Does music help?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Does music help?

Post by Eteru »

Does music help you in producing better outcomes when working mentally? Or do you prefer a silent surrounding to maintain your focus?
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Jdalba2018 »

I always work better with music. It doesn't matter what kind of work it is, physical or mental, alone or with other people. Music help me get the work done.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

The perfect combo of music genre to kind of work being done can help loads! For work the requires deep thinking and focus, I like a good ambient tune, something that won't pull my attention away but maintains the right vibe. For more mindless work, I like something that's going to entertain me more wholly - clever lyricism or interesting musical elements (or both!) are a must. And something I can sing along to gets bonus points.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I usually work better with music, I find silence too daunting at times!
Generally I'll listen to something which is either instrumental or a song I've listened to so many times that I don't focus on the lyrics (because then I end up paying too much attention and writing those down instead).

Sometimes when I'm stuck on inspiration when writing I'll pick a song and try to write a short story about how it makes me feel and it usually gets my creative juices flowing!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
karamel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karamel.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by karamel »

Music definitely helps get me in the right mental place to start working. Sometimes I'll listen to purely instrumental music but other times I'll listen to songs with lyrics. It really just depends on what mood I'm in and how motivated/pumped I want to get.

Once I'm in the right mindset though, I tend to turn off the music so I can completely immerse myself in my work, because after a while the music just becomes a distraction.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Yes it does, but only certain music! I have kind of trained by mind to work well to certain albums and soundtracks. The main ones are The Inevitable and I by HRVRD and The Lord of the Rings soundtrack by Howard Shore.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

When I am writing, I listen to playlists I have built for my characters, or I listen to music that fits the tone of the section I am writing. I also listen to jazz or classical music when I am reading.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

Music is a stress reliever, enables me to set and verify my goals even ambitions in life.Singing along gives me the ability to fly even when I am standing in one place.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Most of the time I need some background noise to focus. Often this is music, but also sometimes Youtube shows or even just a fan being on. It helps me focus my own thoughts without hearing every little noise around the house. It's basically necessary since my cats are very good at making lots of little noises!
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
agirlwhowrites
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by agirlwhowrites »

Always! Music always helps. There's a certain type of music that fits the atmosphere you want to create while you're working. I prefer some background music while I'm writing or reading something. It relaxes me, makes me feel a bit more comfortable. It even helps me concentrate or to get in a zone. Music's been my saviour since a very long time now. :)
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

It does yes. A lot of times when I create with music playing behind me, I enjoy what I do and as a result, my work is better(I think).
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
vlinpr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by vlinpr13 »

It really depends. I usually have designated songs for various books, or scene types, or characters. I have to listen to songs that I feel specifically relate to what I am writing at the time. If it isn't the right music, it's too distracting, so I will go with silence.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I usually prefer something to be going on in the background. Sometimes it's music and sometimes it's a show playing on my computer. There have been a few times that I've preferred quiet. Usually when I'm working on a particularly difficult school project.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

yep, helps me a lot. sometimes when i'm anxious sometimes, i just need something spiritual to motivate and inspire myself then music becomes an option. Depending on the kind of genre not all music motivates or inspires me.
Music really helps a lot.
Kelanyloves
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kelanyloves »

It depends on how you use the music and what type of music you listen to. Music can be a good way to cope with stress and also to balance the good and bad in your life. Many people use music to forget about their troubles while others use it to deep deeper into them. For example, I use music to meditate but also to embrace my emotions. I sometimes use music as a way to live another life as well (it sounds weird but the key is to analyze the lyrics). Some of my friends use music as their friend, the one that truly understands what they are made of. So yes, music can help if you know how to use it. However, music can do harm too. This is because music is a great influencer and might guide you to the wrong path if you are not careful or thoughtful enough.

Return to “Poetry & Music”