How did you know you are a poet?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
jibby9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibby9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: How did you know you are a poet?

Post by jibby9 »

I knew I was a poet when I found myself obsessed with the depth and versatility of words. I loved the complexity and the impossibility of writing--there are no limitations, no finite beginnings or ends, and you are the creator of your own universes. In writing, I found freedom and expression, and I took that and ran with it. It wasn't until I was older that I recognized that even though I don't publish my works or write every day, I am no more or less a poet. It's natural to me as I'm sure it is with many of you in this forum.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I always had a desire to write down thoughts and make it short yet full of meaning. One day, there was a poetry completion, I composed a poem and won.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I admire you all so much! I am not a poet. I love reading poetry, and I love breaking down the rhyme schemes, meters, symbolism, you name it. Poems have the unique ability to have strong impacts on people in different ways because they can be interpreted differently and beautifully. But I am not a poet. My work is elementary and unnatural. So, I will stick to reading! Y'all keep putting your artistry on paper.

:tiphat: :escribir: :escribir:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Eteru »

I first wrote a poem for our school publication, an organization where potential writers and journalists were being recruited. Yet, I didn't expect that some people would compliment me for my works! I guess that's where it started. If it wasn't for those people, I probably wouldn't be able to discover my passion and skills.
Ali789
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ali789 »

I happened to compete in a poem writing competition just for my friend. She dragged me in to a hall with lots of students.And the theme was about emotions and i just wrote down all in mind...And the first prize goes to...Me.. :D
ErenSerenity
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ErenSerenity »

I was about 9 years old when i started writing poetry. I was an angry kid and it was something i started from crying in my room when they came and took my older brother away for a long time. Now, i write to express myself and show what i can do with my words. Men and woman seem to like my poems so that's a plus.

~E.S
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I knew I wasn't a poet the day I wrote something and had everyone saying how great and amazing it was. They loved it, but deep down I knew it was crap. Seeing those adoring fans, I decided to go out on that high. Never written one since.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

The moment I started to write, that is it. No long stories behind.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

since i was a little girl in elementary

Return to “Poetry & Music”