gave an update on your interview about the new calf. Your book is a book that I will be keeping in the daycare library for many children in the future to read.
Thank you.
rocher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rocher »

I have appreciated your warm, and insightful comments in your reviews of my Author Interview and also of Whale of Wonder.
With gratitude,
Marie-Paule
Ellen Grace

Post by Ellen Grace »

As I read your book, it just touched my heart. I love that you just gave an apprise on your interview. Your book deserves a place on my bookshelves. It is worth keeping most likely for the future of new generation. Thank you.
Jamina Alonto

Post by Jamina Alonto »

The book is amazing! Thankyou for the interview. 🥰
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Amazing interview. The pollution of the sea, and the survival of sea creatures is something that is really touching for me.

Return to “Author Interviews”