What Type of Music Do You Enjoy Listening to While Reading?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
MORWA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What Type of Music Do You Enjoy Listening to While Readi

Post by MORWA »

i usually lisen to rnb while i am reading books...it makes the reading more intresting and more fun...I CAN FOCUS VERY WELL
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

AA1495 wrote:Sound of any kind when I'm trying to read or write really distracts me. Sometimes, I like instrumental music. Generally, I like silence when I'm trying to read.
That's exactly how I feel. A little bit of classical music is relaxing and not as distracting as other music types.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
catherinesomers
Favorite Author: Gillian Flynn
Bookshelf Size: 22
fav_author_id: 1801

Post by catherinesomers »

I would love to listen to music when I read, but I have this huge problem where I can't. I would just go with the music and forget about what I'm reading at the moment.
njenganjery2017
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by njenganjery2017 »

I like to be silent while reading,i understand my books better
JenDelaPena

Post by JenDelaPena »

I like listening to reggae music while reading....it relaxes me but sometimes it is depends on the kind of book that i am reading. :)
J Conrad Guest

Post by J Conrad Guest »

I don't listen to music while reading. Too distracting trying to make sense of words on a page competing with lyrics being sung. I also find distracting the rhythms and melodies of instrumentals.

Writing, on the other hand... well, I listen to everything from Monk (bebop) to Brubeck (jazz), classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin), and also the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, DMB, Gary Moore, John Lee Hooker, and a host of others. My CD collection is far too large, and growing. Can't seem to get by on Pandora alone.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

It just depends on what I am in the mood for. I will listen to instrumental music, love songs on pandora, country music, Christian music, even Christmas music during the holidays. Like I said, it just depends on what I am in the mood for. Often times I read while my mom and I are watching tv though.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
sheilajepkoech
Currently Reading: Severed Threads
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by sheilajepkoech »

Hard rock...flows so sweet
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I usually listen to any type of instrumentals but that's only because if they have lyrics I get distracted.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I enjoy light and romantic music while reading. It makes me feel comfortable and happy.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

I prefer listening to jazz or soft music while reading. It's relaxing.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Arthur Muthee
Currently Reading: One Last Lie
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-muthee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arthur Muthee »

Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I can do both at the same time. But it depends on the plot and genre of my story as I will match it to the song on my playlist and the mood I was in during reading. For example, if I read sad, heartbreaking story, I will find a sad song to match the situation and if I really had to cry (depressed in that moment). To immerse myself in, I'll reduced the song's volume exactly at the pace I want to immersed in. I usually listens to korean music though, ballad ones, if I'm sad. If the story is of happy, comedic or romantic genres, I wouldn't listen to any songs. Simply read it anyway :)
jedreid
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by jedreid »

I would prefer instrumentals though it doesn't really matter since i get too absorb when i'm reading i wouldn't hear/notice anything.
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

If I'm doing English homework or reading textbooks, I have to listen to classical music with no words otherwise I get distracted or try to sing lol. For math and other school work or cleaning up around my house I just listen to what I feel like that day. Today as I'm typing this, I'm listening to The Neighbourhood. :D

Return to “Poetry & Music”