Did you prefer poems with elevated language or simple diction?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Penbreath09
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Did you prefer poems with elevated language or simple diction?

Post by Penbreath09 »

The distinction of poetry is its use of language to describe situations, events, ideas and others in such a brief, yet detailed manner. Understanding however is important in reading poems. Elevated language prove to be difficult to comprehend by some readers while some prefer that elevated language. It is useful to note that people with intelligence at analyzing concrete things (mostly scientists, physicist)would prefer the simple diction while the ones with intelligence at abstract things( mostly poets, spiritual teachers) would not consider the elevated language of poetry a problem.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I don't mind either way. When the language is simple you can focus on the feelings the persona is portraying or the experience the poet is trying to describe. When the language is more complicated it honestly is more fun unpacking it and the various interpretations that can be got from the same piece by different people is part of the fun. If I could only read one kind I'd pick the complicated ones.
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

Reading a poem with so much words to unlocked before I can fully understand what the message meant frustrates me but I also find it fascinating to read. I love the simple one and I also love the puzzling one. I would love to read them both.
Abayomi_AI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abayomi_AI »

It is very important to note that in any aspect of writing, be it poem or not, you are trying to convey a message and this message which is being conveyed is meant to be understood by the readers. I would like to say that no style of writing is superior or inferior, as what matters most is your ability to convey the message in your poem.
When using elevated language, your word combination is key to unleashing the understanding of the message being conveyed. If the word combination is right, then it's a big Yes but if not, then it's big No, as it will be hard to understand the message being conveyed.
Paul Starbuck

Post by Paul Starbuck »

Elevated diction vs. ordinary speech in a poem--at least, that's how I read the question. Well, of course, the intended audience must be considered. A highfalutin vocabulary will not connect with, say, juveniles; it'd be a waste of the poet's time, and frustrating for, or ignored by, readers.
Personally, I prefer plain speech, with an occasional two-dollar word thrown in to jazz things up. Moreover, a basic vocabulary forces the poet to be honest. BS-ing readers is difficult when the readers are able to understand what you're saying. The aforementioned two-dollar word is decipherable, and enjoyable, when viewed in a no-frills context.
Most importantly, whether you prefer elevated diction or plain speech, remember that your primary goal is to communicate with the reader.
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

I honestly prefer poems with elevated language. Although, I do agree with with some of these comments above that explain why they prefer simple diction. I prefer elevated diction because, in my opinion, it makes the poems more interesting and more prone to capturing an audience. As long as it’s detailed enough, and you can truly understand the meaning, elevated language is my preference.
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

simple diction is good but its good to consider the content.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I like both, I guess? But I'd PREFER simply diction. I also write poems that way.
Beverly2018

Post by Beverly2018 »

I just like a pun with words. Could be simple or elevated depending on the message
irmadelcarmen

Post by irmadelcarmen »

Some times, when i'm in pain, when i feel alone, i prefer a simple word...
Skyemt

Post by Skyemt »

I enjoy both types.
Simple dictation is definitely easier on the brain on days where my mind is wandering.
Elevated language is more fun and maybe even preferable when I’m in a quiet room and just want to read.
Amyrich

Post by Amyrich »

I prefer shorter, simple poems mostly. Poetry, to me, is more about concentrated emotion delivered with an almost visible impact.
rupe10
Favorite Book: The Polished Hoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupe10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by rupe10 »

I dig both.

When a poet can mix styles within the same book works best for me. Kind of breaks things up the same way different poem convey disparate emotions.

It's the same mindset that has me read a heavy book, then something light...a biography, then sci-fi...along those lines...

I do fully understand how many people find poetry inaccessible -- just never had that problem, myself.

Poetry is like music. Not every song/poem is going to resonate universally and is mostly an acquired taste...
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I love both types. Simple diction is nicer to read in a collection or book of poetry, especially one that tells a narrative. However, I love unpacking the depth and various interpretations of poetry. Elevated diction allows more room for meaning but also narrows down a specific emotion or piece of imagery. I think it depends on the context and writer's intention. I personally love writing poetry that can be interpreted in multiple ways, and hearing what it means for individual readers.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
-Tinuthien-
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinuthien.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by -Tinuthien- »

I do not have any defined preference for the word choice in a poem, either simple or elevated, but I dislike the heavy use of poetic diction (as defined by Wordsworth) that usually comes with elevated diction. It just reads easier if you don't have to figure out which noun belongs with which adjective.

Return to “Poetry & Music”