Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Cupcakeoreo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by Cupcakeoreo »

Music helps me write poetry, but only if it's soft and matches the mood I'm writing in so if I'm writing something sad, the music has to be sad. If I'm writing something happy, the music has to be upbeat. I think for me it just helps me stay on track.
Abdullah Kinan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Abdullah Kinan »

Yes! Yes! And yes!

Music inspires most of my writing. I listen to a lot of drum and bass genres and the vocals often inspire my new writing.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I enjoy listening to music and it certainly inspires me, but I find that if I try to write while it's playing I get sort of distracted :-/
especially if it is vocal, I can focus better if it is only instrumental (although I love music with lyrics!)
-Thea M. Frederick
Baya Osborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Baya Osborn »

To me it does a lot.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

I love writing to strong, classical music that makes me feel triumphant and productive. Of course, varying the style to suit whatever you're writing would also be a helpful approach.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Music helps me write essays where I already have my ideas and phrases planned out, but it doesn't help with brainstorming or creative writing. There's an anecdote in Richard Williams's The Animator's Survival Kit where he asks a veteran Disney cartoonist if he listens to music while he writes, and the veteran explodes and says he can't focus on two things at once!
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

It does! But it has to be music that isn't load. I like my music to be soft and melodic so I can concentrate better. I listen to music not only when I write but when I study as well.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

As many other people have said, classical music is really the only music that does the trick. I listen to other genres of music when I'm writing (in fact I'm listening to other music right now). But when it comes down to it, I will turn on classical music, or no music at all, when writing. Specifically, violin focused music helps me focus. I wonder why that is?
Divergent fire
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-fire.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: Mobile

Post by Divergent fire »

Yes...music helps in creating ideas and keeps my mind calm .
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

It does not! As a musically-inclined person, playing or listening to music while writing just diverts my attention to breaking down the musicality of the song instead of writing. It's a curse! I guess enjoying two things at the same time is just so powerful for a human mind.
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

Music does sometimes help me write especially in trying to get in the mood for a scene or just focusing on the task at hand. However, when it comes to writing, I have a rule with myself: don't listen to songs with lyrics. I realized that I'll get distracted or start paying attention to the words of the song more than the words I'm writing. So, I have a playlist on my phone called "Writing" filled with film scores, classical music, instrumental songs, and other lyric less music to help me focus and get in the mood. I like it a lot and its helped me branch out to a new style of music I'm not sure I would've found enjoyment in had I not been writing.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I can't concentrate when music is on. I am unable to serve two Masters.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
sanelekhumalox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sanelekhumalox »

I can concentrate when I play music because I feel in my own world
AgentJay007
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
Bookshelf Size: 24
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by AgentJay007 »

Definitely. I like to change my music based on the emotion I want to write about. For example, if I'm writing about love, I like to listen to love songs to really feel that emotion then write and describe how I'm feeling. It really helps me a lot.
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

Yeah! Some songs may creat a kind of inspiration to me believe me. But that is not any kind of song....if you know what I mean

Return to “Poetry & Music”