How about poetry readings?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

How about poetry readings?

Post by KLafser »

You often see this depicted as some 1960s, beatnik scene in a movie, but a few years ago, I was introduced to Shane Koyczan through his youtube video Remember How We Forgot. I loved (and love) how he incorporates music into his poetry, but make no mistake, it's about the poetry. Fast forward to now - Shane is still performing, his platform is founded anti-bullying but leans into any kind of anti-alienation. He should be way more mainstream than he is. I share with you the performance that captured and moved me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBVJuA0jr6Y

Are there poetry readings that you embrace?
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I had a friend (we're not as close anymore) that does poetry readings. That was my first experience with spoken word poetry. It was captivating and beautiful. It truly is an art all by itself.
sbcollins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbcollins »

I love them! I've gone to see Neil Hilborn perform a couple times, and I plan on trying to go to a few open mic nights.
Desiakay

Post by Desiakay »

Personally, I truly love poetry readings. Reading a poem on paper is much different than having the person read it out loud. When you have someone read it out loud it puts emotion in it and outwardly shows the feeling of the poetry.
grushone73

Post by grushone73 »

I see poetry as a creative expression of opinions. Normally I do not like opinions, however, I can tolerate poetic insights.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

In my early adult life there used to be numerous coffee shops which catered to the young adults / college crowd. They often had "open mics" and anyone could read their poetry. I, in fact, actually gave a poetry recitation (once) and it met with appreciation by the audience, but it has been so long ago that I now cannot remember what the poem was about. We hung together and discussed things and seemed to appreciate art in all its forms much more than our contemporaries of the same age do now. The subject of a poetry recitation might spark a discussion which would draw in the entire room and could range from arguments to comedy and all of it totally stimulating. Those were different times.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Tabz02

Post by Tabz02 »

i enjoy writting and reading poetry its a whole new world to me.
Moni60

Post by Moni60 »

I like poetry. It expresses the issues of life journeys. Music makes it alittle easier to handle.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Poetry gives me space to create words that reflect my emotions and the issues of life and people.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Thanks for sharing, i appreciate the effort since i was not informed about them until now

Return to “Poetry & Music”