If I had a Daughter by Sarah Kay

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Courtney-61
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-61.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

If I had a Daughter by Sarah Kay

Post by Courtney-61 »

I love this poem and I want to be able to recite it like Sarah Kay. She is very emotional and you can feel the passion in every word. I want to be able to tell my future daughter the lesson that are embedded throughout this poem. This poem is jammed packed with imagery that just makes you smile.
Some of my favorite lines are "There is nothing more beautiful than how the ocean refuses to stop kissing the sand no matter how many times it is sent away". This is such beautiful imagery and I can see how much a mother can love her daughter even if she pushes her away. Such dedication and love is packed into so few words. I can also see how this can be sad and beautiful. Just like if someone is constantly be turned away by the one they love but they keep coming back. They must love that person so much that they keep trying.
Another line I love is "This life will kick you hard in the face, wait for you to get back up just so it can kick you in the stomach. But getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how much like the taste of air" This is such a great life lesson. There are many things that will knock you down and bring you to place you don't want to be but when you get through the trouble times you reach a wonderful place of peace. The peace you reach may just be the 'normal' you were at but you appreciate it more. That is the main lesson that I get from this quote that you need to appreciate what you have because it hurts when its gone.
clso
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by clso »

If at all possible, see her perform live. Unforgettable ♡
tazdevil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazdevil.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by tazdevil »

I’ve never actually taken a look at the poem, but after reading the few quotes that you provided I am already interested in reading it. It seems so powerful and motivating.
The journey of a lifetime starts with the turning of a page. ~Rachel Anders
Tessa Morgan
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 57

Post by Tessa Morgan »

Oh my goodness, I just looked her up and "mind blown!", she has such passion and the message she brings across is so inspiring. I absolutely love her!
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

This sounds like an amazing poem! I'll have to look it up later and give it a read myself. The imagery you describe sounds great! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I've seen her perform live, and it was absolutely fantastic. More than her actual poems I love the quiet, soft strength that she has.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I love it too..mutual feelings here
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
imSunshine