Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by AA1495 »

Yes. Sometimes music can set a particular mood and give me inspiration to do something creative, such as writing
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

Depends on the style of writing. If it's for school, I usually need silence or can do classical.

If it's creative, a nice glass of wine and some coffee shop jazz gets the writing juices flowing.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Izabella
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Izabella »

I would say that yes, music, like a beautiful landscape can inspire thought, which can then be channeled and transmitted into words….and made into a story. I imagine that it also depends on what genre your writing. I write romance. Right now, I like listening to Charlie Puth for inspiration.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

It helps if I can block it out and have it on as background noise. Otherwise, I get distracted. I also can't focus if it's too quiet.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

bruin wrote:It helps if I can block it out and have it on as background noise. Otherwise, I get distracted. I also can't focus if it's too quiet.
wow that's a tough situation. I can hardly ever manage to block out sound. It really really distracts me
Mp_218

Post by Mp_218 »

Music helps me focus more when writing.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

Background music is definitely something that's been important to me when doing work for the longest time. When I write or complete school work, it always helps me to have something playing in the background. Sometimes, if I don't have music in the background, I'll leave a movie or something of the sort on.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Genaaa wrote:Background music is definitely something that's been important to me when doing work for the longest time. When I write or complete school work, it always helps me to have something playing in the background. Sometimes, if I don't have music in the background, I'll leave a movie or something of the sort on.
It's true that it's relaxing and makes tasks seem less tiresome. Concentration may get affected though.
cnag9604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnag9604.html

Post by cnag9604 »

As long as it doesn't have any words in it, I can focus on writing!
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

cnag9604 wrote:As long as it doesn't have any words in it, I can focus on writing!
Haha yeah, that makes sense. Till it's soothing music though. Nothing screechy.
red_velvet_girl7
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-red-velvet-girl7.html
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by red_velvet_girl7 »

Not really.. but yeah, I like ti play it in the background while writing sometimes
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

No. It's a real problem.

FWIW, my first career and all my formal education was in music. There's always a part of my mind that's analyzing, comparing, relating... I need those parts of my brain to pay attention when I'm writing LOL
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

It depends on the mood I guess, but sometimes yea
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

It does help me write. It depends on the type. I usually like listening to instrumentals, classical or piano renditions.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I do a lot of my writing at the local coffee shop, so I always have ear buds in with music playing to help drown out the background noise. What I listen to depends a lot on my mood or on the project I am working on. I enjoy listening to scores from various movies, but I also listen to a lot of bluegrass when I'm writing. Helps me to mellow out. Lately, I've been listening to Irish music while I work on a piece of fiction I'm writing that is set in Ireland.

Return to “Poetry & Music”