Official Interview: William John Rostron

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: William John Rostron

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features William John Rostron author of Band in the Wind.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What was the most surprising thing you learned while writing?

There is a two-fold answer to that question. Because of my particular method of writing, I did not keep track of the number of words written. Upon completion of my first book, I was surprised by the total pages I had produced (600). This brought on my second surprise of finding out how difficult it was to cut the content of my book. In the end, my writing was enhanced by the winnowing process. What remained after editing was the best of my thoughts and words. However, it was a long, long process cutting 60,000 words from what ultimately became three books.

2. What author has most influenced your writing?

I believe to be a good writer, you must be a voracious reader. Therefore I have no one favorite. However, some of my favorites are Steve Berry, Bernard Cornwell, David Baldacci, Daniel Silva, and Nelson DeMille

3. What's your favorite quote?

I extensively use song titles and lyrics as an integral part of my writing. Therefore, I favor hundreds of different phrases that are actually song titles. Just a few: "I'm not afraid of getting older, I'm one less day from dying young," "Life is not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

4. Let's discuss your book Band in the Wind. How did you come up with the idea to write about a band?

Though a work of fiction, Band in the Wind and its sequels are based on real-life events. The use of members of a 1960s garage band as the main characters is based on my real experiences. After a certain event of June 19, 1967, I never saw any of my fellow musicians again. For most of my life, their lives were an unresolved mystery to me. My imagination went wild and I created a story around this real event.

5. Why did you choose Cambria Heights in New York?

Fact: Between 1964 and 1970, 90% of the population of Cambria Heights white population sold their houses and moved. It was the most dramatic example of "white flight" in the history of the United States. This is the setting in which my protagonists struggle to find success, while dealing with the trauma of racial tension, drugs, and street fights.

6. The reviewer mentions that the characters were so realistic the book brought him to tears. Were these based on real life people?

Every single character in my trilogy is based on a composite of real people. Some are an amalgam of three or four, while others are very specifically two.

7. The book takes place in the 60s, a time fraught with racial tension. Did you find it hard to write about these events?

No! It was living it that was hard, even as a white person. There was chaos and violence, and at the time it was hard to understand what was happening. However, with the gift of time, it was interesting to analyze and theorize about what really happened. The characters in the book did not have that luxury and were caught in a whirlwind of emotions.

8. What was the most joyous part of the writing process?

During writing, it was the moment when all the plot threads seem to work out just right. After writing, it is the book clubs, interviews, and other instances where my work was showcased. Perhaps the greatest feeling was when excerpts of the book were read/performed on stage in NYC by actors from TV and Broadway. This can be seen on my website: www.williamjohnrostron.com

9. Do you have another book in the works?

Though Band in the Wind is a stand-alone book, there are two other books in the trilogy. Sound of Redemption is available from Amazon in ebook and paperback. It is available in hard-cover from IngramSpark. Brotherhood of Forever is in final editing and should be available by July.

How about a few fun questions to end on.

10. Would you rather have snow or rain?

Definitely snow (though in limited amounts.) We enjoy it through January and then take off each year in our motorhome for a two-month stay in Key West.

11. Paper book or e-book?

I'm old fashioned. Definitely, paperback or even better, hardcover. Love the feel of a book in my hands.

12. What's currently on your bedside table?

I always read fiction and non-fiction at the same time, so No Man's Land by David Baldacci and Shakey: Autobiography of Neil Young.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
samorac
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samorac »

Thanks, Interview really reflects my feelings.
Godomon
Currently Reading: Change How You See Yourself Today
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godomon.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Godomon »

I haven't yet read Band in the Wind, but I definitely will. Using song lyrics in writing is such a good idea. Every time I listen to the lyric of a good song, I am usually amazed by the talent the songwriter has. I think, a good songwriter is actually a good writer. By the way, thanks for this interview.

Return to “Author Interviews”