Poetry Recommendations

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Mairin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Poetry Recommendations

Post by Mairin »

Any authors people would recommend to read? I started reading Robert Burns and I like his works, but I have no clue as to any other authors out there.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I love William Butler Yeats ... especially his early poems. But I am Irish so I may be biased.
I also like T S Eliot, Emily Dickinson and recently I came across the poetry of a Russian poet Anna Akhmatova (beautiful & heart breaking)
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Fran wrote:I love William Butler Yeats ... especially his early poems. But I am Irish so I may be biased.
I also like T S Eliot, Emily Dickinson and recently I came across the poetry of a Russian poet Anna Akhmatova (beautiful & heart breaking)
Ooo.. Russian you say??!! LOL I am a huge fan of foriegn authors... I feel it gives me a good perspective on life outside of the states. I will definately look into William Bulter Yeats as well!! Thanks for the recommendations.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Yeats is fantastic, i very rarely hear of anyone reading him. Have you tried Christina Rossetti? She rather strange and dark yet very open minded about life. She's by far my favorite, so i always recommend her to people. Hope you find a great poet, either way.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

laci_baby wrote:Yeats is fantastic, i very rarely hear of anyone reading him. Have you tried Christina Rossetti? She rather strange and dark yet very open minded about life. She's by far my favorite, so i always recommend her to people. Hope you find a great poet, either way.
Thanks for the recommendation. I find that any poetry I write tends to be on the darker side so I'm sure I would find her stuff interesting.
Clinton.hewitt

Post by Clinton.hewitt »

I am a new poetry author im not sure if you would like my poetry or not, its more of random thoughts put together. But you could always check it out.
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

Keats is also great. Edgar Allan Poe, if you like something a bit darker. Emily Dickinson is in the same vein. The Romantic poets, like Shelley, Byron, and Tennyson are also some of my favorites. And Shakespeare, of course! If you're into epic poetry, try Dante or Milton, and the Odyssey.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
zedie12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zedie12.html

Post by zedie12 »

Andrew Marvell is among my favorite poets. Then there is Oliver Goldsmith, W. B. Yeats, Sir Walter Scott and Allen Ginsberg
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I would recommend Keats too, with Byron and Wordsworth. I also love Andrew Marvell, John Donne and John Milton. Oh, and have a read of Beowulf (by anon.) -- it's an Anglo-Saxon text but there are many really great translations available. The best I've read is by Seamus Heaney and it's very faithful to the original poem. Diane di Prima is very interesting, as are Carol Ann Duffy and Wendy Cope. And finally, I'd have to recommend Wilfred Owen -- a war-time poet with some great poems that you probably already know :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

I have really been enjoying the poem of the day program. Every day I get an email -- I believe the source is poetry.org. During the week it's modern poetry with a few sentences talking about the poem; and on the weekends it's classic poetry.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Najwa Zebian and Amari Soul
Amna Khalid
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

You can try some Nigerian poet. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are quite the talent.
Li En Foo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-li-en-foo.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes

Post by Li En Foo »

There's a type of poetry that I think is really cool. Unfortunately, I don't now what it's called, but its written by women and the way it's written is so that it seems to be love poems to their lovers but at the end it's revealed that the people they love is food. It's really cool! :lol2:

Lang Leav, Edgar Allen Poe, and Faruoq Jwaydeh are some of my favorites :techie-studyinggray:
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

Aphrodite made me do it is a great book!

Return to “Poetry & Music”