Favourite original album?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Favourite original album?

Post by Ryan »

Hello all!

It's becoming increasingly apparent that nobody appreciates the "album" anymore, and that's no surprise when a lot of the music out now is so atrocious that people refuse to spend money on them. But there's something incredibly satisfying about a beautifully crafted album, like a great collection of poetry or short stories in which every piece adds something to the others and gives the artist a voice. Think of the Lyrical Ballads by Wordsworth and Coleridge, or The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy ... both had a style and every poem contributed to the whole. I miss the days when music albums were like this. Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles), 21 (Adele), Thriller (Michael Jackson), Legend (Bob Marley) and Bat out of Hell (Meatloaf) are just a few examples of my favourite original albums, but there are so many more amazing ones to name.

I think it's time we gave the Album some love and much needed attention, and some time to appreciate its craft. Let us know which are your favourite original albums.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Shawn Mullins' Soul's Core
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Graverobber wrote:Shawn Mullins' Soul's Core
I always thought he looked a lot like Kurt Cobain in his younger years :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ryanj1 wrote:
Graverobber wrote:Shawn Mullins' Soul's Core
I always thought he looked a lot like Kurt Cobain in his younger years :)
Yeah :lol:

-- 13 Nov 2014, 18:17 --

Mumford And Sons 'Sigh No More'
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

Alt-J's "An Awesome Wave" is beautiful once you can learn to appreciate it.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

I grew up with music, managing a record shop and the album was more important than the single then
New Order's classic 1985 album Low Life is my favourite.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

OK, this is going to sound nuts, but my favorite album of all time was the last album made by The Mammas and the Papas. It was titled People Like Us. The critics panned it so harshly that I was able to buy two albums for a total of $2 at a five and dime. They were practically giving them away. Now the thing of it is this group knew that this would be their last album together as they were making it, and though they were resigned to splitting up I think they put something special - something I am hard pressed to define - into it. It is very subtle but I thought this was the most maturely presented album of their careers together. It is both glorious and sad at the same time. There are tracks of this album on You Tube if anyone is inclined to listen to them.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I can't even choose one, but these are the ones I was raised on:

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits
Songs From the Big Chair by Tears for Fears
The Best of the Alan Parsons Project
We Can't Dance by Genesis
Seal's original 1994 self-titled album
Every Breath You Take by the Police
Pure Moods I, II, III, IV
ohlahlaii09
Currently Reading: Burn for Burn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlahlaii09.html

Post by ohlahlaii09 »

Ever After by Marianas Trench :)
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I can't even choose one, but these are the ones I was raised on:

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits
Songs From the Big Chair by Tears for Fears
The Best of the Alan Parsons Project
We Can't Dance by Genesis
Seal's original 1994 self-titled album
Every Breath You Take by the Police
Pure Moods I, II, III, IV
Nice list, Meg! I have 'Brothers in Arms' and I like Seal's album too. My favourite from each is probably 'Brothers in Arms' and 'Kiss From a Rose'. Predictable, I know :)

Nice selections by the others too! A few more of mine are: 'Rubber Soul' by The Beatles, 'Lady in Satin' by Billie Holiday, 'Pet Sounds' by The Beach Boys, 'Nevermind' by Nirvana, 'Mothership' by Led Zeppelin, 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' by Bob Dylan and 'The Whole Story' by Kate Bush.

-- 17 Aug 2015, 23:25 --

@"zeldas_lullaby", you should check out 'The Classic Chillout Album'. It's very similar to 'Pure Moods' (it has some of the same songs, in fact) but there's a few cracking finds on there that aren't on the latter :)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, thank you, Grandmaster Ryan! I rarely find people who appreciate the music I was raised on. I love the title track on Brothers in Arms too--it's so haunting and melancholy. And the lyrics are so beautiful.

I used to have a dance for Kiss From a Rose... And you're familiar with Pure Moods too? Awesome! The first one is kind of in my family's history at this point... we'd play it endlessly, play cards, lots of memories. I may check out that album you mentioned if I do any music shopping soon! I don't listen to music much lately... it kinda clogs my mind somehow. But I've been listening a little bit more often lately. :-)
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

DATo wrote:OK, this is going to sound nuts, but my favorite album of all time was the last album made by The Mammas and the Papas. It was titled People Like Us. The critics panned it so harshly that I was able to buy two albums for a total of $2 at a five and dime. They were practically giving them away. Now the thing of it is this group knew that this would be their last album together as they were making it, and though they were resigned to splitting up I think they put something special - something I am hard pressed to define - into it. It is very subtle but I thought this was the most maturely presented album of their careers together. It is both glorious and sad at the same time. There are tracks of this album on You Tube if anyone is inclined to listen to them.
I'll check it out; I'm always up for listening to something new. I'm very familiar with their first album ('If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears'), which I like a lot. Beyond that I'm not very experienced with their work. Thanks! :)
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Hard to narrow it down to just one. As a record collector there are so many great albums to listen to. Van Morrison: Astral Weeks is on my top five list for sure. Pink Floyd: Meddle, Cannonball Adderley: Something Else, Dexter Gordon: One Flight Up (Tanya is one of the best jazz songs ever), U2: Joshua Tree, Beatles: Revolver and Rubber Soul, Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, Igor Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring. There are so many good albums to, hard to choose favorite. Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, Charles Mingus: Ah-Um, Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Ryan wrote:
DATo wrote:OK, this is going to sound nuts, but my favorite album of all time was the last album made by The Mammas and the Papas. It was titled People Like Us. The critics panned it so harshly that I was able to buy two albums for a total of $2 at a five and dime. They were practically giving them away. Now the thing of it is this group knew that this would be their last album together as they were making it, and though they were resigned to splitting up I think they put something special - something I am hard pressed to define - into it. It is very subtle but I thought this was the most maturely presented album of their careers together. It is both glorious and sad at the same time. There are tracks of this album on You Tube if anyone is inclined to listen to them.
I'll check it out; I'm always up for listening to something new. I'm very familiar with their first album ('If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears'), which I like a lot. Beyond that I'm not very experienced with their work. Thanks! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HblJLat7-s

Greatest masters of harmony who ever lived! Bit of trivia: Michelle Phillips once said that when they rehearsed or sang together they wouldn't begin to sing seriously until Harvey showed up. This was a nod to the movie where Jimmy Stewart had an imaginary friend, a six foot tall rabbit, named Harvey. "Harvey" was meant to represent the "spirit" who arrived when their harmonies were spot on perfect.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I have a big love for Mumford and Son's debut album Sigh No More, first album I've bought. :)
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Poetry & Music”