What if you could choose a song at your funeral?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Eevia White
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevia-white.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

What if you could choose a song at your funeral?

Post by Eevia White »

It might sound grim, but to think that a song can encompass a range of emotions, or bring back a specific moment of each one's life, I was wondering what song were to be 'suitable' if we had to make a choice of a song in our funerals.

Of course it would be more for the living than for the deceased, but if you had to choose a song playing and engaging those attending there, what would it be and why? On the one end, I'm thinking a depressing song such as 'Dust in the Wind' just so I can remind everyone of their mortality :tiphat: , but on the other end I would want to go in a phantasmagorical way so I might as well choose something along the lines of ''Because I'm happy, clap along if you feel like a room without a roof !!'' :lol2:
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

Better When I'm Dancing by Meghan Trainor. It would be my way of saying, "Hey, I know you're feeling pretty bad right now, but just dance, you'll feel better. You're my family, I want you happy, so, dance."
Eevia White

Post by Eevia White »

Oh that is so sweet! Indeed, it would work like a wonder with the people there. Nice choice!
moxieflair_
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moxieflair.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by moxieflair_ »

This makes me think of so many songs, so I'll just name a few that make sense.
The first song that pops in my head, "I was here" by Beyonce, it's a nice ballad, that evokes emotion. This song just seems like a classic funeral song.
Then something solemn, "Shadow Man" by Noname, it's a rhythmic rap song, I listen to this song pretty often, and it's on theme with a funeral.
A feel good rhythmic rap song that might make you dance a little, "Swim" by Towkio. This song to me is saying, "do what you want to do, but be ready to work for it". This will be me in my casket telling my funeral goers to live their best life on their own terms. Like, "you're still alive, don't waste it."
The next song on my funeral playlist is, "Don't be so hard on yourself" by Jess Glynne. Me in my casket saying, "hey if you and I had a disagreement before I left, I still may not agree with you, but I'm gone now, so it doesn't matter."
Last but not least, "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes. It's just a great song. In my opinion, this song is about surviving through life, even though you may be struggling with yourself, and you just don't understand what's going on, whether it be with yourself or with the world.
Okay, this is the last one for sure. Good Ass Intro by Chance the Rapper, this would have to be the last song played. "I'm good, I'm fine, you don't have to worry about me anymore."
This is my Funeral Playlist for now. There are a few more songs I would like to add, but this is more than enough. I guess my funeral will end up being a listening party, which I am completely fine with.

I also made a playlist with the songs on Soundcloud, but I couldn't post it with this post, I guess because it's Soundcloud.
Eevia White

Post by Eevia White »

Wow, you've thought about this before? I'm so amazed by your list, you have included every possible message and style available, this is so admirable! I am certainly going to check every song... I'm sure they are all amazing. Your post exudes positive vibes even though it is a grim subject... thank you :)
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

“Home” by Chris Tomlin is going to be my recessional.
“Blinded eyes will finally see,
The fed will rise on the shores of eternity,
The trump will sound and the angels will sing hallelujah hallelujah!
I am going home....”
Best song ever
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

For me most anything by the Japanese composer Akira Ifukube but my favorite of his is Sacred Spring sung by The Peanuts. A beautiful haunting melody from the film Godzilla vs. Mothra. A second choice would be the Ennio Morricone theme from Once Upon A Time In The West.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Kajshagadsden4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kajshagadsden4 »

I have never thought if this before but the song I would want played at my funeral Be Let’s Groove Around by General Johnson. Reason being is because I want every one to rejoice And groove dance smile laugh and be at peace.
moxieflair_
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moxieflair.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by moxieflair_ »

Eevia White wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 12:25 Wow, you've thought about this before? I'm so amazed by your list, you have included every possible message and style available, this is so admirable! I am certainly going to check every song... I'm sure they are all amazing. Your post exudes positive vibes even though it is a grim subject... thank you :)
Actually no, I haven't. I've thought about the happenings of the event, of how I would like it to go. I thought your question was so cool, because I've never thought of it. And yeah listen to them, hopefully you'll like one or two, or maybe all of them. I try my best to stay positive. I don't consider the thought of my funeral completely grim, once I'm gone I won't have to deal with the trials and sadness of this world anymore, by then I will be at peace. And thank you, for asking this question :tiphat:
Eevia White

Post by Eevia White »

Everyone's suggestions are amazing, honestly. I am so amazed by all the songs that everyone comes up with... whether sad or happy, they all pass on different meanings, specific to each one's experiences. This is amazing, thank you for taking the time to answer <3
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

The first song that came to mind was "I've Got Wheels" by Miranda Lambert. I feel like this has been a theme song for me lately, even if the lyrics are depressing, they also have positive words and lines that are so true about me.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I'm more into classical music and movie soundtracks: the proper use of multiple instruments convey stronger feelings in me than words mixed with simpler melodies. For my funeral, I would choose "Legend and epilogue", the last track of the soundtrack of "El Cid" (1961). The mix of Spanish and Medieval music always gets the best of me. Also, this piece is used at the end, symbolizing the passage to the afterlife of the Cid, especially from 2:45 onwards. Sounds like a glorious way to leave this world...
Nathan Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-okafor.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nathan Okafor »

Am from a religious home so my song (it's a hymn actually) would be
"Am but a stranger here" by Arthur. S. Sullivan, 1836. I will also choose We'll meet again by Vera Lynn.
One thing about this two songs is that they are songs of comfort that why i chose them.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

"Circle of Life" Elton John.
"Into the Mystic" Van Morrison
"Life's Been Good" Joe Walsh
"Three Little Birds" Bob Marley
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

It would have to be "One More Light" by Linkin Park. I feel that it would fit the mood.

Return to “Poetry & Music”