Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by AA1495 »

Genaaa wrote:I think it should be optional. Some people prefer to write poetry while some people actually enjoy reading it instead. I for one definitely enjoy reading it way more than writing it. Writing poetry is just something I don't really enjoy.
True. However, these days, if you want to write poetry, you've to make that special effort.
little_one
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by little_one »

I personally do think that poetry should be taught more in schools because there is something about poetry for me at least that lets me feel free in a way. Free to be me, free to be unique, free to be different, free to say anything that could mean different things to other people. I am a student and I feel that they don't teach poetry enough. I love poetry and writing it because it makes me feel like I can help someone through sending a message through poetry. Poesltry can have so many different meanings to different people and many students don't see that.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Big YES! When I was a teen I found poetry was such a great outlet for expressing my emotions. Nothing bad can come from learning poetry, especially at such a young age!
CHARULATHA_PRAKAASH

Post by CHARULATHA_PRAKAASH »

I think they should be exposed to the form. Should be taught rhyme and meter at a young age, so those that are musically and visually inclined would develop a flair for it. It does not mean that the poetry thus created is contrived. Some have a natural flow while some others can compose if they are guided in the form. Yes, agreed that poetry is the outburst of the soul, that way all literature is, only that this form is more often lyrical and appeals directly to the senses. If you are an original, well and good, but no harm if you cultivate the habit, you are no less a poet! It is still the outburst of powerful emotions, spontaneous or not does not matter!
clairesthilaire
Currently Reading: Bloods
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairesthilaire.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by clairesthilaire »

I would argue that poetry can't be taught, because it is so emotionally self-expressive. However, mentorship and connections with other artists can improve one's skill drastically. Poetry shouldn't be taught to teens as part of a complete education in high school, however, (unless maybe as an elective) because being able to compose poems is not a skill that is required to be a functioning member of society. Basic math skills, literacy - which may include reading poetry - and an understanding of science, politics and history are more important to ensure the next generation can support themselves and vote.

I would also point out that our youth do enjoy a lot of poetry today. Perhaps not classical poetry, but I would argue that true rap is a modern form of poetry. It is self-expressive, rhythmic and emotional. Because poetry is so emotional each generation wants artists that express what they are feeling. For this generation, many rap artists have achieved that.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Genaaa wrote:I think it should be optional. Some people prefer to write poetry while some people actually enjoy reading it instead. I for one definitely enjoy reading it way more than writing it. Writing poetry is just something I don't really enjoy.

If they are never taught the foundations of writing poetry then how will they know if it's something they might enjoy? Part of an education is experiencing different things.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

You have to know how to articulate your words and say what you mean in an artistic way, and lots of teenagers today lack that capability.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Ha! Though i love to write, poetry is not my forte. Plus there is enough.load by.other subjects so adding this is definitely not going to help. It should be kept optional. If people want to then they can take though i doubt that many.people will. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
IReadJSherman
Currently Reading: 50 More Hikes in New Hampshire
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by IReadJSherman »

I think everyone has an artist & poet inside. Though some of us are more able to express our reactions to this world through poetry and/or art. What happens many times when people are given a chance (education) to play with this through structure, it enables some who previously used the “I Can’t” into “Wow this is Fun”. Education is a powerful thing.
Bluroostr1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluroostr1.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Bluroostr1 »

I think poetry gives the teenager a chance to delve deeper into certain aspects of society that they would otherwise not be confronted with. Love, loss, etc. While some of these could easily be found on a program such as Netflix, poetry enhances the imagery and emotion behind the English language.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
AmzA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amza.html

Post by AmzA »

I personally believe poetry is what you make it yourself and there us no write or wrong way to write poetry. Yes some poetry styles do have certain rules which can be taught but poetry itself is not something that has to be taught in my opinion but much rather to be encouraged and made aware of amongst younger people.
JenChevez

Post by JenChevez »

Yes I think so. You can so much from poetry. Whether understandinget lyrics or conveying emotions. It can be so fun and there's unlimited possibilities.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

My school was one of those who didn't teach music...nor really taught creative writing of any sort. We were allowed to do it on our own, and some assignments were open enough to allow it but the marks would automatically get scaled up or down so you either did really well or really poorly, so it was rather silly in that aspect. In any case, you had to take the initiative yourself to do any sort of creative writing. No teaching, no formal club, no anthology to publish student pieces and nothing to really invite them to try.

Reading poetry on the other hand was a prominent part of our curriculum, and it was because of all the poetry reports I wrote that I picked up writing poetry myself. Still, I would have liked some formal teaching: how to read meter, for example. Writing is part structure and part freedom, and the same applies to poetry. It's much easier now with the internet and online causes and even books in the library that help self-teaching in that aspect, but you can't really pick up a pen and start writing if you don't know your alphabet and how they string into words and sentences etc.

On the other hand, not every student will be interested. Should those students who dislike poetry be forced to learn how to write it if it's not part of the standard english year 12 (or whatever the final year equivalent is for you guys) exams? I think I'd prefer it as an optional elective: that way, I know I'd be in a class with people who enjoy the subject as much as I do (or, at the very least, picked it as the lesser of few evils).
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
JenChevez

Post by JenChevez »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:My school was one of those who didn't teach music...nor really taught creative writing of any sort. We were allowed to do it on our own, and some assignments were open enough to allow it but the marks would automatically get scaled up or down so you either did really well or really poorly, so it was rather silly in that aspect. In any case, you had to take the initiative yourself to do any sort of creative writing. No teaching, no formal club, no anthology to publish student pieces and nothing to really invite them to try.

Reading poetry on the other hand was a prominent part of our curriculum, and it was because of all the poetry reports I wrote that I picked up writing poetry myself. Still, I would have liked some formal teaching: how to read meter, for example. Writing is part structure and part freedom, and the same applies to poetry. It's much easier now with the internet and online causes and even books in the library that help self-teaching in that aspect, but you can't really pick up a pen and start writing if you don't know your alphabet and how they string into words and sentences etc.

On the other hand, not every student will be interested. Should those students who dislike poetry be forced to learn how to write it if it's not part of the standard english year 12 (or whatever the final year equivalent is for you guys) exams? I think I'd prefer it as an optional elective: that way, I know I'd be in a class with people who enjoy the subject as much as I do (or, at the very least, picked it as the lesser of few evils).

Usually it really does depend on the school. Our high school had either English or AP English. And then in college I took creative writing and I learned alot more. (Not required by everyone but I was an English major anyhow) It will also depend on your teacher. There are some teachers where you won't learn much because they are just doing their job and others where you absorb what they teach because they truly love teaching. And in some ways we are lucky these days, with all the technology around us. We can learn so much more if we wanted to.
June14+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-june14.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by June14+ »

I do believe that all should learn how to write poetry. Everyone lives in poetry everyday listening to music. Poetry is the sword you weld to maneuver through emotions. I believe that Dead Poet's Society said it best (paraphrasing here), 'what does learning poetry have to do with becoming a lawyer or a doctor, yes fellows you're right. You have to do these things to live you life. But poetry, love is what you live for."
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Poetry & Music”