Who/What Is Your Biggest Inspiration When Writing Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Re: Who/What Is Your Biggest Inspiration When Writing Poetry?

Post by SPasciuti »

In the case of poetry, I'd say my biggest inspiration has always been emotions. I do typically gravitate toward love as an emotion to write about, though I've definitely touched on anger and sadness and depression when I write. For a while it just came down to how I felt that day. I don't write poetry as often as I used to, but I'd definitely still cite emotion as the biggest form of inspiration I could have.
k_alexcia
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by k_alexcia »

My first love, my pain.. Sometimes rays of the sun, sometimes the crashing of waves.

It comes and it goes.
culturelee999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by culturelee999 »

For me my biggest inspiration for writing poems are my mother for "who" and conditionalities for "what". To date I have a collection of over 600 pieces of poetry of various categories.
Hisqueen
Favorite Author: Sharon M. Draper
Currently Reading: Tears of a Tiger
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 3296

Post by Hisqueen »

When i write my biggest imsperation would have to be my family even if its threw the bad times i write they help me and are a main part of my writing.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Disturbing feelings and overwhelming emotions make me want to write them all down. My inspiration are the poets I like. I like Lord Byron the most.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Vice_jade1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vice-jade1.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Vice_jade1 »

tmazonga wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 18:10 Everyday happenings are the source of inspiration for my poetry.
I believe this to the fullest almost any everyday thing can make some type of poem just show up in our heads. Maybe we think that our best poetry comes from the fact of something emotional until we realize emotions are everyday...
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

I was inspired early on by Emily Dickenson's style. Her poem "The Bustle In A House" was the first poem I memorized in school. I was so impressed by how impactful the poem was despite its short size. I have read many poems - some very long, some quite short, but the shorter ones tend to make more of an impression on me. I don't get lost in a sea of stanzas.

And, of course, to me - poetry is about conveying emotion and immediacy of a time/place/event/feeling. If it doesn't feel real and relatable, then I haven't been successful.
ZR_7
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zr-7.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by ZR_7 »

I can get inspired by all sorts of things: especially when I am in a mood, I tend to write a lot of poetry.

I get inspired most often just before falling asleep, when I am too tired to actually get up and write my ideas down, so, alas, the poem transforms into a dream, and I fall asleep~
ebriana1112

Post by ebriana1112 »

When I write a poem, I can think of my mom and my huband and I write creatively.
darkangel23

Post by darkangel23 »

When I'm writing poetry I try to express who I really am. The pain I've been through, the happiness I wished had lasted forever. I want to be remembered for what I write I want to inspire those that read it, this is a dream of mine I want go last a lifetime.
Eevia White
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevia-white.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Eevia White »

To begin with, writing poetry is quite challenging and there certainly needs to be a hefty amount of inspiration for the poet to draw from. Having said that, I would consider my biggest inspiration to be my biggest fear... Poems for me need to reflect an unseen facet of my character, and my deepest fears usually dominate my poems, whether I intend it or not. Poets who have written poems along the same lines are a great source of inspiration (especially Kavafis). Don't be afraid to imitate your favorite poets! As Eliot said: ''good poets borrow, great poets steal'' :shhh:
greynami143

Post by greynami143 »

My inspiration is what I thought. My thoughts make me alive and to dream. It gives me imagination and free will to give infos to others and by this I am composing this type of reply to you.
rejtastic81
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by rejtastic81 »

When writing poetry, I tend to get my inspiration on my current emotion. Like, when I'm angry about a certain issue/person, when I'm happy about something, when I'm scared and confused, when my heart aches because of someone/something, and when I'm terribly alone and sad. These triggers words that I wished was spoken or expressed but was hidden in the depths of my soul, and I can only get it out through poetry. Cause, if I can't, I think I'm gonna explode! boom!
EMae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by EMae »

Whenever I am in extreme emotions such as feeling lonely,happy,and sad I get more ideas in writing a certain poem. Moreover,the varied experiences I have inspire me to write on certain things of different subjects.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

It varies. I write both serious and humorous poetry. With the former, I draw on my own emotions and experiences, and try to empathise with those of others, as well as reacting to nature, current events, etc. With my humorous poetry it's slightly different. I may base it on something funny I have experienced or seen, but I also like the 'what if' trick, and placing a different perspective on a familiar story or situation.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Poetry & Music”