Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Teenagers should be taught how to write poetry because this is their way to vent their emotions, be it a happy or sad emotion. Writing poetry would help them express their sentiments, ideas, advocacy, among others. It develops their wits and their language skills
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Alexander Watson
Currently Reading: The Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-watson.html

Post by Alexander Watson »

Yeah, i know a lad that writes poetry now and again.. It seems to be quite relaxing and refreshing for him. He's a farmer lad but he didn't mind getting into trouble. I think being able to seperate himself for a while and focus on his imagination was a great practise.
He was talking about writing a poetry book, I told him to crack on.. Not sure how far he's got :)
Barely any tennagers read or write poetry these days and its a shame
Corinnethereader
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinnethereader.html

Post by Corinnethereader »

I'm not sure if this is something you *should* teach more than it's an expressive channel that should be encouraged.

If you understood what our teens are going through, you would get why they need more forms of expression.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think there is anything wrong with Teens being taught the basic forms to poetry. I also don't think there is anything wrong with having a creative writing assignment to get the Teens writing some poetry. However, I think it's wrong to try to grade their poetry, because poetry is such a subjective thing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

I do not see a reason to teach poetry. If a person would like to pursue poetry they can easily do so on their own.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Avidreaderj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Avidreaderj »

Of course!
It is such a brilliant way to convey one's story and emotion.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I teach in a high school. I've found that in general education classes, such as English I and II, poetry should be introduced as a tool of self expression. Connecting it to music is a great pull in for interest. You can teach styles, but you can't really evaluate the quality of the art without restricting the artist. Teaching the basics of poetry technique such as simile, metaphor, symbolism, etc. belongs here too.

The deeper study of poetry and an appreciation of classic and profound contemporary poets should be reserved for the upper level elective classes such as British Lit., American Lit., and World Lit. where the students have elected to study the literature forms seriously.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Yes. It is a way to communicate on how one feels, without the overload struggle of emotions that they don't know how to deal with.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I don't think the art of writing poetry can necessarily be taught. I do think that it's impact and importance in the literary world can, and yes ithink this should be taught.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reigning
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reigning.html

Post by Reigning »

Yes they should! Not just teenagers but kids of writing age should be taught. I feel its a great way to express themselves etc. I wish I had that touch but sadly I do not. Now, my husband on the other hand is amazing. I love reading his poems.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Poetry like any art, is both a skill and a talent. Unfortunately, many arts have been removed from American schools for lack of funding. One must be taught some of the basic skills first. Then an art can be ignored or embraced as a form of self expression no matter what the talent level.

Fortunately, poetry and drama are taught throughout the English curriculum. Some people in this thread have argued that poetry isn't relevant to everyday life. I argue that literature appreciation is more useful then algebra or physics!
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
soulsinlove
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by soulsinlove »

yes teenagers should be taught to write poems cause they can make a song of it

-- 02 Feb 2017, 18:38 --

also it great reading poems too

-- 02 Feb 2017, 18:39 --

hopefully poems help them write their own songs
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

I really liked learning how to write poetry in school, and after the first one or two everyone would get into it, getting quiet and thinking and taking it seriously, and allowing students to be creative and more appreciative of all types of written works, not just the classics, but of different poets as well and the different styles.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Poetry is the most beautiful form of literature and its the lucid fact that it has acquired a little space among the people.So if we provide moderate conducive roadmap to learn it then it will improve the teenagers grip to grasp this great language.
As it is not the choice ,on the other hand it is the pivotal part of language.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by papaya12 »

I think that to ever become good at writing poetry you have to have a love for it. So, I think that you should have one class that everyone has to attend so that people realize that they have a knack for it. Then, it should be their own choice to continue in a poetry club or something of the sort. Nothing is going to be gained by forcing poetry writing on unwilling teenagers.

Return to “Poetry & Music”