Official Interview: Mike L. Junior

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mike L. Junior

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mike L. Junior author of WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings. This will be book of the month coming up in June.

Buy on Amazon

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What does your schedule look like when you're writing?

My schedule for writing is actually pretty hectic. I just kinda squeeze in a writing session when I'm feeling inspired, which can be at any moment. By working that way I rarely feel writer's block because I just write until the inspiration fades then stop and come back later. Working that way works best for me; although, I tend to procrastinate when I've reached a fairly complex idea because I know it's gonna be a particularly long writing session to fine tune the idea.

2. How did you get your start in writing?

I knew I wanted to write in high school during my senior year when I wrote my senior Memoirs and realized 95% of the things I wrote were made up because I have a bad memory. That inspired me to go to college for writing; unfortunately, my school didn't offer a creative writing major, so I started to get an English degree before realizing that it would be more effective to just start writing and let my failures be my guide to my success.

3. Let's talk about your book WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings. Can you give us a brief synopsis?

Sure, WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings, at its core, is a story of revenge and learning to let go. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where 99% of the planet long since died off from an apocalyptic level event. The planet over a long period of time managed to repopulate itself but living in a very different far more harsh planet. As generations passed the people began to evolve and even gain abilities through mutation in their genes. It's a rather new phenomenon, so even though it affects a large group of people, they are called Abnormals. Being that such a large part of the population died off all at once, a lot of knowledge and history was lost in an instant. So instead of researching, they are shunned, and they have to form their own pseudo families in guilds to feel accepted. My story begins with Cole, the leader of a guild, after he's been betrayed by his brother, Marshall, and beaten to near death and exiled from his guild for something he didn't do. His power-hungry brother takes it over, and he must cross nations on this desolate planet to get the one thing he thirsts for more than anything—revenge. But will the allies he makes persuade him from his blood lust, can they or is he too far gone?

4. Where did you get the idea for the book?

I got the idea from a bunch of smaller ideas I've had over the years. You see, I love superheroes, powers, political intrigue, large open worlds and stories about surviving desolate planets. Add in the fact that I like coming up with complex corners to write myself out of and the story nearly wrote itself. You see I watch a lot of TV, so inspiration is constantly hitting me, and I guess in my head I took aspects from my favorite shows/movies like: X-Men, One Piece, Game of Thrones, and Mad Max. The worlds these shows formed swirled around in my head until the idea formed and bits of each were used to construct the setting. Everything else was a brainstorming session or three away from forming.

5. Part of the population has developed abnormal abilities. What kind of abilities are we talking about?

Well, all kinds of abilities really. There is Nerve Manipulation that allows someone to control how much pain they feel. There is Telekinesis, Body Transformation, Mind Control, Persuasion, Ice Creation and Manipulation, Reality Warping, Super Strength. All strong abilities, all with their own sets of downsides. There are also Abominations, babies born with too much of a mutation that are born deformed with scary strong abilities.

6. Do you identify more closely with any one of the characters?

I try to give every character a small piece of me, but when creating Cole, I took a larger portion of my personality and gave it to him. I mean who doesn't want to be the main character in their own grand adventure.

7. What was the hardest part of writing the book for you?

Procrastination, I get distracted easily, and being that I write whenever I'm inspired, I have a rather loose schedule. So, sometimes I have to actively convince myself to turn the TV off, stop watching other people's beautiful creations and form my own.

8. What's next for you?

Ideally, this book does well, and I can continue the WatchDog series as I have big plans for where this story can go. However, I do also have plans for other books both in the fantasy and sci-fi realm, so hopefully, there is a lot of writing in my future. After all, this is just my first book.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your favorite way to spend your free time?

I love going to the movies, bingeing a series, hanging with friends, playing chess, watching football, or just playing PlayStation; all of which help me relax my mind.

10. Who do you look up to most?

Celebrity wise I'd say people like The Rock, Kevin Hart, or KevOnStage, all African American men who have a crazy strong work ethic. When it comes to writing, I'd say Eiichiro Oda because very few people can create such a vast, vibrant world inhabited by such compelling characters (his work is in Manga form but it's no less awe-inducing). And on the role model front, I'd say my Pops who unfortunately passed away in November of 2021. He was a strong, loving, and compassionate man who I model myself after.

11. If you could win an Olympic medal for any sport, real or fake, what would it be?

Football. I love watching it but never actually played, and it's one of my bigger regrets. It's a team sport, so I'd be sharing the medal if it ever got into the Olympics. But, I think that would be cool.

12. What household chore do you hate most?

Cleaning dishes, especially if they've sat for days.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tanyn Murley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyn-murley.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Tanyn Murley »

This was an enlightening interview. Thank you
jame_s12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jame_s12 »

It's like a book of your dream in your hands. It is good for all people and millenial to know what to expect and don't assume ........ btw very nice book hope you make more in the future
salam haruna

Post by salam haruna »

it was great
MAHAN BABOORIAN
Favorite Book: The Midnight Library
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahan-baboorian.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MAHAN BABOORIAN »

So inspirational, I find it very heartwarming as she said that her failures became her best guidance.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

Mike L. Junior is a real poet cos I can relate with her story, the feeling and all
Fobi Scarlet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Fobi Scarlet »

This interview encourages me. It makes me feel like writing my own novel,as she says that she writes whenever she is inspired.
John Rosewell

Post by John Rosewell »

This is so inspiring! I want to make things like this and show the entire world about my passion for books!
Crystal Callaway

Post by Crystal Callaway »

You can tell that she was really excited about writing this book. I like how she writes until she is t inspired anymore and then returns later when she is ready. She is absolutely amazing
Sira K Tamba

Post by Sira K Tamba »

It is very inspiring . I also have a problem in completing my book
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

She is great,,,and her words super encouraging to anyone who wants to write their own book.
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ibunyi »

This seems to be such an inspirational story. I hope it would inspire me to write my own story too.
Ashley Wood 221B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-wood-221b.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Ashley Wood 221B »

I enjoyed reading that interview a lot.
Naume Pajarito

Post by Naume Pajarito »

So inspirational story.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I enjoyed reading your interview. Just like the author I too knew early on that I wanted to be a writer. But, raising my family has taken priority and my writing has been put on the back burner. You gave me hope when you said you squeeze in writing times when you feel inspired.

Return to “Author Interviews”