Best music for reading?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Melinda Louise
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melinda-louise.html

Best music for reading?

Post by Melinda Louise »

I am a semi-professional musician AND a book lover. I've found that some music is better for reading than others. Depending on the genre, I tend to gravitate more towards instrumental songs so that the words of the song don't interfere with the words on the page. What are some of your go-to songs for reading?
AutumnPhillips
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by AutumnPhillips »

I am not really a fan of this particular example, but I do know about a certain 50 Shades Of Gray classical music soundtrack lol ;) I came across it by accident when I was searching for different versions of Bach's Goldberg Variations, and, apparently, the Aria of the Goldberg Variations is on 2 different soundtracks for 50 Shades Of Gray... Still not sure how to feel about that, but I downloaded it anyway! I'd love to find other examples of literary soundtracks though :)
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I think that any genre that you enjoy is good for reading. I like simple, acoustic pieces when I am reading. My boyfriend likes to listen to rock and even electronic when he reads. It really just depends on what makes you feel at peace.
ksherryf
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksherryf.html

Post by ksherryf »

I enjoy listening to the Piano Guys when I read. The sound of the piano and cello together is delightful and relaxing.
Stefanus Kristian
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanus-kristian.html

Post by Stefanus Kristian »

anneloretrujillo wrote:I think that any genre that you enjoy is good for reading. I like simple, acoustic pieces when I am reading. My boyfriend likes to listen to rock and even electronic when he reads. It really just depends on what makes you feel at peace.
I agree that each people have their own preferences for the kind of music he/she like.
I like instrumental, acoustic, not too loud (can't concentrate), and not too slow (makes me sleepy).
Music with words, obviously will interfere with words on the book, makes me can't concentrate on the book, or even worse makes me sing along.
Alexzander23
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexzander23.html

Post by Alexzander23 »

When it comes to listening to music while reading, I only have two options. I either go with soft instrumentals and chillstep or classical piano and orchestra type music. I can't listen to music with words while I'm reading. My mind will want to focus on the words and then next thing i know five minutes have passed and im still on the same paragraph lol
arilynn

Post by arilynn »

I usually listen to country. But I also sing while I read so the lyrics don't usually bother me. My mom always thought that was weird lol
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I don't really listen to anything while I'm reading. Not on purpose at least. I can still read with no issues while my son or husband have the tv going or are talking, but I don't think I would just turn on music so I can read.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Trehanna7
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trehanna7.html

Post by Trehanna7 »

I would say classical, and especially soft nature sound tunes.
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

J.S. Bach hands down.
pinstar
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (Unpublished Old Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by pinstar »

Anything without words that has a softer tone to it, that is usually the least distracting for me.
Sierra Rose
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sierra Rose »

Lately, I have been very distracted with my go-to instrumental reading music (as a classically trained musician, I'm always pondering the meter, form, etc.). I am now gravitating toward more meditative/ambience music such as Deuter and Annette Cantor. It really puts your mind at ease.
wuliwawa
Currently Reading: Mothers and Other Liars

Post by wuliwawa »

ksherryf wrote:I enjoy listening to the Piano Guys when I read. The sound of the piano and cello together is delightful and relaxing.

i like the piano guys too!! They are geniuses!

All of me
Let me in
Michael Meet Mozart
Moonlight
Desert Symphony

I listen to them every morning !
BellaV

Post by BellaV »

I use to listen to any kind of punk and rock music but ever since I learned how to play the guitar and drums I can't focus on just the book anymore and move around too much. I've started to go to calmer instrumentals like a band called "This Will Destroy You." Mainly their S/T album which helps me concentrate on homework too.
firecat88
Currently Reading: Trapped
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by firecat88 »

This is probably going to sound weird, but it depends on the genre. Fantasy will have varying Celtic music depending on if it's medieval (folk music) or urban (Celtic rock). If it's a novelization from a TV show or movie, I will try to have the corresponding soundtrack playing. With romance novels, for some reason, I always somehow end up listening to Of Monsters and Men. For anything horror, the 7th Guest soundtrack.

Return to “Poetry & Music”