Poetry Rules - Yay or Nay

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Poetry Rules - Yay or Nay

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

@TME888. What a lovely idea! We could wake up in the morning and go from Bed to Verse!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Russell Burke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by Russell Burke »

EllieA hits the nail on the head. The limits of different metres--whether in iambic pentameter, a sonnet, or whatever else--ideally should inspire creativity rather than discouraging it, for the rules force you to think carefully about how to best express yourself within the system, in a sort of "do more with less" way.
Aishat Rabiu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishat-rabiu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Aishat Rabiu »

AA1495 wrote: 12 Sep 2016, 11:42 I prefer free verse. Why hold back something that someone really wants to say?
Me too. The free flow of the mind through my pen speaks a lot
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I love poetry! It is a beautiful way to express yourself, and a beautiful thing to read. It is also an enjoyable challenge.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Poetry is painting a picture with words. It's good to know how to paint on the canvas, but sometimes paint drips and that is just part of the artwork.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I have always preferred free verse because you can express yourself more authentically, in my opinion. However, if you are following a certain style of poetry, I believe it's important to follow the rules, especially since many forms of poetry are cultural and the rules are symbolic .
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Romuald Shawon
Currently Reading:

Post by Romuald Shawon »

The beauty of poetry can only be appreciated by lovers of poetry and masters of the art. It is my belief that the art of poetry can be learnt through study and writing.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Tbunde5 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:56 Poetry is the language of the heart. It is the only written form that can capture pure emotion, other than music. Being a music person myself, I prefer rhythm and rhyme. But it’s the feeling within the verse that matters!
Yay. Poetry is not poetry without some kind of rhyme or repetition because that is what draws out emotion, as in music. Even good prose writing incorporates features if poetry. The best books I read are keeping me reading due to the repetition of words, the variety in sentence structures which mimic a flowing river with stops and starts.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I think at the end of the day it all depends on what kind of poetry you want to write. Formal poems with strict rules work better for some than others, but mostly the trend for poems are now free verse. Since you seem new to the practice I'd suggest trying both and see which you like better. It never hurts to try. I always write in free verse but I have written a few formal poems for a college course. Even though I prefer free verse, I'm glad I tried formal as well because I now have an appreciation for it.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I take any "rules" others place on writing with a grain of salt. There is always and exception to the rule when it comes to writing, and there are plenty of authors and works to prove it. Research some stuff on your own and decide if you want to follow a certain path or not.

I personally write poetry how I feel like it at that moment. Sometimes that means it's a free-form poem, sometimes it follows a certain style. It's up to you.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

"Rules" in poetry are fantastic! They are what really bring out the inventiveness and creativity in writing. Restrictions do, honestly, make for the best results, because they lead to focus.

In my experience, free verse is often something that newer poets get into because they find meter and rhyme schemes frustrating, and then they end up producing that would be better described as abstract prose. Some of the greatest poetry in the English language was written in free verse, but invariably by people who learnt the craft writing structured verse.

I implore everyone interested in poetry to genuinely attempt structured verse, and not just toss it aside "because my feelings don't fit in a rhyme scheme". That's an excuse, nothing more.
Lamoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamoy.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Lamoy »

I think whether rules or not, the poet decides. I haven't tried the one with rules, I prefer mixing but I've met people who do so well with rules. Just a poem from the heart should do.
mrc_cmbs

Post by mrc_cmbs »

This is kind of weird because I really struggle in writing in free verse because I'm so used to putting rhymes in all of my poems. That holds me back a bit when it comes to writing in free verse. But as I am writing this, I did realize that I can still write in free verse while including all the rhymes that I can use. Now, for thr last problem, I haven't really been stacking up for my vocabulary. Sometimes, there are words that I want to use that either don't rhyme or I don't know what that word is.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I prefer free verse and that is the only style I write in (minus my years in grad school forced to comply with structure, sonnet writing and complicated rhyming schemes).
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I don’t think poetry should have rules. It’s a stream of consciousness and if you are tied down by rules, it skewes the result,

Return to “Poetry & Music”