Does music help?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Does music help?

Post by Eteru » 17 Nov 2018, 08:05

Does music help you in producing better outcomes when working mentally? Or do you prefer a silent surrounding to maintain your focus?

Jdalba2018
2018 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Jdalba2018 » 17 Nov 2018, 14:06

I always work better with music. It doesn't matter what kind of work it is, physical or mental, alone or with other people. Music help me get the work done.

dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by dreamthewilderness » 01 Dec 2018, 13:49

The perfect combo of music genre to kind of work being done can help loads! For work the requires deep thinking and focus, I like a good ambient tune, something that won't pull my attention away but maintains the right vibe. For more mindless work, I like something that's going to entertain me more wholly - clever lyricism or interesting musical elements (or both!) are a must. And something I can sing along to gets bonus points.

Harley-Panda
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Harley-Panda » 03 Dec 2018, 13:38

I usually work better with music, I find silence too daunting at times!
Generally I'll listen to something which is either instrumental or a song I've listened to so many times that I don't focus on the lyrics (because then I end up paying too much attention and writing those down instead).

Sometimes when I'm stuck on inspiration when writing I'll pick a song and try to write a short story about how it makes me feel and it usually gets my creative juices flowing!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

karamel
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karamel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by karamel » 04 Dec 2018, 13:08

Music definitely helps get me in the right mental place to start working. Sometimes I'll listen to purely instrumental music but other times I'll listen to songs with lyrics. It really just depends on what mood I'm in and how motivated/pumped I want to get.

Once I'm in the right mindset though, I tend to turn off the music so I can completely immerse myself in my work, because after a while the music just becomes a distraction.

Return to “Poetry & Music”