Official Interview: Paul Clark

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Paul Clark

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Paul Clark author of A Long Night of Chaos.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

******************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've always wanted to be a writer, but having a young family and a busy career meant I kept putting it off. I loved making up stories for my children when they were little and wrote one up and tried to find a publisher. When my children were teenagers and needed less attention, I did a creative writing course and started writing seriously.

2. Who has been most encouraging in your writing journey?

My late agent, Paul Muller of the Aarau Literary Agency. He did a fantastic job of editing my book, and I got a real boost from the fact that someone like him believed in me as a writer.

3. What, to you, is the hardest part about writing?

You become so involved in your story that it can be difficult to see it through the eyes of someone who’s coming to it new.

4. Let's talk about your book A Long Night of Chaos. Where did the idea come from?

From the Bosnian War. I wanted to write the story of a “good” Bosnian Serb, someone torn between loyalty to his community and opposition to the terrible things that were being done in its name.

5. Why did you choose the setting of Post-Soviet Union Ksordia-Akhtaria?

Quite early in the planning process, I decided an imaginary country would give me more creative freedom. Making up your own country is great fun. I can recommend it.

6. How much research did you do to make the book authentic?

A lot. On my bookshelf in front of me, I have 21 non-fiction books that I drew on, from history books to travel guides. I sent an unsolicited copy of the novel to writer and broadcaster Neal Ascherson, a real expert on the post-Soviet North Caucasus. He wrote back: “What’s your own background and how did you get such a feeling for that part of the world?” I took that as an indication that I had done my research properly.

7. The reviewer mentions there's a cliffhanger. Can you tell us about the next book in the series?

My central character decides to bring down the President, who’s not a nice guy and won’t go down without a fight. The next book is about that fight, which gets very dirty indeed. I have written it and am deep into the editing process.

8. Tell us about the publishing process, the good, bad, and ugly.

Writing the book was one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done. I sent it to my mother (a retired teacherof English Lit) and some friends, who came back with very helpful criticisms.

I then rewrote the whole thing and, after a very long search, managed to find an agent. He edited it for me and suggested that I split it into two books. So I separated The Price of Dreams from A Long Night of Chaos. Much later, I decided to add a third book, Day of the Long Knives.

Sadly, my agent passed away several years ago, and his agency died with him. I tried to find another agent, but it’s not easy. I’ve read that literary agents take on less than one in a thousand of those who send an unsolicited submission, so I eventually decided I had done well to find one and was unlikely to find another.

When the pandemic started, I took the Jericho Writers online course on how to publish independently. And then I went for it. I’m very glad I did. I’ve had some very encouraging feedback from readers.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. Fairs or theme parks?

Theme parks for families with children and fun fairs for teenagers, without their parents. The best theme park I ever took my children to was Gardaland in Italy. My kids said it was better than Disneyland Paris.

10. What's the one beauty or personal hygiene product you couldn't live without?

Good old-fashioned bars of soap. I stopped using shower gel a couple of years ago. Soap's much better.

11. How do you relax?

Writing. There’s nothing I enjoy more. I also love reading and gardening. I live in south-east England, just outside the South Downs National Park, and I go walking there whenever I can.

12. Do you prefer to drive or ride?

I love driving. My wife likes to ride and enjoy the view, so that works out very well.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jamina Alonto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamina Alonto »

The book is amazing! Thankyou for the interview. 🥰
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

The author responds in a way that motivates someone to even become a reader...lol.
It's a good review with the best host from the online book club.
This is interesting

Return to “Author Interviews”