Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Umm_Zahra »

official_arvie_12 wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 00:34 a friend once told me that when writing a poem, there is no right or wrong grammar, you could only see the beauty of the poem when you express you emotions to it.

The beauty of poetic license!😃
Naresh607
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Naresh607 »

Teenagers pass through various emotional and physical ups and downs.. So I think teenagers should be taught to write poems because it helps to express their feelings and make better of it
OzichiO
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozichio.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by OzichiO »

I think it should be something that the students can choose to do instead of it being a mandatory subject. Forcing it on kids would only make them resent poetry and never want to see nor involve themselves in it ever again.
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Poetry is too advanced and niche, it would be more value teaching them how to read first, and I mean really read it, becoming a true reader capable of understanding, breaking down and analyzing texts.
mccreanna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by mccreanna »

As a teacher of elementary students, I think most kids have a natural interest in poetry. Like when you teach a kid that songs are poetry, they become obsessed with making their own poems and are always so proud to show them off! I think high school (and maybe even college) focuses far too much on analyzing texts to an extent that makes it unenjoyable. We should teach students to read poetry and fiction and nonfiction for authentic purposes - to enjoy it. Otherwise, they're missing the point.
Britanica92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Britanica92 »

I honestly don't think poetry is something that your able to teach someone how to do. Its an art, some are born with it and others aren't.
Tur turee
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Tur turee »

Maybe it should be taught in school as part of the syllabus but I believe poetry is inbuilt
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Poetry can sound like random spurts of mixed language and rhyme and be called beautiful, yet there's a reason we recognize poets like Edgar Allen Poe, Maya Angelou and Emily Dickinson.

None of these poets were officially taught, but had a deliverance of soul in their works.

Yes, writing is something that can be taught, like playing an instrument or learning to sculpt, but it'll lack that innate something that makes all these works viciously beautiful.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Thabiso98

Post by Thabiso98 »

I for one, appreciate poetry because Poetry is an Art, and art is rich,connects the soul to reality, thus teenagers should be educated on Poetry and grow to study it.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

I also love poetry, and it is definitely an art. I think teenagers and students should definitely be taught what poetry is and studying great poets and popular poems/collections should be part of their curriculum, but I don't necessarily think they should be made to create poetry, just that they should be educated on it. Nothings worse than forced poetry created by teenagers because they had to.
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by LanieTaj »

Poetry is in the heart of everyone else. You can write a poetry based on your emotions, right? So why do we need a skill just to say that i'm a great writer of poetry? Added to this, teenager's thinking nowadays are more on emotional. Some them, including me, i expressing myself, my emotions, through poetry. Nobody taught me to write poetry. It's my free will.
Warriorsoul2018

Post by Warriorsoul2018 »

I have an hard time expressing my self.I would love to learn how to express myself through poetry and make it sound beautiful
garuthesnail001
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by garuthesnail001 »

Yes let them learn poetry. Learning poetry is good form of art, show them what is poetry and maybe it will change their mindset that poetry is cool. Like now i don't know what they call it something like Spoken poetry please correct me if i am wrong hehe, it is a good way to let the younger generation to learn poetry.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

Should they be taught poetry? Sure, it's part of literature. Should they be forced to learn how to write poetry? Hell no. The fact is, there's many people who don't like poetry at all, and forcing them to partake in that is like saying everybody must take mandatory business classes. It wouldn't be sustainable or fair.
I personally dislike poetry and I dislike whenever I had to read poems in school, but I knew it was necessary. I would've either flunk poetry classes or passed them with the bare minimum if I had had them.
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

You can't teach poetry! Evert time my teachers wanted me to write poetry, I produced rubbish. I didn't like poetry and everyone I had to write poetry it got worse. Than I found poetry slams on YouTube, which opend my eyes for poetry. Now I would love to learn how to improve my own poetr. But after all I thing teachers should work hardet for opening the Kids eyes for poetry instead of teaching them how to write stuff, they don't even like

Return to “Poetry & Music”