What Type of Music Do You Enjoy Listening to While Reading?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: What Type of Music Do You Enjoy Listening to While Reading?

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I listen to a lot of Indie music while reading as they can just be part of the background.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I listen to K-POP while reading, a lot of EXO ballads. smile on my face by EXO is one of my favourites.
ChanelS
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChanelS »

I love to listen to classic jazz when reading. It smooths my mind and very relaxing.
Tonyne
Currently Reading:

Post by Tonyne »

I like to listen to Jazz, Classical and Christian Contemporary. It depends on my mood, as I will also listen to Indie/Folk music some days.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I don't usually do very well reading while listening to any music that has lyrics. There is a live youtube channel that plays piano 24/7 that I listen to when I am reading or writing typically.
Jennifer28

Post by Jennifer28 »

I usually don't listen to music when I read. I find it distracting, and my mind tries to focus on both the song lyrics and the words that I'm reading. When I writing though, I listen to punk rock.
YabaniB

Post by YabaniB »

Soul music
Cowgirl87
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cowgirl87 »

I rather read a book in a quite room with no music playing in the back ground if there is music playing I find I reread the page I was on. If I ever do would be classic country
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I prefer absolute silence while am reading because it helps with assimilation. However, I prefer country music when I doing some calculations especially if I am applying the same equation over and over again. That way, the equation has been imprinted in my brain and I don't need to think or concentrate so much in order to apply it. Country music also works for me in the lab when I have to keep running prepared samples through the same analytical instrument.

Most importantly, I love gospel music a lot and I listen to those while driving or when am about to sleep.
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

Music with lyrics can be distracting. I'll usually type "epic fantasy battle music" or just "epic fantasy music" into youtube and listen to a playlist while I'm reading. It really sets the tone.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I often do not listen to music while I read, but when I do its typically from Ed Sheeran's Divide album. It's peaceful and familiar which creates the perfect mix of enjoyable and background noise.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I generally listen to anything I can listen to while reading but if I had to choose? I'd say movie soundtracks. I also use anime soundtracks. There's just something about good orchestral music that gets me into a book.
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

I can't have music on while I read, because I will invariably get distracted and start analyzing the music. The only exception is if I know the music really well, have heard it 100+ times, and have therefore analyzed it to death. Then I can sometimes use it as background music, although it is still distracting to some degree. My brain is not talented enough at multitasking to enjoy music and reading at the same time!

If I could, I would probably listen to cinematic soundtracks.
Res Alexis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

I love to sing along as long as that song or music appeals to my liking at that given time.Hence,having a divided concentration. I cherish reviewing a book in silence.This grants me the opportunity to fully think ,concentrate and comprehend about the narration thoroughly.
Duckie425
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Duckie425 »

No music if I'm reading a book. But, if I'm reading a magazine it depends on my mood at the moment. For instance, yesterday I read my Cosmopolitan while listening to Stevie Wonder (Jungle Fever soundtrack) and En Vogue (Free Your Mind cd).

Return to “Poetry & Music”