What do you think of the Modern Poetry today?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Kimberly Andaya
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-andaya.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

What do you think of the Modern Poetry today?

Post by Kimberly Andaya »

Do you prefer the classic poetry/ the ones under literary canon or the modern poetry now?
Seluleko Nhleko
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Seluleko Nhleko »

Today's poetry is very laid back compared to olden days poetry.Back then the poetry was about life lessons and tragedies.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Modern poetry of this modern-day and age is I think, vast and creative. Youths and other poets have now a wide array of access for inspiration to write a masterpiece. However, I can say, because of the influence of the internet, our creative artists now halt in making one, which is too way condescending and disheartening.
OliviaMadsen2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OliviaMadsen2 »

I think modern poetry is very useful to kids today. Especially those who were never caught in school doing well. Modern-day poetry doesn't have to be for kids who are avid readers. Modern-day poetry is easily relatable to those dealing with things in their own life, which happens to be every human on earth. People go through stuff in their lives and modern poetry can be easily relatable.
literatureonmymind
Currently Reading: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by literatureonmymind »

Everything in present day poetry is part of something bigger, because the world is much more connected today than ever, and styles are more diversified in a single place than ever. Their roots are often not forgotten, and many styles have a long past that is cherished as part of the poetry itself. We have the opportunity to look at how each element of poetry, and how it is interpreted by ourselves and others (which can also become part of the art, and maybe even stand to represent it in one's mind) is significant, and we can form opinions on it, that we can put in a piece of work yet again. Several of these little parts of poetry can be part of a longer story, or serve as mediums for a person using many different forms to write their poetry in.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DE Navarro »

I celebrate ALL poetry and I love modern and traditional and classic forms. I even enjoy experimental poetry. There are very few subgenres of poetry that I do not like or prefer myself, but I still respect and celebrate fellow poets and word artists for producing in those categories. For instance, I am not fond of sentimental poetry, also called "Hallmark" poetry because you might find it in a Hallmark card. Sentimentalism is a bit goopy for me, but I don't knock poets I know who write it, and who love it, and in my exploits as a poetry publisher and marketer I have learned that there is a very large audience for sentimental poetry and a lot of people love it and buy it. So who am I to say that those who want it cannot have it? I just celebrate that there are people who love to write that kind of stuff and people who like to read it. I'll stick to my preferences and loves in poetry and respect all others. This is the heart of diversity and inclusion. We should be this way about everything (my opinion). Best regards.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Classic and modern are seen to have a lot of differences now. Well, I can’t discount the classic poem. I find the modern one appealing and intact as living in the present.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DE Navarro »

Celebrate ALL POETRY.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

The poetry of today has changed a lot. I don’t think it's much more heartfelt than ever. Although poets now reinforce their skills in writing. I don't think the classical era of poetry can be replicated. Classic all the way!
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

I like modern because I can understand it better than the ones from the old days. And I am not really into any poetry except slam poetry which is more modern. It really shines a light on modern day issues.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think its good, and every era has changes that are appreciated only once the era is gone but that said, I do prefer older poetry.

Return to “Poetry & Music”