Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Johnoscar
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by Johnoscar »

For me is a no because,Rap is a popular art form that slightly resembles Spoken Word, but is very different in it's sound and culture. Raps focus is on the rhythm, rhyme, and musicality. Poetry is base on word flow and rhyme alone. Spoken Word is not based on rhyme, although rhyming is allowed.
Mslady143
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mslady143 »

Yes, I believe that Rap is Rhythm and Poetry and that it comes in many different forms. To actually write a poem takes time as to so does writing a rap that actually makes sense or others could relate too. Poetry is also words put together to express a certain emotion. The only difference is rap involves some type of music or instrument while most of the time poetry involves thoughts and emotions without music or instruments any added or just bonus to bring the poem to life
Shen9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shen9 »

Yes I honestly think Rap is poetry. Now If poetry was in one format how boring this world would've been. Notice how some rappers grabs us with those unknown metaphor having us eating out of there pawn even the way they incorporate us keeps us calm and after all that. Why wouldn't rap be poetry? For me it is no different from Shakespeare.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

It is, in my opinion, poetry in its crudest form. Some can be beautiful but when it degrades a group of people it is crude and shameful.
Ayo martins
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ayo martins »

Yes rap is certainly poetry! Listen to some good ones like Mosdef, Talib Kweli, Tupac ,Kanye West, and others that time and space won't allow here. Let's put aside the violence, It's evident in the figuratively arranged lyrics, and the abundant use of poetic devices used to convey the thoughts of the writer/rapper and of cause themes of the
situations on ground. Yes rap is poetry ! I'm not in anyway violent but I still listen to good rap. I look at many of them like poets and of cause they are.

I'm from Nigeria West Africa and I discovered similar forms of communication here, a by product of African oral tradition. These forms include ewi, ijala, ofo, ayajo, to mention just of them. These forms of entertainment and communication have dated back to pre slavery period. It's rightly believed that black slaves taken to the West took all these with them alongside other traditions. Rap emanated from all these forms mentioned above.
FhikaneRoy

Post by FhikaneRoy »

Rap stands for "Rythm and Poetry" so yes, rap is poetry accompanied by Rythm.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

It definitely can be. I can think of a number of artists whose flow and lyrics absolutely qualify as poetry!
Broderick33
Currently Reading:

Post by Broderick33 »

Yes, Rap is poetry, I would say more close to dub poetry.
Bright Baidoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Bright Baidoo »

Yeah rap is somehow a poetry.because some rap has a story line trying to explain an incident
Tur turee
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Tur turee »

Definitely, rap is a kind of poetry that has a beat to it.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Ayo martins wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 05:48 Yes rap is certainly poetry! Listen to some good ones like Mosdef, Talib Kweli, Tupac ,Kanye West, and others that time and space won't allow here. Let's put aside the violence, It's evident in the figuratively arranged lyrics, and the abundant use of poetic devices used to convey the thoughts of the writer/rapper and of cause themes of the
situations on ground. Yes rap is poetry ! I'm not in anyway violent but I still listen to good rap. I look at many of them like poets and of cause they are.

I'm from Nigeria West Africa and I discovered similar forms of communication here, a by product of African oral tradition. These forms include ewi, ijala, ofo, ayajo, to mention just of them. These forms of entertainment and communication have dated back to pre slavery period. It's rightly believed that black slaves taken to the West took all these with them alongside other traditions. Rap emanated from all these forms mentioned above.
This is a great response. I didn't know that about West African oral traditions, thanks for the info!

Rap is most certainly poetry.
hllrytnchn

Post by hllrytnchn »

yes rap is definitely poetry. All sorts of songs are actually a form of poetry, just like good songs there are bad ones too, probably those that don't really make sense. What i like about rap is how they convey their feelings, raw and true
Brittany927

Post by Brittany927 »

I believe that rap is poetry. yes some may be bout guns and violence but then again there is some out there that rap bout feelings & families. Alot of people dont know how they want to let things out so they turn to music and beats to help it come out. Many do not like rap but with most rap if you read the lyrics you will understand that its not a bunch of crap. It is poetry.
Ginge
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ginge »

Absolutely, rap is poetry. It cuts to the heart of the human condition in many rap songs. There are many rap lyrics that portray this and it's earlier reputation of guns and violence is becoming more and more 'not the case'.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Yes, absolutely.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “Poetry & Music”