What music do you listen too when you write

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Re: What music do you listen too when you write

Post by cvega93 »

For me it depends on what scene I'm writing.
If it's like a horror scene, I have to listen to very dark or creepy sounding music. Typically screamo or rock.
If it's a love scene, it has to be happy and fun lol
And so on :)
bedheadisme
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

When I write I listen to two albums on repeat:
Hell Froze Over- Eagles
In Your Honor Disc 2- Foo Fighters

Both albums are mellow enough to become background noise and they both put me in this really introspective place. If I have some i'll burn some incense as well because it just takes me to my happy writing place.
Lei101

Post by Lei101 »

I never listen to music while im writing. Ill get too caught up in the beat to pay attention to the actual pen and paper.
RaineL
Favorite Author: There are many
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by RaineL »

It really depends on what I am writing but I have noticed that lately when I am writing I have been listening to a lot of Halestorm and Creed. Something with a fast beat. I just put my headphones on and see where it leads me.
Klarista1216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klarista1216.html

Post by Klarista1216 »

When I write I listen to anything that inspires the mood I am in or the mood I want to be in. If I am writing something romantic I listen to country love songs or TGT (Tank, Genuine, Tyrese). Versus if I am writing some thing more intense I go with some thing like rap, usually Eminem.
Jinn_G
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinn-g.html

Post by Jinn_G »

I like to have the "Superior Study Playlist" from Spotify playing when I set down to write.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I listen to the same playlist whenever I write. It's all music that I like but that does not take too much attention and goes well in the background.
It's especially great if it's in another language because that takes away my temptation to listen to lyrics instead of writing. Besides, Spanish music can be really great. Juanes...
Recently I've also been liking Regina Spektor. She works well as background music but her lyrics are also good when I have time to listen instead of tuning her out.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Absolutely nothing. When I write I am focused on the task at hand and distractions of any kind drive me up the wall.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

DATo wrote:Absolutely nothing. When I write I am focused on the task at hand and distractions of any kind drive me up the wall.
Not even if it were something less distracting, like classical with no words? No white noise at all?
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Post by +Eevee+ »

I think it really depends on my mood and what I'm writing. If I'm writing something happy then I'm listening to some pop song. If I'm writing something sad then I'm probably listening to a sad rock song.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

My favorite music to listen to while I write is Christian pop music. I find it often inspires and gets me into the rhythm of writing. I will also listen to classical music, as it calms me. I hate to write when it is absolutely silent. Even if I just have a sound machine on, it helps me.
mazza27
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mazza27.html

Post by mazza27 »

mellow type of music
icerose92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icerose92.html

Post by icerose92 »

When I'm writing, I have to listen to songs that I have not yet learned the words to. If I know the words, I'll sing along, and that makes writing impossible!
ashen0521
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashen0521.html

Post by ashen0521 »

I have a playlist of random ambient genre music that puts my mind at ease and helps me think. I started out using Pandora radio playlists.
RobC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robc.html

Post by RobC »

Usually nothing--though I do sometimes have the radio on. It nice sometimes to hear the sound of a human voice, even if I'm only half listening. My usual choice is BBC Radio5, which is a talk station here in the UK (news and sport). Occasionally I will turn the dial to one of the stations that play popular Indian music. I don't understand the language, apart from one or two words ("prem"= love) I just like the sound it makes.

Return to “Poetry & Music”