Are you a songwriter?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
bturrill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Are you a songwriter?

Post by bturrill »

I've written and performed songs for a long time - I'm still writing songs, along with other things, but writing lyrics seems to be my preference. If you are a songwriter, I'd be curious about anything you'd care to share about songwriting - what works, doesn't work, whether you use a word processor or pen and paper, working late at night, outside in the natural world, with someone else or solo.

Have you ever sold a song, and how did that work and feel? Lyrics often seem like children and sending them out to the wider world can be difficult, although that's a very personal view on my part. I don't mind singing what I have written but I'm very reluctant to pursue any of the ways there are to sell lyrics. I also have to write lyrics using a pen and paper, although I will use my laptop to create the final version. I don't have that problem when writing anything else (except poetry), but there's something about holding a pen that connects to my brain in a very different way than using a keyboard.
luxury Kayleb
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luxury-kayleb.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by luxury Kayleb »

Well just like you I love music and writing lyrics is my utmost joy. And the funny bit of it is that I'm like versatile in genres. That I some time become confused if asked my genre
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I would love to be, but no such talent!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Liana Miro

Post by Liana Miro »

I enjoy writing songs every now and then. There is something about it that makes me feel excited about every time. Though I might say, I don't have any specific procedures as to how i write but for me it just comes naturally. Whether I'm doing dishes, taking a stroll, or just sitting, I get this ideas popping in my mind and i just grab a pen and paper or my cellphone and write down my thoughts or record myself humming n some random tunes. I've never sold any of my songs yet because I think that they lack something and I constantly practice while I can so I can improve my skills.
Wahu lucy
Currently Reading: The Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahu-lucy.html

Post by Wahu lucy »

I used to write music a while back i got to perform them with my friends.Now i compose poetry.Either poetry or lyrics to a song the best way to write them down at first is on a book.Mostly i use a drawing pencil since i have to make alot of changes with the rhymes or maybe word patterns.I have in years convinced myself that a book and a pen produce the best artistic work.
And mostly when i type something down i end up rejecting the project somewhere along the way.
D_A_Hopkins

Post by D_A_Hopkins »

I have been built into a songwriter as a poet. I have recently published my book and I somehow managed to get a email to a music producer in Nashville and now my poem is waiting on a talented singer to make it a hit. :) :roll2:
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a songwriter but it is something that I'm trying to get into someday. I know they say that songs are just poetry but I don't think they are quite that simple. I think they are a little more complicated than poetry because you have to imagine music behind your lyrics.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Never tried it, would love to
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Terry madee

Post by Terry madee »

yes.. I write songs.. depending on life experience what I feel.. and what I've learnt
brown katty
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by brown katty »

Am an artiste,I can compose song very well,but to write it is kinda hard for me,but am trying to write my songs down before going to studio to record it
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

No, I am not a songwriter. However, I am sure it is really neat.

If a person would want to dab in songwriting a little (not the musical notes though), what tips would you give to that person?

Is songwriting (not the musical notes) like writing poetry? Again, I am not a poet.

Does Songwriters Market teach anything on this topic?

In what direction would you point a person interested in learning?

Thanks!

:)
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
brown katty
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by brown katty »

Am currently working on a song with my crew,which will soon drop,the song is talking about love,about someone who you truly love and he/she keep on doubting your love for him/her
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Am not a song writer but i have a soft spot for poetry. Wish i could be of much help :cry:
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

No, but I tried songwriting due to a school requirement, and hadn’t write ever since.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

NO I am not a songwriter. I have tried to write songs because I play the piano, but it is really hard.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Return to “Poetry & Music”