What music do you listen too when you write

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
anastasialily
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: What music do you listen too when you write

Post by anastasialily »

I LOVE MUSIC! But, I don't usually listen to music as i write. I do listen to music as i read or edit however, and that all just depends on the mood. Perhaps my writing would improve and be more enjoyable if I did listen to music. Although, so far I haven't written to entertain, I've only written to be heard. I have much to learn.
cookiemonsta_k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cookiemonsta_k »

When I'm writing I prefer country music because it's always a great story line in a country song which helps my writer block as well.
Gjacks
Favorite Author: Walt Whitman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gjacks.html
Reading Device: B00DVFLJDS
fav_author_id: 4925

Post by Gjacks »

It depends on what I'm writing. If it's an assignment then I like to listen to alternative/instrumental music. If it's something personal, then it depends on theme of the piece: energetic, happy, sad, etc. However, when I'm writing scripts I prefer not to listen to any music because it often distracts me. Oddly, that only happens when I'm script writing.
Melissa_B
Currently Reading: The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad)
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Melissa_B »

I have a list of songs/albums which I feel actually help me to work better. Some of them are - Gregg Allman (Low Country Blues), Caribou (Swim), Thelonious Monk (Monk's Dream) and even I Want it That Way (Backstreet Boys). Basically anything that is not hard rock or hard metal and which allows me to hum along unknowingly as I work.
freakishly_smalls

Post by freakishly_smalls »

Whatever I am in the mood for. I listen to music almost 24/7 . If I am in a "mood" I will listen to more uplifting music to help get me in a better way of thinking
xshbells
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xshbells.html

Post by xshbells »

I personally love to listen to classical music when I write. Clair de Lune and Bella's Lullaby are two of my favorites. Classical music is really soothing and seems to direct me to the greatest ideas when writing.
D_Marquis

Post by D_Marquis »

I listen to Bach when I write. There is something so peaceful about the rhythms and patterns of his music - makes my fingers seem like they are floating over the keyboard. I like classical music in general when I am reading or writing, but Bach has been the best for writing.
elizabeth100
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth100.html

Post by elizabeth100 »

None , I like it quiet
pauljparisi
Favorite Author: King

Post by pauljparisi »

I have to to admit I listen to heavier stuff. I generally have a theme album for whatever and whenever I write . In my last novel I listened to Some Pink Flyod, but mostly Senses Fail and From first to last. I really believe the chapters can tell you who i was listening to while writing.
shellyb0813
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellyb0813.html

Post by shellyb0813 »

I know I'm weird, but when I wrote I usually listened to The Offspring! They really got me motivated for some reason.
authorrustynugent
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9452">Star Wars Return of the jedi</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by authorrustynugent »

I listen to heavy metal music. If it's a sweet caring time in the book I listen to softer metal music, nightingale. If it's a fight scene I listen to a darker and faster metal band, Amon Amarth. It helps me write and stay in the scene. Stephen King writes to music as well and many other authors do too. Keep on writing guys.
AshleyShaniceM
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyshanicem.html

Post by AshleyShaniceM »

Usually i am not listening to music but when i do it is light Jazz its so funky with no one lyrics just music!
emboorite0411

Post by emboorite0411 »

I tend to listen to punk rock and just generally loud and fast stuff. I like to block out the world and be in my own personal state of mind where no one can reach me.
bonnie75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie75.html

Post by bonnie75 »

More than likely classical. Very soothing music. Relaxing!
AparisNedd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparisnedd.html

Post by AparisNedd »

I just listen to the music that reflects the mood I will write in.I mostly listen to rap or rhythm and blues but occasionally pop music will do for me. My favorite artists to listen to is the rapper nas his music gives me inspiration.

Return to “Poetry & Music”