Music For Studying?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: Music For Studying?

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I tend to avoid music for studying. Fresh air works the best. :) Otherwise, something soft and instrumental, because I find myself focusing on lyrics more than whatever I'm studying otherwise. Unless I'm trying to keep a rhythm like in CPR, then it's easier to have the lyrics for Staying Alive in my head...
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Hampton_Roe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hampton_Roe »

I like the radio in the background...
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I'd be distracted by anything with lyrics as I'd find myself singing along. Soft classical pieces work for while studying or doing things like paying bills.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I suggest going on Pandora, finding a mix of genres and then letting it play on low volume as you work. Studying is difficult for many because many people have never been taught how to study. Reading your text books, taking notes and then copying them if you must memorize, coming up with mnemonic devices, creating lyrics to a song to help learn content...there are so many ways. I suggest you identify how you learn best. Are you visual, kinesthetic, or auditory? If you are auditory I would not recommend listening to music since it will distract you. Online tutorials/animations are great for visual learners. Study groups can also be useful since you retain 90% of the information you teach to others. Creating tangible products like models, illustrated timelines, etc. also increase retention. Sorry to digress from your original question...just a few thoughts from an educator.
dawn_1999_20

Post by dawn_1999_20 »

I love music, but softly.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I prefer complete silence when I'm studying.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Hello Wasif Ahmed,

It has always baffled me how some people can listen to music while studying and others cannot. Personally, I cannot study without music. Actually, I pretty much need music to function in any sort of way. I love rock, punk, and metal music more than anything and primarily used music of that sort to study. However, those types probably would not work for you.

I highly and without any hesitation suggest you try to listen to a genre called "post-rock". I cannot express to you enough how wonderful this genre is and just how beautiful it is. It is one of my all time favorite styles of music to listen to, no matter what I am doing. And when I study, post-rock is the kind of music that brings me the best results. The music is so harmonic, melodic, peaceful and one of the most beautiful genres ever. The songs are almost entirely instrumental so there is no worrying about getting caught up in the lyrics as well. The music is extremely emotion driven, and so much passion can be heard, so it never fails to motivate me to work on what I am doing. Yet still, despite it's dynamics as something very powerful, it is not like you are listening to an epic cinematic film score for Lord of the Rings. That would be too distracting. The music of post-rock is very subtle in it's strength, able to guide me with it's music like normal brain waves. It is not distracting nor are you unable to notice it. It's the perfect blend.

I cannot recommend post-rock to you enough, and really hope that if you check it out it will help you the way you seek.

To help you out, here are a few bands and albums that I think are some of the best (the album names are in parenthesis):

Hammock (Oblivion Hymns)

Mono (Hymn to the Immortal Wind)

Goodnight, Sleep Well (The Recovery)

Sunlight Ascending (All The Memories, All At Once)

Explosions In The Sky (The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place)

Caspian (Waking Season)

There are so many others out there (seriously, there are a lot of post-rock bands) and literally every album I have heard is beautiful and amazing. You could honestly just search for post-rock and you will find something amazing. I really hope that it works for you, and if not, maybe just try ambient music. There is an ambient band called Altus and they are absolutely amazing... Ambient music is kind of like if the universe could make noises and helps a lot in reading, doing math, or just studying in general.

P.S. I recommend the first post-rock band you listen to is one called Qualia. They have an album called "Everything is Going To Be Fine" and it is my favorite post-rock album ever...
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

The only music I can listen to while studying is classical music. If I listen to anything with lyrics or anything like pop, I get too distracted and can't focus anymore. Even classical is sometimes too distracting... I am usually one that needs silence to study. I only bother turning on classical music if there is something even more distracting then music (ie TV) in the background.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
raymondwalley
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by raymondwalley »

It has worked for me for over fifty years now though I listen mostly to classical, Beethoven and Mozart are particularly useful but groups such as Pink Floyd work for me too. It helped particularly when I was writing my book.

The scientific view seems to be that music speaks to us at a very deep level, it does foe me anyway. Try it and see but try it several times, not just once.
kyle364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle364.html

Post by kyle364 »

I could listen to music with lyrics when doing math (back in school) but I can't have lyrics if I'm reading or something with comprehension as I get caught up in the lyrics. As of recently I started using instrumentals when I'm working - any genre - and I like it a lot.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Usually I study in as quiet an environment as possible, but I recently discovered during Finals that aural brain waves (like alpha waves or gamma waves) usually keep my mind focused on the work. I also find that meditation music works wonders for me.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
reading_monsoon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-monsoon.html

Post by reading_monsoon »

I either listen to electronic music, classical music or metal instrumental music when I'm studying
jenayathewriter

Post by jenayathewriter »

I know people have to choose whether or not they are able to concentrate with songs (including lyrics) or instrumental music. I listen to songs with lyrics, especially ones that have a strong beat when studying since it helps me work faster. However, I have friends that can't listen to anything except instrumental music because the lyrics are too distracting for them!
karlpelham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlpelham.html

Post by karlpelham »

Anything that doesn't have words that I can easily pick up on. Classical piano music has been a constant while studying, but I've also recently gotten into modern Cello. While it is exciting, it's not too distracting.
Jazzed063
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31955">The Mozart Conspiracy</a>
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzed063.html

Post by Jazzed063 »

As much as I love music, I find if I try to listen while studying or working, it's just a distraction. However, I know people who can't study without it. Maybe try different genres to see if there is one that works for you. =)

Return to “Poetry & Music”