What if you could choose a song at your funeral?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Casandra Reyes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What if you could choose a song at your funeral?

Post by Casandra Reyes »

I'll go for something mysteriously and romantic but also sad. I'll choose Annabelle Lee or wide sargasso Sea by Stevie Nicks
boogluvsfamily4

Post by boogluvsfamily4 »

Believe it or not, I too have thought about this topic a bit.
For me I choose John Lennon, Imagine.
This song always brings out the inner part of my soul that celebrates life and says out loud, " This is me, I am not the only one."
Besides at my funeral, I don't want darkness to be embraced, but light. No black but colors.

Celebrate Peace, even if its only in my mind.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I think 'Pie Jesu' as sung by Sarah Brightman, because her voice is so perfect like a crystal raindrop, but that may be likely to change in the next few years! XD

Edit: Or 'Panis Angelicus' as sung by Chloe Agnew. I have sung this a few times in church and it really is a beautiful song.
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

tis is a bit funny. Have never thought of this.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

So ist es Immer sung by Benjamin Anderson. I've actually thought about this topic before and have been subconsciously "collecting" songs.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
moxieflair_
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moxieflair.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by moxieflair_ »

JR Mercier wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 04:00
moxieflair_ wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:49 This makes me think of so many songs, so I'll just name a few that make sense.
The first song that pops in my head, "I was here" by Beyonce, it's a nice ballad, that evokes emotion. This song just seems like a classic funeral song.
Then something solemn, "Shadow Man" by Noname, it's a rhythmic rap song, I listen to this song pretty often, and it's on theme with a funeral.
A feel good rhythmic rap song that might make you dance a little, "Swim" by Towkio. This song to me is saying, "do what you want to do, but be ready to work for it". This will be me in my casket telling my funeral goers to live their best life on their own terms. Like, "you're still alive, don't waste it."
The next song on my funeral playlist is, "Don't be so hard on yourself" by Jess Glynne. Me in my casket saying, "hey if you and I had a disagreement before I left, I still may not agree with you, but I'm gone now, so it doesn't matter."
Last but not least, "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes. It's just a great song. In my opinion, this song is about surviving through life, even though you may be struggling with yourself, and you just don't understand what's going on, whether it be with yourself or with the world.
Okay, this is the last one for sure. Good Ass Intro by Chance the Rapper, this would have to be the last song played. "I'm good, I'm fine, you don't have to worry about me anymore."
This is my Funeral Playlist for now. There are a few more songs I would like to add, but this is more than enough. I guess my funeral will end up being a listening party, which I am completely fine with.

I also made a playlist with the songs on Soundcloud, but I couldn't post it with this post, I guess because it's Soundcloud.
OOh, I just saw I Was Here by Beyonce and I want to scream. That song has made me cry since the first time I listened to it. It's so important especially in a world with so many people that it feels impossible to be remembered. I watched her do a live performance for United Nations World Humanitarian day and it made me bawl my eyes out.
Yes!! It's such a great song, and it will def make you cry.
moxieflair_
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moxieflair.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by moxieflair_ »

SMwathi wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:38 tis is a bit funny. Have never thought of this.
I guess it is a bit funny. ...Funny in what way, like peculiar or actually funny funny?
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I like the idea of my loved ones choosing songs that remind them of me. The funeral is more for them than me anyway seeing as I would be the deceased!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I think I would want a song that focuses on the joy and excitement of life. I think I would want the song September or locked out of heaven.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

As the Years Go By so that people are more apt to think of the happy times than where they would be at the time. I hope, at least!
Avvirine

Post by Avvirine »

I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor lol

All seriousness, I would say Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I went to a funeral some years ago and the lady who died made a tape of all her favorite songs over an hour's worth, and requested it be played all through the service. They were mostly country songs, everything from Hank Williams to Elvis. Not a bad idea.

I heard one the other day I would like to be played at my funeral, an uplifting Japanese tune called Future sung by Megumi Kobiyashi. I dont know the English words but I assume they are about a better future. It was the end credits song from the film Rebirth Of Mothra 3 which had a very positive and uplifting ending.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

The Funeral, by The Band of Horses (no pun intended). I love this song
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

That is a weird idea but I actually listen to My funeral by dark funeral
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Aubrey Lewis wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 02:22 It would have to be "One More Light" by Linkin Park. I feel that it would fit the mood.
Bright thinking..I would also choose the same song..thanks for the hint

Return to “Poetry & Music”