Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
bjon terrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B01N49ILW2

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by bjon terrence »

Rap can be poetry without the sound track, that's just my humble take.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 10:37 It is, in my opinion, poetry in its crudest form. Some can be beautiful but when it degrades a group of people it is crude and shameful.
Rather like country music then. ;)
Renell1107
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Renell1107 »

I think that every song in every genre has a relation to poetry of some sort. The thoughts from every mind, the words from every song, and the music behind the lyrics all contribute to a person’s interest in wanting to hear something captivating.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Yes yes yes yes yes I definitely believe rap is poetry set to a rhythm. Rap as an art form has just as much depth as poetry, if not more because of different inflictions the artist can place on their words.

I love poetry, but in comparison to rap, I feel like it's a pretty flat medium. Or maybe I just haven't found the right poem
Aokidontknou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aokidontknou »

I think that they are similar but, there is a difference.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

This is very debatable. Some rappers write the rap as a poetry but others don't. I think it's a 50-50 for me.
-R
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

If you look at the history of rap, I don't understand why someone would say ot is not poetry. Just like any other field there is both the good and the bad but clearly to me its poetry.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

rap is simply telling a story or sharing an opinion while playing around with words. I think it is poetry.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
LovelyD27
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyd27.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by LovelyD27 »

I have a funny story about this topic, from about 20 years ago, when rap and heavy metal first met and riots were a thing at concerts. Public Enemy (rap) and Anthrax (metal) toured together and one of their stops was in Oakland, CA. Local media was all over the concert because local racial tensions were high at the time. My English teacher, this four and a half foot tall elderly lady, decided to take this local story and turn it into a class on poetry. She had every student bring in song lyrics of their favorite song - and she rapped every single one of them dressed as Flava Flav! It didn't matter if it was Metallica, Frank Sinatra, NWA, or the Bee-Gees, it was rapped to a beat. Then she did the same thing with poems by Dylan, Woodsworth, Shakespeare, Frost, and Poe. Turning poetry and rap on its ear for me, I had no real interest in either until that day...
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I think it is, i mean of course some rappers dont write it as such and other do but all in all is a written form of art and they treat it as such. Many lyrics of course leave all at to be desire but the same happens with any other form of art theres good, theres bad, and theres ok art. Rap is a way to express and maybe it has recived backlash for years but others forms of art did too and now are considered classics.

I think the best example is Tupac his lyrics are very strong and meaninfull and gave hope to many people even if they were questioned and banned when they first came out, and even today many people still question them but no one can deny they are powerfull and poetry.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

LovelyD27 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 23:08 I have a funny story about this topic, from about 20 years ago, when rap and heavy metal first met and riots were a thing at concerts. Public Enemy (rap) and Anthrax (metal) toured together and one of their stops was in Oakland, CA. Local media was all over the concert because local racial tensions were high at the time. My English teacher, this four and a half foot tall elderly lady, decided to take this local story and turn it into a class on poetry. She had every student bring in song lyrics of their favorite song - and she rapped every single one of them dressed as Flava Flav! It didn't matter if it was Metallica, Frank Sinatra, NWA, or the Bee-Gees, it was rapped to a beat. Then she did the same thing with poems by Dylan, Woodsworth, Shakespeare, Frost, and Poe. Turning poetry and rap on its ear for me, I had no real interest in either until that day...
Thats amazing i didnt get interest in poetry untill one of my teachers made as compare it to music too so i find your story cool.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
rupe10
Favorite Book: The Polished Hoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupe10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by rupe10 »

To me, of course rap is poetry -- the same way death metal, country, reggae, opera and any other genre is.

And just like 'traditional' poetry not all of it is good or bad.

It's a matter of personal taste or an acquired appreciation.

Just about anything written down or performed can be construed as poetry if one wants to actively approach it that way.
Shaquencia

Post by Shaquencia »

I think rap is poetry . Poetry don’t have to rhyme, raps don’t have to rhyme. What make poetry is when a person feeling down and can get the emotional distress out basically reading . Rap gets out a lot of anger and whatever you feelings . It’s about the type of rap it is . Like for example Tupac , he wrote poetry. Rap is poetry just different methods of rapping.
Ab001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab001.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Ab001 »

:idea2: Yes rap is a poetry that is meant to teach and inspire people
Successhit

Post by Successhit »

:lol2: For Me I think rap is poetry of it kind though it all base on who is rapping

Return to “Poetry & Music”