Music For Studying?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Music For Studying?

Post by Desmond Abey »

I can't study fast enough when listening to music. I always end up listening to the words and getting distracted
adebowale50
Currently Reading: We live in Social Space
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by adebowale50 »

I would rather get the music of when studying
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I agree with other users, classical music is best for memorising or studying things that need to be remembered. For mathematics, its upbeat music to keep you awake and processing. If you want to avoid singing or getting distracted, try searching for instrumental ones.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

stoppoppingtheP wrote: 28 Sep 2016, 07:49 I can't study when listening to music. I always end up listening to the words and getting distracted. I sometimes listen to music in other languages though, that's not too bad. Maybe classical music would help.
I would agree with you. I listen to songs of different languages when I'm studying. That helps me to concentrate on my work more than what I'm listening.
-R
rapmonion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rapmonion »

Listening to Chill Hiphop helps me out while studying. It does not have lyrics but has steady rhythms which will entertain but not distract the listener.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Lo-fi pop is amazing. It's wonderful, especially if you are a procrastinator like me, because helps to calm you down when you are freaking out about getting homework done. It also makes studying enjoyable :)
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Science has proven that listening to music with a strong beat and even measures will strengthen the math/science side of your brain. They did a study with kids taking their achievement tests in school. Half had a silent room. The other half listened to Mozart softly in the background. The music group scored higher on math and spatial relationships.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I tend to listen to the instrumental soundtracks of my favorite games. For example, I listen to the Mass Effect soundtrack while I study or read and the soundtrack for Gone Home has some really good ambient music that is perfect for studying.
yveone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yveone »

I am one of the top 10 students in my class and it is all because of listening to rock music and eating brain food like nuts while studying. I usually listen to alternative rock preferably bands such as Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy and Twenty One Pilots. Their music gives off good vibes and lyrics I can pretty much relate to.

Maybe all I'm saying is that listening to what you love and the type that you're in vibe with can help you focus and have fun while doing other stuff, specifically studying.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I think it is best to have music you like or favor playing in the background while studying. Sometimes a little backgroud noise makes it easier to focus but at low volumes to avoid it interfering with the concentration.
btlyn
Favorite Book: Girls with Swords
Currently Reading: The Two Towers
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by btlyn »

I enjoy listening to lo-fi hip hop when studying. I feel like it definitely improves my overall studying. When studying another language, I like to listen to music in that certain language. Specifically in the ballad genre.
Readergmp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readergmp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Readergmp »

In regards to studying or working, I usually listen to music with just beats mean no words or a mellow tune from certain artists. For instance, I really like Justin Timberlake so while I am working on a project at work I will put Pandora on shuffle and just loud enough not to disturb my coworkers. This helps increase my production and maintain a sense of accomplishment. :techie-studyinggray:
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I think we all have to learn what kind of learner so we can do what is applicable. Listening to songs while trying to study may work on some but not for all. As for me, i actually listen to a variety of music when i study. At moments i listen to instrumentals, sometimes i listen to jazz and Broadway musicals. Most of the time i have one song on repeat for i don't know how long. There are even moments i put the sound on full blast coz it helps me listen to myself. But then as what i have said, it depends on what type of learner you are.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

Sometimes, I need music to study, classical and jazz, music without lyrics, most of the time. Other times, music is just a distraction.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

If I'm doing anything that I have to concentrate on then I turn on jazz, specifically dixieland jazz. I used to not enjoy it at all but I figured out it was good background noise while painting so now it's my youtube playlist go to.

Return to “Poetry & Music”