Listening to the same song repeatedly

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Embracing_Madness
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Listening to the same song repeatedly

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Sometimes, when a song really catches my attention, I'll play it on ListenOnRepeat over and over and over...and over and over...and over again. I can do this for more than a hundred times before I get tired of it, just having it in the background while I go about studying or reading or surfing the Net, which baffles some of my friends. Until I get it out of my system, however, I can't help it gravitating back to that same song (Currently, OneRepublic's Love Runs Out is the addictive song for my week. Still trying to parse what's going on in their bizarrely cool music video). How about you guys? Do you ever do the same thing?
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Years ago during my drinking days, I recall doing that w/ John Lennon's ' IMAGINE "
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

(suzy, I think I am following you today!)

Embracing_Madness : I know what you are talking about! I sometimes feel like I have to listen to something again and again to "get it out of my system" but then it takes such a long time to get it out. I don't really have any specific songs I can give as examples that I have used... but as a preschool teacher, I think my students are all hooked on that Let It Go song from that Disney movie. I haven't seen the movie, but I know the words to the whole song, in both Japanese and English.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

ALynnPowers wrote:(suzy, I think I am following you today!)

Embracing_Madness : I know what you are talking about! I sometimes feel like I have to listen to something again and again to "get it out of my system" but then it takes such a long time to get it out. I don't really have any specific songs I can give as examples that I have used... but as a preschool teacher, I think my students are all hooked on that Let It Go song from that Disney movie. I haven't seen the movie, but I know the words to the whole song, in both Japanese and English.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HEEEheeehehe, or I'm following you...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

For a while, I listened to "Let it Go" in multiple different languages, and I tend to listen to Hadestown over and over.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I'm not particularly into heavy metal, but more than once I've listened to The Beatles' (Paul McCartney's) proto-heavy metal "Helter Skelter" over and over again. It helps get me in the mood to write something edgy.

I wrote a children's short story almost entirely while listening to a piece over and over again because it helped me get the proper mood. I remember the piece, but don't know the name.

Anyone know of a computer program that lets you "hum a few bars" and find the tune?
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Gilmour's guitar solo in "Comfortably Numb"...absolutely amazing!
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I do sometimes. Lately its been an album by Dick Dale And The Del-Tones, The Tiger Is Loose. Great guitar numbers. He also does some very effective vocals.

Back in my party days I can remember listening to Reg Owen's Manhattan Spirtual over and over.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
skyfallDancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyfalldancer.html

Post by skyfallDancer »

When I'm upset, I'd loop the same song over and over until I calm down. Things like "Ghost Under The Umbrella" by utsuP or "Call Of The Wind" by Xandria.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I have a friend who comes here a couple times a week to use the computer and while using it she plays Ninety Miles An Hour by Hank Snow over and over again.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I don't like listening to things over and over because then it kills (ruins) the song for me and I can't listen to it anymore or I'll get tired and annoyed at hearing it. If I do hear a song too many times, I'll leave it and not listen for a long time, so that when I do I get a rush of nostalgia or whatever, and it feels good to listen to it.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

That does happen with a lot of songs. I remember when Elvis died, for about a year or so thats all you heard on the radio was Elvis, Elvis, Elvis. I liked him, but I got sick of him after a while. Even to this day I can only listen to a couple of his songs before I have to shut him off.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Ha ha, I thought I was the only one who does this! I also tend to get "stuck" on a particular song for awhile and have to work it out of my system by hitting "repeat" over and over again. I thought it was just another one of my Asperger's quirks, but I guess not! It's good to feel a little bit normal :lol: I also tend to sing or hum whatever song I'm hung up on when I cook, do chores, etc.

However, I'm ashamed to say that I'm somewhat of a hypocrite. My son does the same thing, but it gets on my nerves to hear him humming or singing the same song over and over. I have to keep reminding myself that the apple didn't fall far from the tree, so to speak.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

When I was younger and was having trouble in my life, I only listened to Fell On Black Days by Soundgarden for about an entire week straight. It was not a happy week to say the least.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

After my wife died I played Buddy Holly's True Love Ways over quite a bit, That was her favorite song.

Return to “Poetry & Music”