Does Music affect what you are Reading

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Does Music affect what you are Reading

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I can't really read and listen to music at the same time. I tend to get so focused on the music that I can't concentrate on what I'm reading. In the middle of my freshman year of high school, the powers that be decreed that we would have thirty minutes of silent reading every day, and I used to hate it when teachers would try to "help" us by playing soft music in the classroom. I could never get my reading done!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I don't think this really happens to me! Usually if I'm listening to music while reading then it's just to block out any background noise, and I don't even really hear it after a while.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
maggie_412
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-412.html

Post by maggie_412 »

I can't listen to music and read at the same time I get distracted by the music and start to sing along to it.
JAislynn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 82432">Ash and Silver</a>
Currently Reading: The Fantasy Fiction Formula
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaislynn.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JAislynn »

I believe it does shape your reading experiences. Certainly it shapes both my reading and my writing. Purely orchestral is my primary preference now,

-- 22 Sep 2015, 06:21 --

I believe it does shape your reading experiences. Certainly it shapes both my reading and my writing. Purely orchestral is my primary preference now,
Nishan Dass

Post by Nishan Dass »

For me both should be done separately
Ryn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryn.html

Post by Ryn »

I love listening to music when doing just about everything - and almost always have music going while reading.

Often I just have whatever music genre I'm feeling like listening to playing while reading - but I do have some favourite go-to music selections for when reading specific books, series or authors. Some of these include;
-Books by Lori Wick - enjoy them most when listening to Josh Groan
-The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede - Dance Mix '95 is where it's at!
-Harry Potter series, or Harry Potter fan fiction - piano music, specifically; George Davidson, George Winston, Yiruma, David Latz
-On Stage, Please by Veronica Tennant - enjoy listening to Come Together: America Salutes the Beatles
-Lynn Kurland novels - mostly listen to Garou, but there are a few other French Pop artists that make it into the mix too
-Twilight series - strangely enough, I like to listen to the Twilight soundtracks with these books
Kaylaroach217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaroach217.html

Post by Kaylaroach217 »

When I am reading, it doesn't matter what sounds are in the background, everything else gets tuned out! I am a mother of 3, I can tune out anything. Reading is my peace and quiet time even if its loud.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I don't usually listen to music, if I do the volume is turned very low. If I read during the day I listen to the show or movie my son is listening to/ watching.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

With me, it is rather the opposite thing - I choose what to listen depending on what I am reading at the moment. If I am reading something darker for example, I may try to find such meaning in the lyrics of the songs, even if they were not meant this way.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Katethesail
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katethesail.html

Post by Katethesail »

I would say it does. The first time I read The Hunger Games my mom was playing the new Ace of Base album in the car, so all through those emotional scenes in the book became even more meaningful and emotional through this album. So whenever I hear a song from this album, I automatically re visit those scenes, emotions and thoughts. It's amazing!
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Yes but only if music is on while I'm reading. What I'm listening to separately does not have much of an effect on what I'm reading.
Xander_22
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xander-22.html

Post by Xander_22 »

The times that I have played music while reading it makes me anticipate turning the page even more, and I feel as if I am transported to another time. The only genre of music that I ever play if I'm going to read at the same time is classical, so yes that does affect how I read, as for other types of music I have no clue if they would make as much of a difference.
Megz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megz.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by Megz »

I know for a fact that for me music does not change the feel of the book for me. I happen to get so caught up in books that sometimes I dont even hear people talking to me. I just love it when authors can make me do that. But I also enjoying listening to music that the author listened to while writing the book, if they include it.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by anamcara »

When I'm reading, I prefer soft music such as light classical or other light instrumental music. Music that has more rhythm and/or lyrics tends to distract me!
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer
laney728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney728.html

Post by laney728 »

I think what I'm reading affects my music, actually.

Return to “Poetry & Music”