Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Veronica75
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 77

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Veronica75 »

Yes I was taught only the surface of how to write a poem
I will encourage teenagervto learn how to write poems
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

Yes, definitely. It can help them express and at their age considering all the things they're going through, poetry would be a very effective outlet.
sheilla the great
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sheilla the great »

Yeah they should be taught how to write poetry, that's where they get to know if they have the passion, and if they do, they get to be taught the necessary skills to poetry
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

Can one really be taught? You only learn the basics and terms. Writing comes from the inside.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Eve Rocha

Post by Eve Rocha »

:techie-studyingbrown: Yes:techie-studyinggray:
janeelala

Post by janeelala »

Yes. Teenagers should be taught to write poetry but not to the extent of forcing them. I believe that becoming poetic is an inate talent which of course can be developed through the years. I think it can be taught as a form of release for teenagers who are having a hard time to connect with people.
mmartinez2671

Post by mmartinez2671 »

Yes, teenages should be taught to write poetry, because it can help them comprehend,
expand and utilize their vocabulary. It's a form of art and expression they could use to communicate
without having to vocalize words when they don't feel like they can.
It sharpens the mind in my beliefs period.
bookreviewer_
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bookreviewer_ »

As a teenager, I can say that not all of us are interested in these kind of “things”. However, for the teenagers who are willing to try out new experiences and new chapters in life, sill surely be interested in being taught how to write poetry. Poetry teaches us a variety of lessons, not just in life itself, but in ourselves as well. Problems come and go and most of the time, teenagers use extracurricular activities to forget, prevent sadness or to temporarily feel happiness. It affects us in every way, such as mentally, physically and even spiritually at times. Therefore, I think it’s important that teenagers learn poetry. For what I learned based on my experiences on workshops with other teens, poetry helps us let out our feelings from deep inside. We get to open up, and have a peace in our minds.
Mslady143
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mslady143 »

I think everyone should learn about poetry it's a form of expression in lyrics and paper sometimes poetry can be a way of sharing how you feel on paper or through physcial expressions why not teach our teengers positive writing
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think teenagers should be taught how to write poetry because it is a good way for them to express themselves.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
joy parker

Post by joy parker »

Yes!! Because poetry is a large life expression and many people are living poetry! Poetry is going deep and giving a full view of human life.
Halfwaytoit

Post by Halfwaytoit »

My only hesitation is that it’s easy to dislike something you’re forced to do instead of encouraged to do. So I think the option should always be there (like in CW classes), but we shouldn’t make it mandatory like we do with reading list.
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

As with every skill - innate or learnt- the techniques of poetry writing can be taught to teenagers irrespective of whether they were born with the talent or not.

Teens are at an age when they are trying to identify themselves and their place in the world; feelings run riot. Poetry provides a good medium to express those feelings without the encumbrance of lengthy essays.

I have seen a student who through guided practice became good at writing poetry. She used it to vent her frustrations and glorify her joys. It's unlike visual arts. The skills that performing and creative art need can be learnt once one is committed to doing so.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I believe they should try. I believe everyone should try. Even if they think they aren't good, they can still say that they tried. That is the most important status in life.
official_arvie_12
Currently Reading: How to Shop For Free
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by official_arvie_12 »

a friend once told me that when writing a poem, there is no right or wrong grammar, you could only see the beauty of the poem when you express you emotions to it.

Return to “Poetry & Music”