Official Interview: Mary A.J.

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mary A.J.

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mary A.J. author of Vagabond, book of the month for December 2021.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon click here.

To view the bookshelves page (with a link to the book of the month discussion), click here.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. When did you first start thinking that you wanted to write and publish a book?

Ever since I could remember, I've always had a wild imagination. Oftentimes, you'd find me in the middle of a daydream or immersed in a novel. When I realized reality was too banal and mediocre, I fired up my laptop.

2. Tell us about your writing process.

I mostly write at night, with a glass of wine and eerie music playing in the background. I'm also a "plantser". I draft the synopsis of each chapter, plan out the subplots and character arcs, but write erratically. I let the voices and minds of the characters lead the way.

3. Let's discuss your book Vagabond. The protagonist, Cecelia, is none other than Lucifer's daughter. Why this Princess of Hell?

Van Gogh once said that Normality is a paved road; It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow. I abhorred reading about plain, righteous, one dimensional characters. Give me a morally grey one, someone who fluctuates between burning the world down and saving it. Someone who would risk everything, even their own soul, for one last kiss goodbye. Heroes have had their time in the spotlight. Give me misunderstood villains.

4. Were you at all afraid that some may take offense to writing about demons?

Not in the slightest.

5. How did you make a demonic character come across as human and realistic?

Well, humanity itself helped with that one. After all, we each have our own demons. From the get-go readers are aware Cecilia is half-human. The struggle she faces, the pain she goes through, and the stark stubbornness to give in resonates with our own experiences.

6. The school Cecelia attends is gothic and has a jaded past. Was this school modeled after anything in real life? If not, how did you come up with this setting?

The setting was a huge part of the creation of the story. I lived in Virginia while writing Vagabond, and Colonial Williamsburg filled me with so much inspiration that ideas sprouted in my head on a daily basis. The school itself was modeled after The College of William and Mary. If you ever have a chance to visit, I recommend Colonial Williamsburg a hundred percent.

7. What was the publishing process like for you?

Supremely astounding. I reached out to a few agents, but I knew I wanted to go with Cayelle. They are an up-and-coming publishing house, and I wanted to see if I was even good enough to get a reply. Turns out I was, because a month after submitting my work they offered me a publishing deal.

8. What's next? Is there another book in the works?

Yes! Vagabond is a trilogy, and I'm currently working on the second installment. Especially with how it ended, I think a lot of readers are expecting answers.

9. Other than your own, what's your favorite young adult book or series?

That's always a tough one. I mostly read classics and period books. My favorite book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

10. What animal would you most want to be and why?

I haven't thought about it before, but probably a butterfly. They are held as one of the most beautiful insects in the world, and they only live for a short amount of time. Extremely poetic.

11. Which do you dislike more cleaning the bathroom or the kitchen?

Absolutely the bathroom! For a place that gets washed often, it sure gets dirty easily.

12. Are you an early bird or a night owl?

A night owl. I get immensely grumpy in the mornings.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Oh my goodness, that answer about drawing aid from humanity itself for writing a half-demon character. Bravo!

Great interview all around, but that answer really resonated with me. That and the quote about villains from question 3.

Oh, and it's always nice to find another night owl 🦉
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I like Mary's admission that she prefers morally grey characters as they are so much more three-dimensional, interesting and complex. She sounds like a spirited author and, as I expected Vagabond is going to be a trilogy. Fans will eagerly await book number two.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Ihuoma03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ihuoma03.html
Latest Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by Ihuoma03 »

Wuthering Heights? This must be a sign 🤯.

I asked about four people for book recommendations this week and about two of them mentioned Wuthering Heights.

Thank you for being the third 😁.
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Post by Brittany LaPour »

I enjoy that Mary wants more three-dimensional characters because that is easily relatable. I love the Van Gogh quote: "Normality is a paved road; It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow." I agree that this book is refreshing and a new twist on demons. I absolutely love Wuthering Heights!
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Post by Brittany LaPour »

Ihuoma03 wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 05:28 Wuthering Heights? This must be a sign 🤯.

I asked about four people for book recommendations this week and about two of them mentioned Wuthering Heights.

Thank you for being the third 😁.
Yes! Wuthering Heights is so great!
Abi1
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01KLMX1KM

Post by Abi1 »

Thank you for the wonderful interview and insight into the author and her writing process. I love that Mary is focused on ensuring her characters aren't one-dimensional. With more three-dimensional characters, it gives her book more life and impact on the reader. The fact that she's taken the road least chosen with her storyline focusing on a demon princess, really is a feat in its own.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It's great that the author thinks about how complex the characters should be and that a character can have more than one dimension. Great interview.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Heroes have had their time in the spotlight. Give me misunderstood villains.
What a quote! Reminds me of why Loki is one of my favorite MCU characters haha.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

Rare thing that I picked up while reading this. Most writers write in silence.

Return to “Author Interviews”