Official Interview: Mitch Engel

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mitch Engel

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mitch Engel author of The Senator's Suitcase. Incidentally, this book is free on Kindle Unlimited.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Tell us about the first story you ever wrote.

In the early 80's, while working in the ad industry, I wrote a sequel to the classic film, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" ... when Jimmy Stewart was still alive. We pitched it to Hallmark for a Hallmark Hall of Fame ... and they were excited about the project. Unfortunately, the original studio would not relinquish the rights ... so I learned early how elusive success as a writer can be.

2. What's your life outside of writing like?

For many years I was greatly occupied with my business career. But family always has been my greatest joy, and my wife and kids cut me a lot of slack because of my busy schedule. Plus, I've always have had plenty of hobbies ... travel, golf, running, skiing, carpentry, reading (of course) ... plus active with church and non-profits. I was fortunate to retire early and bring balance to my life.

3. What's the biggest pet peeve you've found while reading that you try to avoid in your writing?

Stories/plots that have a great premise and plot for two thirds of a book, then hurry to a disappointing ending over the final third. It just seems like some writers start their works without a good ending in mind ... and it shows.

4. Let's talk about your book The Senator's Suitcase. Where did you get the idea for the book?

As with all my books, I start with a theme I want to develop and "softly" satirize. In this case, the theme I chose was LEGACY ... and then I spent weeks brainstorming possible story lines that would allow me to work on legacy from multiple angles ... and no one seems more concerned about legacy than politicians ... so I chose for the heroine to be a senator ... but in this case, she turned legacy on its ear.

5. The reviewer mentions the realistic and complex characters. Are they based on real people? How did you get them to be so life-like?

None of my characters are ever based on real individuals ... but the joy is in giving them attributes and personalities that aren't all good or all bad. I like to challenge readers to decide for themselves on the merits of a character.

6. Which character was your favorite to write? Which one was your least favorite?

Favorite character to write? That's like asking who's your favorite child. With The Senator's Suitcase, I guess I'd say Troy because he unknowingly would have the biggest surprises coming his way .. and with those surprises the most meaningful transformation. The hardest character to write about was Troy's dad, Junior .... because his life was in great part a tragedy.

7. The book covers important topics like abuse and prejudice. Is there an overall message you wanted to convey?

That these negative acts and influences are real ... and, yes, sometimes we know who the victims are ... but so often we don't ... and the impact never really leaves them. People we pass daily on the street often are compensating and covering for low points in their lives ... and arguably overcoming true hardship is a remarkable legacy often kept to oneself.

8. What's next for you? Are you working on another story?

A non-fiction book is coming out in February that I co-wrote with friend and retired Chicago Tribune columnist/feature writer, Mike Conklin. It is an inspiring story about a school for physically handicapped children in Tanzania. It was founded by the most humble, gracious couple I've ever met ... and they founded it in their early 70's. Twenty years later, the school's students regularly test among the highest in the country ... and their lives have been given significant meaning. The school stands in the shadow of Mt. Kilimanjaro ... and the book is entitled MIRACLES BY THE MOUNTAIN, The Story of Faraja Primary School.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. What's your favorite shopping place, either online or in person?

Antique book stores. I seek them out wherever I travel.

10. Coffee, tea, water, or soda/pop?

Yes, all of the above .... love them all

11. If you had to choose, would you rather be eaten by sharks and die or be stung by a hoard of jellyfish and live?

I'd always choose to live ... so jellyfish. Even if it means all I can do is watch and listen to my grandkids, that is still a life worth living!

12. Jeans, pants, or PJ's?

Jeans and pants, yes. PJ's, never.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I really enjoyed the interview and the fun questions.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

Wonderful interview!!!
I enjoy ur books
I wish you good health to chit-chat more with your grandchildren
top_reader
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam