Emotions & Poetry

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
5ngela
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5ngela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Emotions & Poetry

Post by 5ngela »

I think you can. But normally people don't do that because when they feel passionately about something, words just seem to flow out naturally and smoothly. Hence you can feel their emotion when reading their poem.
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

It's extremely hard, but yes. However, sometimes the real emotions can leak through and be seen between the lines.
jstaymate
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstaymate.html

Post by jstaymate »

I believe ones mind can be very complicated and though it may take some extra effort it is possible to write on an opposite emotion then you may be feeling. In life we often put a smile on our face and feel totally different inside. So why couldn't our words be felt as happiness and wrote as sorrow if that's what the writer decides to do.
one4hymn
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one4hymn.html

Post by one4hymn »

I think that it is very hard to separate your feelings from the tone you are writing in. With that being said, I think that if you try to separate your feelings from a piece you're writing then you do not need to be writing that piece. Emotions are what relates the reader to your words and if the writer was distant from his/her feelings then the reader will feel the distance as well. Also, it depends on what feelings you are trying to convey. If you are trying to be cold and distant, then separating your own feelings from the tone of the piece would be fine, but if you are not, then it could potentially cause problems for your readers.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

zero_macabre wrote:
cashflower1 wrote:I believe that the possibilities are endless but only once you have mastered the art of putting your emotions to one side, for as in story telling, poetry is vast and can hold no bounds once you are able to drift away into another dimension. I have often privately wrote poetry which has recently reflected my own inner emotions, at times dark and deep and other times humourous and almost insane.
The secret I personally believe is escapism, returning to one's childhood imagination and the wonderful world of creativity....as in storytelling , put yourself there, live it and breathe it, believe in it, and just let it flow.
Well said! I agree with you. It is definitely possible to write poetry that contrasts with your current emotions at that time, but I think most poets find it easier to write poetry which relates to their emotions. If poets are writing poetry of a certain theme, perhaps it will be easier to put their emotions aside and write.
I agree as well. It's not just the emotions of the poet when they write the poem in play, but the reader as well. I find the more challenging (to read) poems the ones who can appeal to different emotions depending on how or even when they're read. One a friend recommended (unfortunately, she forgot to give me the name so I'll chase her once she's off the aeroplane) that can be read top to bottom or bottom to top, and either cheery or angsty depending on which way around it's read. It's hard to imagine an emotional state in which the poet could have pulled that off - which suggests that level of poetry writing is not only about putting emotions aside, but wearing them like an actor wears different roles. Then again, there are lots of ways to write poetry, just as there are lots of ways to write novels and some people find their best work when they're writing with their emotions, and others find their emotions limit them...
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

It's possible I think...but quite challenging
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

owensbook wrote:I think it makes it rather challenging to write beyond ones current emotion felt in the moment. However, I believe when you can construct a work of poetry beyond your emotion of feeling, you may then be in store for it being your best work ever composed - simply because it is out of the norm.
I agree wit this. I think once the poet is able to write out of his or her own emotions then he/ she then becomes masterful of his own art.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I've not previously considered writing poetry out of emotions different from what you feel. The work of a poet is chiefly to find the best possible expression for his thoughts and emotions. Poetry borne out of different emotions will seem a herculean if not impossible task.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

Poetry becomes excellent when it has emotion and sentiments.
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

I do think that it is possible to write a poem without involving your emotions or using a different tone than what you are currently feeling. All that being said, I believe that some of our greatest poetry comes when we are running on high emotions and when we pour that into an art form such as poetry.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html

Post by LadyClaire »

You are definitely right, firefairy. Poetry borne out of different emotions is possible but it would definitely be a poor work.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
jigmapa

Post by jigmapa »

If you are poetics you are emotional.
The activity of mind follow feelings.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

of course..like when you join a contest witha specific theme
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

It is difficult I've tried to write beyond the current state of feelings but it always ended up sounding like the way I was truly feeling flowing simply than when I force to write with emotions not being involved.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I guess that is the role of poetry to express someone's emotions through words

Return to “Poetry & Music”