Official Interview: Jennie Linnane

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Official Interview: Jennie Linnane

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Mar 2018, 10:52

Hello once again my fine fellow bookworms! The time has come for another author interview. Today I've had the privilege of talking to the author of Ironbark Hill Jennie Linnane. This fabulous novel will be book of the month in April 2018. It has received a perfect 4 by our review team. To view the review just click here. Without further ado, let's get to the questions and answers!

1. First, what would you like your readers to know about who you are?
Proud to be Australian, I grew up in a large Catholic family, became a nurse, then a wife, and mother of six. Since widowed, my energies have turned to writing; studying freelance journalism, short story- and novel-writing, and sociology. A farming background has certainly helped my efforts to convey authenticity when shaping my country-life stories.

2. Let's talk about your book Ironbark Hill. The main character Natalie wants to get away from her abusive stepfather. She goes to work for the Glover family and is attracted to the husband. Where did you get the idea for the novel?
There can never be too many advocates for the equality of humankind. The physical strength of non-violent males is to be admired, but even more admirable is the strong but gentle nature of respectful men who are proud to have women stand alongside, rightfully as equals.

Natalie is devoted to her mother but keenly feels the deprivation of natural father-love and seeks a substitute elsewhere in a man who is the antithesis of her step-father. Bruce is a person she is able to respect. His elevated plane of thinking and refined manner are attributes she strives to emulate; this, to improve herself intellectually and thereby rise above poverty.

3. It sounds like there are many emotional and important issues discussed in the book. Is there an overall message you want your readers to walk away with?
The theme of inequality is predominant throughout the story but portrayed also is the resilient human strength required to confront the injustice. Natalie succeeds in this and becomes an exemplar to her siblings.

4. How much of yourself is there in Natalie?
It is hard not to empathise with those of our Indigenous Australians who have suffered varying degrees of discrimination. With my empathy emerged the inception of the novel. Natalie was subjected to bigotry, yet it made her stronger. How much of Natalie is in Jennie Linnane? Very little – a smaller measure of her rebellious streak, perhaps. Indeed, Natalie is stronger and infinitely braver.

5. Who has most influenced you as an author?
The novels of Leo Tolstoy and George Eliot imbue a perennial and powerful influence in readers, leaving many with a particular admiration for the latter who was obliged to publish her brilliant works under a male pseudonym – from any standpoint, blatant inequity.

6. What's the best advice you've ever received?
My excellent tutor of novel-writing, author Kerry Kenihan (mother of the famous Quentin) imparted sound advice: read, read, read! Believe in yourself, keep the focus on your goal, and never give up. Her words are engraved on my mind, and I keep writing. My most recent publication is another Australian country-life story entitled “More Heavens Than One”.

7. What challenges have you overcome as a person? What's your advice to others struggling with adversity?
Life is a succession of challenges, large and small. Coping with one’s lowest ebb in the events of family deaths is undoubtedly among the greatest. Less so, but still a challenge, is encroaching deafness – my nuisance disability. Nevertheless, good emerges in many guises, and to me, it is manifest in an increase in the time spent doing what I most enjoy – writing.

8. If you could have any superpower what would it be? What would you do with it?
If this writer were empowered with super capability, it would be used to ensure that the equality of all humans, regardless of race, gender and religion, became the norm.

9. What's your favorite food?
My favourite food is the Sunday roast lamb dinner.

10. If you could eliminate only one huge problem in the world what would it be? (e.g. Aids, hunger, human trafficking...)
I wish that there could be an adequate amount of food to sustain the seven-and-a-half billion people that populate this beautiful planet.

I'd like to, again, thank Ms. Linnane for taking the time to answer my questions. I urge everyone to go ahead and pick up this book, so that you can participate in the April Book of the Month discussion! To view the book on Amazon click here.

Until our next interview, I bid you adieu!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 111
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Norma
Bookshelf Size: 1862
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 06 Mar 2018, 00:06

Thank you both for the interesting interview! :tiphat:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

kandscreeley
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Mar 2018, 08:38

Thanks gali!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 539
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Never Enough Love by AKA John Lazano
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 07 Mar 2018, 18:35

Oh, I can see by your adieu, that the poetry bug has bitten you!

Thanks for making the author real to us. I am glad she has a positive attitude about her encroaching disability. Empowering women is a worthy call!

Hey, I didn't know George Eliot was a she!

jhomarcams26
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by jhomarcams26 » 18 Jul 2018, 17:57

The author is so gorgeous I definitely read the book for my free time

Janet Bragg
Currently Reading: Find Your Happy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-bragg.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Janet Bragg » 08 Aug 2018, 11:20

Recently I read and reviewed Ironbark Hill, and I loved it. It was very interesting to read this interview and to understand the background of this author. One aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the descriptions of the Australian landscape. One can see that her farming background contributed to these visualizations.

Return to “Author Interviews”