Official Interview: June Gillam

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: June Gillam

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features June Gillam author of the Hillary Broome series. Today, we'll be discussing House of Hoops.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To view the official review, click here.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Let's dive right in to your book House of Hoops, Book 4 of the Hillary Broome crime novel series. The book is dedicated to Gianna Bryant. Can you tell us a little more about that?

House of Hoops includes adults working to support youth basketball, in which Gigi Bryant and her father Kobe were inspiring role models. Their death was a tragic loss for the whole community of sports-minded people, hence my dedication in that way.

2. In the last interview, you mentioned one way you're like Hillary Broome. Are there other ways in which you're similar?

Hillary is always working to gather courage to fight for the right while knowing she has been in the wrong herself, so she has a multi-faceted personality.

3. This novel, set in 2019, discusses a lot of culturally relevant topics—mass shootings, black lives matter, etc. Why was it important to you to include these?

Due to Hillary’s support of her pre-teen daughter playing youth basketball and her daughter’s friendship with a young player of color in these times of danger from gun violence, those issues from our current culture fell into place naturally as elements that had to be confronted in the story.

4. The reviewer mentions that you open each chapter with a quote. Why and where do you get them all?

As one way to relax, I love to hunt for quotes that express themes in my books. Sometimes I search for quotes related to specific characters, too, such as those by Ambrose Bierce from his Devil’s Dictionary, related to Charlie Bierce, Hillary’s nemesis in House of Hoops.

5. Are there more books planned in the Hillary Broome series? How many?

Thank you for asking! Two are in the works now. Book 5, Nest of White Crows, is fully under construction, and Womb of Slaves just announced itself as number six in the series.

6. How do you deal with criticism?

I appreciate criticism. It helps me improve my writing and also lets me understand my readers better.

7. Speaking of quotes, what is your favorite one?

I have two, but one is more a motto from a tiny cloisonné pin with no source: “Write hard, die free.” The other is attributed to Hemingway: “We are all apprentices in a craft no one ever masters.”

8. What's your favorite zoo animal?

The silverback gorilla for the seriousness of his demeanor which makes me stop and wonder what he is thinking.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”