Official Interview: Christoph Martin

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Christoph Martin

Post by kandscreeley »

It's time for another author interview. This time I was able to spend some time getting to know Mr. Martin author of The Expansion which was book of the month in August 2017.

For this book there are three official reviews to check out as well as plenty of volunteer reviews. The official reviews are here:

Review 1
Review 2
Review 3

You also might want to check out the discussion from August about the book of the month. You can view The Expansion forum here: August 2017

Without further ado, let's see what Mr. Martin has to say!

1. Tell us a little about you as a person.

I am a 48-year-old Swiss writer and entrepreneur. My career spans legal, military, corporate and private enterprise. I graduated with a law degree from the University of Zürich, after which time I went on to live and work in Panama - Central America - in corporate and private enterprise for more than a decade. In 2012 I returned back to Switzerland with my beautiful wife and my twin children. Since then I divide my professional time between my home in Zürich and a tiny Alpine village in Graubünden in the Swiss Alps.

2. Who has been your biggest influence in life as a person? As a writer?

I must say that in the last 10-15 years the Swiss tennis star Roger Federer has definitely been a great inspiration. Even with his monster success and career, he is still a very grounded and likable guy. What amazed me most is his ability to reach his best level when he is under big pressure.

As a writer I could not pick a single one. I like the incredible plotting ability of a Lee Child, some stories of John Grisham and the conspiracy in Dan Brown Novels, especially in The Davinci Code. Besides I admire the capability to always create text with beautiful words by my co-writer Libby O‘Loghlin.

3. What is your favorite book?

The Physician by Noah Gordon
The Davinci Code by Dan Brown
The Firm by John Grisham and Perfume by Patrick Süsskind

4. Let's talk a little bit about The Expansion which was book of the month in August. First of all, why the Panama Canal?

As I lived in Panama for over a decade, I got inspired to write this spy novel on the expansion of the Panama Canal which was happening over the last few years in real life and which ran into some major problems that got me thinking ... :)

5. Do you have a follow-up planned and if so when is it expected to come out?

The Expension is set up as a 4-book series. The next book following Max Burns and Karis Deen is called The Arctic and should be released in the second half of 2018. In The Arctic Karis Deen will not only have to survive the killing cold of the North Pole in order to save the life of her newborn baby girl - who has disappeared suddenly and unexpectedly. Have the Russians taken her in order to force Karis to abandon her mission?

The third and fourth books are called Satellite War and The Cloud respectively.

6. Do you have any other projects in the works or any other products that you are promoting?

The Expansion has been translated into German and is scheduled to be released by the end of November 2017.

7. What was your favorite part about the writing process?

I really enjoyed taking my writing partner Libby to Panama and the Swiss Alps and exploring together with her all the locations where our protagonists played their parts.

8. What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to readers or fans?

There is nothing I do not like about our readers and fans. Everybody is entitled to his and her opinion. I am really happy about the great feedback we are getting and quite astonished to see that The Expansion is the front runner for “OBC Book Of The Year 2017” race!

9. Having written a successful book, I'm sure that you've had criticism at some point in your life. What was the biggest obstacle or criticism that you had to overcome? What advice would you give to others that have hurdles they will have to overcome?

I guess we all have to live with criticism, obstacles or defeat from time to time. I am blessed to have been given a very positive attitude in general - I always try to find a positive note in any situation, be it good or bad.

Even though I am not a particularly patient person I tend to never give up if I have started on a new journey. I believe that only perseverance will bring success.

10. This question comes from @RegularGuy3 - Coke, Pepsi, or other?

Diet Coke. I guess because in Switzerland Pepsi is not available everywhere...

11. What is your most memorable family tradition?

Lighting up the real candles on a real Christmas Tree. There is no nicer light on Christmas Eve than some 50 or more burning candles ...

12. Star Trek or Star Wars? (That's a very important question for me as I lean heavily towards one side. I won't influence your answer by giving my side away, though.)

Star Wars, definitely - and sorry if I picked the wrong one. I think George Lucas is a GENIOUS! Hopefully one day he might even consider bringing “The Expansion” to the big screen!? ... ah yes, I forgot to mention: ALWAYS TRY TO DREAM BIG!

[Interviewer note: While, I like both, I definitely am more of a Star Trek fan. Ah well...]

Once again, I'd like to thank Mr. Martin for taking the time to share himself with his readers here.

To view The Expansion on OBC Bookshelves click here.

To view The Expansion on Amazon click here.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
alifr0505
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alifr0505 »

Nice a way,,,
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the mind of Christoph Martin. I am delighted to know we both like Lee Child, John Grisham, and Dan Brown. So, there are three more books in the series! I'm sure the Max Burns/Karis Deen fans will be eagerly awaiting the sequels to The Expansion.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam. I always find it interesting to know who writers like to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Thank you for interviewing Mr. Martin and sharing his responses. His observations about responding to criticism and hurdles are spot-on. Just a side note: George Lucas is a genius but Star Trek is still better.
pjbrown102
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pjbrown102 »

I am new to this site, but was first caught by the comments on John Grisham, Lee Child and Dan Brown. I have read all of John Grisham's books with the exception of the last two (Camino Island & Rooster Bar). I love his books and find that I can read them from beginning to end in one sitting if I have the time. I will be looking for Lee Child and Dan Brown books to see what they are like.

Return to “Author Interviews”