To rhyme or not to rhyme...?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Re: To rhyme or not to rhyme...?

Post by anomalocaris »

I have no problem with rhymed verse that's well done. But most people who do it allow the writing to be driven by the rhyme, sometimes to the extent of writing words out of order just to make the rhyme work, or writing lines that really look silly, but rhyme. Usually it's because they aren't willing to revise an earlier line in order to make an easier rhyme.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
chiliabowl1998
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

No rhyming
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I don't really consider it poetry if it doesn't rhyme.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
mcisper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcisper.html

Post by mcisper »

OK, here is my point of view as a poet. Personally I do not rhyme. I prefer free verse...guess why? It give the poets freedom. Now that I've gotten that out of the way the idea that all poems must rhyme is as archaic as the ancient Egyptians. The purpose and beauty of poetry is the use of words in a very artistic way. In many ways a poem can be a short story just simply condensed. To the question at hand as is the readers prerogative so be it; same for the poet.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

To me, when I write a poem or song, it often have a rhythm, it seldoms rhymes, as if it has a flow or a beat that tries to find the notes to express itself stronger, with more feeling or emotion.

-- 17 Jun 2014, 20:30 --

To me, when I write a poem or song, it often have a rhythm, it seldoms rhymes, as if it has a flow or a beat that tries to find the notes to express itself stronger, with more feeling or emotion.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"Anyone can plug in the right words to make things sound melodic"

Sure they can.

"when a poet allows him or herself to expand their horizons past a set meter, their words have a much deeper meaning, "

Why would the meaning of the words change, the thoughts and feelings that engendered the poem have a deeper meaning simply because of a different format of writing?

Do you think villanelles have deeper meanings than pantoums or sonnets or vice versa?

No, "anyone" can't write a rhyming poem. In my view it is far more difficult to do so than to merely cobble together a few sentences, leave out the punctuation and call it free verse.
Aelihe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelihe.html

Post by Aelihe »

To me, I prefer not rhymed. It allows the writer to write whatever they feel, but without being forced to rhyme. I agree, when poets or in some songs (Carousel by Melanie Martinez, for example) it sounds way to forced. Almost like a nursery rhyme.
kali2318

Post by kali2318 »

My advice to an individual beginning to write poetry would simply be: if a rhyme scheme flows and enhances your poem, go for it. If it feels forced and restrains you do not. Of course there are many terrific poems that represent each style, I could cite many. The important thing is if your poetry manages to convey powerful images and emotions to a reader.

Free verse poems (good free verse) still employ many disciplined techniques. So, if you write free verse do not feel like you aren't writing "real" poetry. Remember though that poetry should at all times be pleasing to read and listen to, and there are certain poetic devices that can make a piece more enjoyable for a reader. Rhyming is one of these devices.

Hope that helps!
kitty229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitty229.html

Post by kitty229 »

I prefer rhyme, though sometimes it doesn't really convey all you got to say, it captivates the readers. So I feel there should be at least some form of rhyme in the poem
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I've seen really bad rhymed poems and really bad nonrhymed.

The bad rhymed ones tend to have rhymes that sound forced, cheesy, or trite. Rhymes should feel natural, not as if the poet went out of his or her way to get the rhyme.

With the bad unrhymed ones, it looks as if the poet just took some random thoughts and wrote them down in a vertical instead of a horizontal format. :-)

With or without a strict form, a poem should have strong images in it, and it should have something to say. Also, the words should get along well together, better than they do in natural speech.

That said, I agree with you that following a formal meter or rhyme scheme is helpful. Especially for beginning poets, it can train us and lead us on in our skills. Sure, we will produce some clunkers, but the more metered, rhymed poetry we write, the more natural it will become ... and the better equipped we'll be to write decent free-form poems.

I've seen people speak derisively of rhymed poetry, as if it were passe or amateur. I think that's ridiculous.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Kelli_F
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelli-f.html

Post by Kelli_F »

Poetry is not necessarily about rhyming or not rhyming. It's about creating an emotion with the flow and sounds of the words together. Anyone can plug in a word that rhymes and holds the correct meaning, but does it flow or does it add to the emotional load for the reader? Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. And sometimes non rhyming poems have the same problem. So, a great poem is not determines by whether or not it rhymes.
jfkwok
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfkwok.html

Post by jfkwok »

I can't say I'm bothered either way. When writing, though, I find it much easier and natural not to rhyme. I feel like rhyming can ruin the flow of I do like internal rhymes, however. They're subtle and a lot less garish.
feywriter

Post by feywriter »

I don't think it's rhyme that makes a poem. It's more about conveying emotion, imagery, and flow. I've read some beautiful poems both with and without rhyme. My own poetry is the same. Sometimes I will use rhyme, and sometimes I won't. Rhyming is challenging because it's not just about the end words, you need to make sure it's not forced and doesn't sound juvenile. Rhyme, like meter and alliteration, is a tool not a requirement.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

To rhyme!
If it is a well rhymed poem it is always better for me. But it shouldn't be forced, though.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

I agree with what seems to be the consensus here: both are fine if done WELL. Because though I hate cheesy rhymed poems that sound like nursery rhymes, I can't stand hypermodern free verse that just feels like word vomit. Balance! That's all I ask for. I like it when rhymes slip in and feel natural. So maybe not a whole poem of rhymed couplets, but a free verse ish piece with a little bit of rhyme. Although really, I'll take anything if it conjures up solid images and makes me think deeply about something. If I'm not moved, I don't care if it's structurally and objectively perfect.
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Return to “Poetry & Music”