How did you know you are a poet?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Kingsway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsway.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

How did you know you are a poet?

Post by Kingsway »

How did you realise that you can write poems?
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

I don't know. One day I just sat down and wrote about my feelings. I never thought that I was capable of writing a poem, I just stuck to writing stories. But I guess it's possible.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Seekeroflight
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Seekeroflight »

When I started speaking from my heart.
Abigail09
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Abigail09 »

It was my experience. I discovered when I was young how I loved putting words together, it just flowed. I would write a poem about situations too. Just Passion.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

when I entered a contest and won? I guess? Then I keep on entering contests when I was young until college and still won. I think that made me realize i am a poet.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I suppose that even before I could write I was aware of the pleasure and excitement of the rhythms and nuances of words. My Mum also read poetry aloud to me a great deal - though despite her love for Incy Wincy Spider I still have arachnophobia!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

Words sometimes just swirl through my head lyrically and I feel a great pressure to explore it more. When I do explore it, that is the work of poetry. Not just capturing the lyrics that came unbidden, but building on them into a whole work.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Not to be deadpan, but when I started writing poetry almost every day. I think you become what you do on the daily unless you purposefully separate yourself from the daily grind.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

When I was in high school writing poetry and creating portfolios as my final projects for English class.
bookishsoul

Post by bookishsoul »

I think you’re a poet when you feel that you look at the world differently than others. When some things are just so beautiful, moving, or devastating that the only way to make sense of them is to put them down on a page, that is when you are a poet. I think life in general is different for poets. It’s more intense, like it’s screamimg at you to make some sort of sense of it.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I realized that when I was writing things from the heart about the beauty of nature, love, wonder, etc. and I sent them in to a greeting card company and 10 of them were accepted on my first try! I never thought I would ever be able to write poetry, and I didn't even consider it poetry, but apparently they did. :)
rupe10
Favorite Book: The Polished Hoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupe10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by rupe10 »

High-school, 10th grade.

There was a mandatory poetry module in English class.

Some of my friends were freaking out 'cause they just couldn't get their heads around it.

I cranked about a bunch of random poems, in exchange for future favors) for them to choose from.

All my boys got at least 90% -- and three of them(with three different teachers) started getting harassed to join the poetry club and do contest submissions.

Was all shits & giggles until the principal started calling their folks --on behalf of the teachers.

Yep...That's when I had a notion.
ChiChi_7

Post by ChiChi_7 »

Between the ages of 8yrs and 12yrs old, I found myself becoming more and more interested in Poetry and books in general. Soon I started attempting to write my own and it just sort of took off from there. Writing has always made me happier and in my writing I mostly do best in poetry. Poetry flows much more for me and it just fits me.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I feel that anyone can be a poet if they put their mind to it. Not all poems have to rhyme or follow distinctive rules. In fashion technically songs are poems whether they be country rap hip-hop rock soul. A poem can be deep with metaphors or straight and simple. they can be dark or light or even in between. and its definitely not jus about love. the topic can be anything the author chooses. It is the authors discretion, that is after all what creative writing is about. The point of a poem depends on the authors meaning and not all poems have to be understood by everyone. I remember one year writing poetry for my Christian youth group who every year has events held at state and then regional and finally national levels. The poem I used that year my grandmother hated with a passion, she could not relate to it, she did not find what I saw in my work, but someone else had. A few of the judges saw so much potential in it that I could have went to regionals in New York that year, I chose not to that year. Sometimes a part of me wishes I had. I sometimes wish I would have found out if it could have gone national, but sometimes the best poetry is the humble kind. ones that others stumble upon and help flourish instead of the lavishly exploited debuts that are often forgotten a year or two later.
For some it is more natural like myself. for me I always had a way with words, so much so that one year when I had a mentor who was a published author himself he told me that he wanted me to write a poem with a title he gave me. it was a challenge something I had never done before so of course I accepted his assignment. the title he gave me was Sugar Buzz Blues You see as a type 1 juvenile diabetic he wanted to see and feel what I felt because he was not. I wrote a two versed poem that I sent into a local towns poetry contest, they loved it so much that it was one among many published in their winners book. The library there I am sure still has a copy of it to this day.
one thing I wish to share as it is on my mind, is one thing that I remember my dear mentor told me that year- no matter what you write or how you write it a poem is not a poem until its final copy is read aloud.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

When you can put down on paper what you are feeling, then you are a poet. You might not be published. Others might not appreciate your work. You might not even share your poems. But still you are a poet.

Return to “Poetry & Music”