Have you ever received a 'love poem' from someone you don't love?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Have you ever received a 'love poem' from someone you don't love?

Post by crediblereading2 »

How do you respond to a very loyal and trusted friend, who gives you a poem expressing his or her love for you? You might fear that if you respond negatively, the person may feel so heartbroken and wishes never to be your friend again. What would you say to that person?
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

crediblereading2 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 21:24 How do you respond to a very loyal and trusted friend, who gives you a poem expressing his or her love for you? You might fear that if you respond negatively, the person may feel so heartbroken and wishes never to be your friend again. What would you say to that person?
Wow. Good question.

I would not respond. I have stopped writing or corresponding with that person. You lose the friendship but if they don't respect your rights and feelings when you start to back away to get the idea they were never a real friend.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
christinefayern07
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by christinefayern07 »

definitely no :(
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I would be honest and tell the person how I really feel. Regarding the friendship, I think it's a given you two will drift apart. When one already has feelings surpassing friendship, going back to just being friends may not be possible in the first place. Telling him the truth upfront may hurt him, but at least you're giving him more time to move on. Perhaps after he's gotten over you then you can start being friends again.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Oh my gosh, this happened to me in high school with someone a lot. For us, he was too nervous to express his feelings to my face, so once I talked to him about the poems and told him I wasn't interested, we had a good conversation. It's always awkward!
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

It happened to me and I just responded to him honestly. I treasure you as my friend and I don't want to have a complicated relationship just because I didn't love you the way you love me. To have an honest conversation amd respect will save you both.
Prettyfavour

Post by Prettyfavour »

Will accept the letter with a friendly smile and tell you thank you...then maybe later on while we are having a friendly discussion or conversation,will tell you I don't like love letters in a friendly manner and he should understand me well not to send any again
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

gkgurley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 21:25 Oh my gosh, this happened to me in high school with someone a lot. For us, he was too nervous to express his feelings to my face, so once I talked to him about the poems and told him I wasn't interested, we had a good conversation. It's always awkward!
This happened to me, even though we were much younger. We weren't close and after that I steered clear of him, because he thought I would like him at some point. :?
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Ichrak sd
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Ichrak sd »

i have received a love poem when i was too young from my classmate ,i was in love with him too but i couldn't tell him because his sister hated me,it was awful :shifty:
Edelicious

Post by Edelicious »

When it happened to me, it was very awkward. But when i learned of his adoration for me, strangely I began to notice his existence.

I was flattered but insists that we are better off as friends and I do appreciate his effort of making a love letter for me.

And of course, we haven't seen each other since. :lol2:
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I've not received such a poem. If I have I forgot about it.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

I honestly would confront that person as soon as possible about it and make my intentions and feelings clear. I had this before, and while we didn't have the same friendship after that, I think it was best for both of us. I made sure he didn't feel lead on by me.
"No way but forward!"
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

You know what's funny, I actually can't nswer tht question becuse it's happening to my friend. And at the moment we're both a little confused at the situation. It's another thing to send a text, but a poem..
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

I have never received one. I wish to get one and feel how other people do feel and respond.
Ellie_D
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-d.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Ellie_D »

That is a weird situation and i think the best is not responding. If you do respond in negative way you will hurt the person's feeling.

Return to “Poetry & Music”